Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you define success
Making lots of money no matter how its done (buying politicians, stepping on others etc) 2 8.70%
Making lots of money but taking into consideration the impacts on other people. 1 4.35%
Being recognized via awards and career achievements with wealth a secondary consideration. 0 0%
The ability to gain power over others. 0 0%
Fame and Popularity 0 0%
The one with the most toys wins. 2 8.70%
Having a loving family and friends is good enough. 1 4.35%
The contributions I make to society before I die. 3 13.04%
Acheieving a balanced life consisting of just enough money to live with good family and friends. 2 8.70%
Acheiving Happiness and Peace regardless of the material items, money I have or people I know. 12 52.17%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 04:28 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,958,699 times

Advertisements

I am sure there are many other definitions to success than listed, but am curious which way this will go in a political forum, since politics is all about, what can politics do for me or us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 04:29 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Living well.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:30 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,354 times
Professionally, I will consider myself successful when I am making a decent living doing something that I enjoy.
Personally, living a happy, healthy, comfortable life with my family is all I need to consider myself successful.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:31 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Too broad a question to be able to answer. Try narrowing it down.

E.g.: Success in business? Success in ones personal life? Success in politics? Success in finally conquering that one problem you've been trying to solve for weeks?

Today, I'm finishing the workday with nothing left to do. That's how I define success - at least at this moment.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:33 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,968,141 times
My vote is the last one.

It took me 40 years to learn it. Most never do and waste their entire lives. Happiness is found in serving other people - meeting the needs they have in a way that brings pride to yourself for having been competent and capable.

It is also the means by which you earn an honest living and sleep well at night.

If we all did that, this nation would, again, as it was a century ago, be a beacon of prosperity to the world.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:36 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
I am sure there are many other definitions to success than listed, but am curious which way this will go in a political forum, since politics is all about, what can politics do for me or us.
Personal peace
stable family
one wife
productive and confident children who are hard working and have dreams
the ability to remain curious and want to learn new things
quiet time alone on the farm
the ability to do and derive satisfaction from physical labor (I like to build things-anything)
ability to give to others
ability to finally accept faith
ability to find purpose in work and my profession

My life is very "small" compared to my net wealth and income. When I buy farmland, people are surprised when I tell them I will just write them a check, as I am dressed like a homeless person on the weekends. However, I have found that the above things really make me more "happy" than adding a few more "sheckles" (sp- libs are obsessed with spelling errors) to a portfolio that they will bury me with.

My farm truck "blew up" a few weeks ago. I was dressed in my "farming costume" when they hauled the burned hulk of my truck into the dealership. I had only $200 in my pocket. I told the guy where I lived and who my neighbors were. He said,"okay- just put $1500 on a card and give me a check next week".

Don't judge a book by its cover.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:37 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
Success is being able to meet my needs on my own, with no entitlement or unearned help from anyone or anything.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Too broad a question to be able to answer. Try narrowing it down.

E.g.: Success in business? Success in ones personal life? Success in politics? Success in finally conquering that one problem you've been trying to solve for weeks?

Today, I'm finishing the workday with nothing left to do. That's how I define success - at least at this moment.
Good point, but in general what comes to mind when you think of success?

Old 10-11-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
My vote is the last one.

It took me 40 years to learn it. Most never do and waste their entire lives. Happiness is found in serving other people - meeting the needs they have in a way that brings pride to yourself for having been competent and capable.

It is also the means by which you earn an honest living and sleep well at night.

If we all did that, this nation would, again, as it was a century ago, be a beacon of prosperity to the world.

Agreed. I should have become a monk instead. This reality we have created for ourselves is actually digging us deeper in the wrong direction.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:49 PM

Though not many have voted or do not want to vote, kudos to those that chose #10
I wonder what politicians would choose if they voted?

I think spending millions of dollars on campaigns out of their own money and others would tend to suggest they would opt for Power and Money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies