Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 05:53 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,386,289 times

Advertisements

White House rejects key part of House Republican proposal on debt ceiling - The Washington Post

Here is the GOP offer
In a nut shell: "Ok , we give up. We'll drop our guns, release the hostages, and come out with our hands up. Oh, but you can't arrest us. And, we reserve the option of taking hostages again in three weeks... AND, we STILL demand $1 Million and a helicopter!"

Obama's response? "How bout noooooo"

Laughing my ass off here! The GOP House is the funniest redneck show on TV since Hee Haw!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 05:55 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I had to chose between food and paying for my chemotherapy and numerous associated medical bills. Normally, medical bills won out. Sometimes, I was so desperate that I did not take medications (typically relating to pain and anxiety), deferred scans, and more. This was with insurance, but I had just turned 23 and was living on entry level wages.

This weekend, I'm going to spend some time with this guy, a homeless young adult cancer survivor living in my city. He's made some mistakes, like dropping out of college (not having children he couldn't afford or becoming an addict), but his medical bills from being diagnosed with cancer at 21 still haunt him 5 years later. He's living in his car.

We need universal healthcare. For every sob story about Obamacare, I could tell you a story about a young adult with cancer who does not WANT to survive due to the desperate situations their finances are in after treatment is over. Hundreds or, if lucky, tens of thousands of dollars of debt. Not all of these people were uninsured - this is happening to us while on insurance too. Their only crime was getting sick when they were too young to have much earning power or savings.
It happens to people in all age groups, not just the young, and as you said, even to people with insurance. Illness accounts for more than 60% of all bankruptcies in this country, which is scandalous. I agree, universal healthcare must be the next step. No one should ever have to choose between feeding themselves or their family and getting the care they need. It's a disgrace that this happens so routinely in the richest nation in the world.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:01 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Well the best you can come up with its the tea partys fault. Seems to be replacing its Bushes fault.
But you liberal whackos will never put any of the fault in its a bad law, bad healthcare , just blame the tea party. The problem is the more we find out about it the worse it is getting. That is what happens when we have to pass a bill to know what was in it.
to assess fault to a situation that can not be proven or authenticated is futile...much like these threads.

Do you know this person's personal information? of course you dont. you take information 2nd hand and make all kinds af assessments of ACA and ACA supportes base on what? first hand information?...Of course not.

believe what ever make you feel better...or in the RWNJ world... worse.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:06 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Exactly right. The governor turned down federal money to expand Medicare which would have covered this woman and many others, money that has now gone to other states. People in her situation across the country will have healthcare, but because her governor is an ass, she will not. There is nothing here that is the fault of the president or Democrats, who put provisions in place to make sure this didn't happen.

Blame is 100% on Corbett. He cares nothing about his own constituents as long as he can look like a hero to the Tea Pahem to vote with their feet.rty idiots. I hope Pennsylvania is paying attention. This is a state that has gone blue in the last two presidential elections. Time to vote this heartless ideologue, and all the others like him, out on their asses.

This is PRECISELY a problem with federalism which I and many liberals have long complained about: states have an incentive to concoct policies like this (not expanding Medicaid) in order to further the objective of getting rid of the poor by getting them to vote with their feet.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:07 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
So she's paying her current medical insurances premiums herself???

She's one of the ones Obamacare is designed to screw.

In the great robbing-Peter-to-pay-Paul game the liberals pay, she's a "Peter".

My sympathies.
I'm feel dirty even asking you a question directly, but what is your solution for this woman's problem? If she doesn't make enough to pay for subsidized insurance (before tax rebates) but makes too much for Medicaid, and the state has refused to expand Medicaid to cover her family then what is she to do? Given the law and the options given to the states how is this not the Governors fault?

What should be done?

Old 10-11-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
What's tragic is that this tragedy is caused to Republicans at the state level playing political games and refusing the expand Medicaid as per the plan. This woman's pain is, of course, their gain. You can bet she was getting subsidized in the past - don't tell me that somewhere in the past world of healthcare she was able to get a great comprehensive plan out of pocket.

Also caused by Democrats, who tied Medicaid expansion to increased costs on the states. They COULD have held the states harmless, but nooooo....

Old 10-11-2013, 06:11 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
I'm feel dirty even asking you a question directly, but what is your solution for this woman's problem? If she doesn't make enough to pay for subsidized insurance (before tax rebates) but makes too much for Medicaid, and the state has refused to expand Medicaid to cover her family then what is she to do? Given the law and the options given to the states how is this not the Governors fault?

What should be done?
Given that the video stated that both she and her husband are disabled, how did she get insurance self-pay on her own for such a low cost? Pre-existing conditions could exclude people for something as simple as asthma. Something here does not make sense.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
The money is going to be spent, genius. But it will be spent in other states, leaving millions of people like this woman out in the cold. There was no reason to turn down the funding that was appropriated for Medicare expansion except to be an ass. Republican governors Brewer, Kasich, Scott, Christie and Snyder were not too stupid to expand Medicare in order to cover the poor in their state. I have no love for any of them, but at least in this case, they put their constituents first.

??? Choosing to not spend state dollars is being an ass?

Old 10-11-2013, 06:19 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? Choosing to not spend state dollars is being an ass?
They were not state dollars, they were federal dollars that had been appropriated in order to expand Medicare to cover an increased number of poor. Corbett turned the money down. It went to other states, leaving many poor Pennsylvanians out in the cold. Yeah, that's being an ass.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
They were not state dollars, they were federal dollars that had been appropriated in order to expand Medicare to cover an increased number of poor. Corbett turned the money down. It went to other states, leaving many poor Pennsylvanians out in the cold. Yeah, that's being an ass.

The full federal expansion money phases out and in a few years PA would have to pay a bunch of its own dollars for Medicaid expansion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies