Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 01:39 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Cigarette use kills more Americans than all illegal drugs combined.

Alcohol is involved in 30% of car crashes. Marijuana... less than 1%.

Why do we still have some our drug laws still on the books?
It has a double net effect of being able to lock up lots of blacks, browns, and poor white people while feeding hundreds of millions to the prison industrial complex.

Not to mention how good and noble it makes us all feel just seeing all those "criminals" locked up.

So really it's a 3fer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 02:16 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Do any of you geniuses think that maybe it's because legal drugs/rx drugs are more accessible and people think they are ok to take because it's legal/acceptable to do so?

p.s. I have seen many people die from a regular/standard dose of illegal drugs...never from ONE tylenol.
I think the pro-drug side is now actually trying to say that keeping their drugs illegal is actually making them be safer.

What this article claims makes it seem fine that there is no government regulation of heroin, meth, krokodil, cocaine, etc because they're very safe just as things are. Legalizing might make them become as dangerous as they claim aspirin and tylenol are.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:10 PM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Well if we ban guns and prescription drugs think of all the lives we can save!

Old 10-12-2013, 07:10 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Uh huh.

Get out the tiny violins.

It's a genetic predisposition that hasn't been weeded out of the gene pool yet.
I wonder if discriminatory and bigoted attitudes might ever be weeded out of the gene pool...

Old 10-12-2013, 07:20 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Drug addicts are fine until they expect the taxpayers to provide them free health care, food stamps and welfare checks. It's time to get the government truly out of their addictions, let the addicts start paying their own way and if they lose their jobs because they prefer drugs to all else, they can figure it out.
Why do you assume that all drug addicts want free healthcare and food stamps. You think only the poor are addicts. I know you can't be that naive.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:06 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
As soon as krokodil makes it big here, the drug addiction problem will start to go away.

it will never make it big here!!! once all them heroin addicts get a wiff of the gangrene rotten flesh that will scare em off...

Old 10-12-2013, 08:12 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
I'm in favor of legalizing all drugs and making them as cheap as possible, i.e. not taxing them.

The drug addicts will be dead in a year and that problem will be solved.
Whose problems will be solved? The loved ones they leave behind? You speak of drug addicts like they are the lowest thing in the world. Addiction is a desease.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:17 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It has a double net effect of being able to lock up lots of blacks, browns, and poor white people while feeding hundreds of millions to the prison industrial complex.

Not to mention how good and noble it makes us all feel just seeing all those "criminals" locked up.

So really it's a 3fer.
So crazy.

Meanwhile others do the exact same thing with impunity. We have selective Policing in this country.

The discussion is picking up. It's still hush hush but becoming more open. People are growing tired of the Drug War.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:20 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Oh sheesh. (Self-facepalm.)

My mistake. Not having much medical knowledge, I thought the liver was part of the renal system. I realized the renal system involved the kidneys, but I thought it included the liver as well.

I stand corrected, and thanks for the clarification. Knowledge is a good thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Studies do not rule out kidney issues. While one may debate certain aspects of the studies, ruling out kidney issues is not widely accepted. The body must filter everything it takes in in some way.

Analgesic Nephropathy (Painkillers and the Kidneys) - National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse

quote:
But some conditions make taking even these common painkillers dangerous for the kidneys. Also, taking one of these drugs regularly over a long period of time may increase the risk for kidney problems. Most drugs that can cause kidney damage are excreted only through the kidneys. That is, they are not broken down by the liver, as alcohol is, or passed out of the body through the digestive tract. Analgesic use has been associated with two different forms of kidney damage: acute renal failure and a type of chronic kidney disease called analgesic nephropathy.
as a dialysis patient, i can tell you that asprin, tylenol, and other nsaids, like ibuprofen, do affect the kidneys. in someone with healthy kidneys, the effect is quite small taken as directed. even an 81mg(the so called baby asprin) asprin per day is not harmful for healthy kidneys. but these same pain relievers will harm diseased kidneys, pushing them ever closer to total failure.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:28 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
So crazy.

Meanwhile others do the exact same thing with impunity. We have selective Policing in this country.

The discussion is picking up. It's still hush hush but becoming more open. People are growing tired of the Drug War.
actually what i am growing tired of is the stupidity surrounding the drug war. the government makes certain narcotics illegal, the addicts complain because they get busted for possession, but they wont, or cant, quit. the government then turns around and creates the RICO laws to use as a hammer against the mafia and the drug lords, and then they quietly expand it to include anyone who breaks certain laws. thus the government can seize assets as they see fit, and the person, who has no charges against them, has to go to civil court to prove that their assets did not commit any crimes and are in fact legal assets, and that effort is made as difficult as possible, and the amount of time allowed to file against civil forfeiture is limited to like ten days, barely enough time to find a lawyer to take the case.

and then there are the people on the other side, always trying to make claims that these drugs that are illegal should be legal because of this or that study that says these drugs are harmless compared to cigarettes and alcohol. if you want to change the drug laws in this country, then go to the source of the laws, the state and federal legislatures, and bring serious documentation that what you say is true, because they have documentation of their own that says your wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies