Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 07:08 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,806,900 times

Advertisements

Food Stamps: Military Families Redeem $100 Million A Year In SNAP Benefits

Military families are on a pace this year to redeem more than $100 million in food aid on military bases.

I read the welfare threads here and realize that people don't have a clue about who uses welfare....or why. They do love to make it sound like people want to be on it. Just like all those soldiers above. They suck, right? They're on welfare, too, bro.

Welfare Statistics | Statistic Brain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 07:13 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,667,461 times
What I don't understand why some enlisted military people need it. Between your base pay and your BAH, why would people even qualify for it? Someone stationed in Southern California for example gets roughly $1600 in BAH plus their paycheck. In the Boston area is an extra $2200! (which is more than enough to rent an apartment. )

It boggles the mind.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:22 PM

408 posts, read 392,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
What I don't understand why some enlisted military people need it. Between your base pay and your BAH, why would people even qualify for it? Someone stationed in Southern California for example gets roughly $1600 in BAH plus their paycheck. In the Boston area is an extra $2200! (which is more than enough to rent an apartment. )
I don't know how it is now, but way back in the Paleozoic Era, when I was still in the Army, it was mostly junior enlisted with at least two kids that were qualifying for that kind of assistance. I knew a couple of guys at E4 and below with *four* kids each, and I always wondered how they made ends meet.

I did know one E7 who went from two kids straight to FIVE in one swoop (wife had triplets), but with more rank and more years of service, clearly they wouldn't have had it as tight as a PFC with a whole platoon of younguns would.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:37 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,806,900 times
When I was an E-4 back in '96, we qualified for WiC and, if I recall, food stamps. Had 1 kid. Wife didn't work. Think I made $888 a paycheck back then. Our son had to drink a predigested formula. If I recall, it was 160 bucks a month for that formula.
Here's the WiC chart; See for yourself
Income Eligibility Guidelines - WIC

PS, my wife wouldn't let me get the food stamps. She just said we weren't going to get them, and that was final. I guess it was a matter of pride. WiC was for our kid, though. Maybe that was why that was OK with her.

I see that type of formula hasn't gotten any cheaper. 6 quarts =60 bucks.
Amazon.com: Similac Alimentum Hypoallergenic Formula with Iron, DHA/ARA, Ready to Feed, 1-Quart (Pack of 6): Health & Personal Care

Old 10-12-2013, 08:19 PM

20,112 posts, read 16,089,167 times
They don't count housing allowance in the formula for income if the solider and family live on base, only if the BAH is shown on the LES. They should. I think any housing supplement, military and civilian, ought to count to include section 8. We do not get an accurate portrait of poverty in this nation because we don't count these non-cash things as part of available assets. A family earning $1,000 a month and having to pay rent from that $1,000 is in much worse shape that a family that earns $900 and lives rent free.

Quote:
First, BAH is only considered if you live off base.. The Federal Government sets the standards for food stamp programs and they say that if a military family lives on base in military housing - BAH cannot count against them as far as income because the family never sees this money. If the military member lives off base it is a different story - the BAH is paid to the military member and is then considered income since they are in actual possession of the money.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:23 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,902,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Food Stamps: Military Families Redeem $100 Million A Year In SNAP Benefits

Military families are on a pace this year to redeem more than $100 million in food aid on military bases.

I read the welfare threads here and realize that people don't have a clue about who uses welfare....or why. They do love to make it sound like people want to be on it. Just like all those soldiers above. They suck, right? They're on welfare, too, bro.

Welfare Statistics | Statistic Brain
I have pointed out the same fact on more than a few different threads on welfare, not to worry the Cons will continue to ignore the truth.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:25 PM

56,989 posts, read 35,116,741 times
Again, i'm cool with feeding Americans so long as we can spend billions defending wealthy nations and rebuilding such dumps as Iraq and Afghanistan.

Doesn't bother me a bit. Good for them.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:26 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,870,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I have pointed out the same fact on more than a few different threads on welfare, not to worry the Cons will continue to ignore the truth.
Yep. I mean, only lazy dark colored minorities use welfare, right? Poor whites are too proud to use it, that's why they vote Republican

Old 10-12-2013, 08:31 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,666,932 times
This thread is wreaks of ignorance. At least these people "earn" it. Ask me who I would rather give to. A dead beat who sits on the porch or does drugs or a family who is serving in the military.

Damn, welfare leaches will go to any extent to defend leeching of others.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:32 PM

56,989 posts, read 35,116,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
This thread is wreaks of ignorance. At least these people "earn" it. Ask me who I would rather give to. A dead beat who sits on the porch or does drugs or a family who is serving in the military.

Damn, welfare leaches will go to any extent to defend leeching of others.
Hey..don't look a gift horse in the mouth. I'm defending you here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies