Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2014, 11:20 AM

n/a posts

Advertisements

I got a $120 ticket for driving without headlights on...the problem being, I have no idea if my race came into it.
I know he made me do a sobriety test...lol. America. Can't wait to be done with you...What's certain is I don't have the money..When it came out that I was indeed sober, I think he felt that he needed to justify the whole production by writing me up. I guess no one to blame but myself...I should've had the headlights on.

So, idk...

Old 01-27-2014, 11:24 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,119,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I got a $120 ticket for driving without headlights on...the problem being, I have no idea if my race came into it.
I know he made me do a sobriety test...lol. America. Can't wait to be done with you...What's certain is I don't have the money..When it came out that I was indeed sober, I think he felt that he needed to justify the whole production by writing me up. I guess no one to blame but myself...I should've had the headlights on.

So, idk...
I'd say they pull anyone over for that offense. You can become a threat to other drivers. I do know I've been pulled multiple times for absolutely no reason though. Sometimes they'll come up with an excuse (once is was impeding traffic even though I was driving the speed limit) and sometimes they won't.

Doesn't really matter though, they'll pull over whoever they want whenever they want. Even if its a direct violation of your 4th Amendment Rights (probable cause).

Old 01-27-2014, 11:48 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,672,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
When it comes to raising revenue, harassment, and falsifying/planting evidence, its blacks and other minorities (blacks, poor people, hispanics, people with certain cars or who dress a certain way) who suffer the most. Statistics show the number of stops on people of color and other traits depending on area, are extremely disproportionate to the current majority (whites, upper middle class whites particularly).

Why should they be allowed to do this and is this the intended purpose of a government Police force to begin with?

Private Police forces can be maintained with much more transparency and due process.

We currently have the highest incarceration rate (per capita and raw numbers) in the world.

What are you going to do about it?
Nothing! If blacks want to live in the big city urban sprawls, where all the crime, drugs and gangs are, then don't look surprised when they get caught up in it.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:50 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,119,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecgranmoun View Post
Poverty and discrimination are major factors to consider here. When you are poor everything is generally against you. Your appearance may not look the best; your car may not be the best one on the street; your driving records, your criminal records; everything could be a mess under the grips of poverty and discrimination. It is not a matter of somebody more prone to crime and anything like that. If we want to combat this problem here and help our fellow citizens, we must attack poverty and discrimination.
You bring up a good point that nobody else has addressed yet.

I'd agree with you that certain "types" are targeted outside of race alone. Outside of the social stigmas associated with poor people, the Police often figure those people won't be able to put up the same legal fight that someone with money would.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:04 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,313,769 times
Quote:
Here's some positive things that 2 Police chiefs are doing to stop racial profiling and to improve Police/community relations. There are still "good cops" out there. Those who respect the rights of others and understand their role in society.

2 Utah police chiefs making efforts to stop racial profiling | KSL.com

Hill said the data on racial profiling is hard to quantify. While statistics show more minorities are sent to prison than whites, there are too many different circumstances for a true comparison.

But Utah police chiefs said profiling has no place in good police work, and they want to better train their officers.

"Try to understand or view the situation through the eyes of the individual you're contacting, how do they perceive it? You may intend one thing, but they may perceive it (another way)," Russo said.

The chiefs also want to better how officers talk to the community.

"Just slow it down, explain our actions and then look people in the eye, talk to them and have a conversation — we have time for that," King said.

Read more at 2 Utah police chiefs making efforts to stop racial profiling | KSL.com

Thats nice, but unfortunately for every two good cops like this there are 30 who have no probelm gunning down a minority for something slight and out the 30, most of them will be reinstated in their old jobs without punishment

Old 01-27-2014, 09:06 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,006,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Thats nice, but unfortunately for every two good cops like this there are 30 who have no probelm gunning down a minority for something slight and out the 30, most of them will be reinstated in their old jobs without punishment
That's nonsense and you know it.

A few bad cops should not spoil the bunch.

This throwing the baby out with the bathwater mentality is getting ridiculous.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:19 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,313,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
That's nonsense and you know it.

A few bad cops should not spoil the bunch.

This throwing the baby out with the bathwater mentality is getting ridiculous.
Is it? Lets see how many "good cop" articles can you find compared to "bad cop" articles. There is no comparison

Old 01-27-2014, 09:24 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
law enforcement is bias no doubt about it. it needs correction. i agree.
but to explain away the deaths of thousands of young black people every year at the hands of other young black people will require more than you have provided in this post. please dont say its all the same with whites and asians-- its not. please dont say its all the same bek of poverty, its not. there is such a thing as poverty among the asians and whites, but we dont see this sort of violence in those communities, only in yours. the police hunt violence criminals. half of the people in jail are white, half black. there is a reason they are there, but if you ask them, they are all good guys who got a raw deal. rubbish.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:27 PM

804 posts, read 618,221 times
Current agenda is that police can do squat without being accused of... Racism.
Posts and attitudes like yours make sure nothing will ever change because they pretend it is the police who is the problem and not the criminals who just happen to very often belong to so called minorities. Police is not a problem. Go do this job, you're going to get disillusioned about human kind very fast.

Quote:
Homicide is terrible. Currently many black neighborhoods have the highest rates of violence. So much so that violence in THESE neighborhoods skew the rate of the entire country to the point that we have the highest rates in the developed world.

And you claim the current agenda to be working??!

Old 01-27-2014, 09:28 PM

804 posts, read 618,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Is it? Lets see how many "good cop" articles can you find compared to "bad cop" articles. There is no comparison
Because nobody wants to read about "good cops" but "bad cops" surely make headlines.
Police is not the problem, crime is the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies