Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2014, 05:06 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
That biological fact is a few eons of evolution away.

The information from the Human Genome project indicates that racial differentiation is only about 8,000 years old. That's nearly historical, and certainly within the range of oral history. It might even be the origin of "Babel" legends...the human race actually recalling through oral history a time before racial differentiation.

That is far too little time for evolution to take effect, indicating that racial differentiation is a result of inbreeding. In addition, evolution would more likely have developed different species unable to crossbreed, or crossbreeding with difficulty. Inbreeding would not interfere with subsequent crossbreeding, as we see is the case.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:06 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
Would there be a down side of going post-racial as a society? (disregarding race)
Would the down side be bad enough to warrant stamping out any progress towards a post-racial society?
would i embrace a post racial society? i already have. race means nothing to me, attitude and character does.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:08 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I used to believe in Affirmative Action but now I think the time for that need is past.

But now they have these quota's that are very un-American IMO and regular citizens are hurt by it.

I'm in the trades, I'm a union master electrician and also have a card in pipe fitting and sometimes I work both sides when needed.

Whenever we work on a State/Fed project there has to be so many women and so many minorities. So sorry to say sometimes there are completely unqualified individuals filling quotas who are either not skilled or too lazy or too stupid to do what we do. And then we have a bunch of white guys who actually do the work. All the cost of those un needed salaries goes right to the tax payers.

I know for a fact we had a hooker on the job for a week to fill a quota once, one of the guys just picked her up and don't ask me what she did in the trailer all day.

In other words, the system is completely FUBAR.

Usually when you add up all the GOALs (not quotas which are illegal) that still leaves the vast majority of opportunities available to white males. White men account for 33% of the population, and I will be curious to see any time when women and minorities are assigned a goal of 67%. Usually more in the 20% range.

Can't sympathize with your tears as you weep for the poor white man who only accounts for around 90% of the Fortune 1000 CEOS.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:11 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Why do you feel that Frank Sweet is authoritative?

Old 01-18-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
would i embrace a post racial society? i already have. race means nothing to me, attitude and character does.

Look at the racial/ethnic composition of the community where you live. Examine the race/ethnicity of those who you have close social ties to, or who you work alongside.

Then convince yourself, if you are the typical American, that race doesn't matter. It does.

We SHOULD view people as individuals but most of us still don't.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:40 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Look at the racial/ethnic composition of the community where you live. Examine the race/ethnicity of those who you have close social ties to, or who you work alongside.

Then convince yourself, if you are the typical American, that race doesn't matter. It does.

We SHOULD view people as individuals but most of us still don't.
i live in tucson arizona, the population here is about 45% hispanic, a similar white population, and the rest made up of other races. i have worked in the national parks where people from all over the world come to work and visit. i have worked alongside jamaicans, indonesians, croatians, south africans, poles, germans, etc. and i have gotten along with pretty much ALL of them quite nicely thank you, because i treated them all with the same respect that i would want for myself. in fact the few people i ever had any issues with in the parks were other white people.

in the end i just dont care about skin color it means nothing to me. as i said, character and attitude are far more important to me.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Why do you feel that Frank Sweet is authoritative?

That's my opinion of him. His site is now virtually dead because of how he behaved. This a man whose hobby is to dress in confederate garb and suggest that slavery was not a core reason for the Civil War.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:16 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
The last time I had an argument with the Filipina wife of mine I called a lawyer and asked if there was any chance that Loving v. Virginia could be reversed. He hung up on me. I guess I better get prepared for the post racial society.

Last edited by whogo; 01-18-2014 at 07:21 PM..

Old 01-18-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i live in tucson arizona, the population here is about 45% hispanic, a similar white population, and the rest made up of other races. i have worked in the national parks where people from all over the world come to work and visit. i have worked alongside jamaicans, indonesians, croatians, south africans, poles, germans, etc. and i have gotten along with pretty much ALL of them quite nicely thank you, because i treated them all with the same respect that i would want for myself. in fact the few people i ever had any issues with in the parks were other white people.

in the end i just dont care about skin color it means nothing to me. as i said, character and attitude are far more important to me.

1. How many of the non whites were your supervisors?

2. How many of non whites are people who you ROUTINELY hung out with outside.

Given the demographics I expect a 55% answer to both questions, or a valid explanation is to why this isn't the case.

Being cordial doesn't mean that race isn't a factor as most normal people will be cordial to those who they encounter, unless there is a reason why they shouldn't be, based on how the other person treats them. So your statement merely suggests that you are a normal person.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
the last time i had an argument with the filipina wife of mine i called a lawyer and asked if there was any chance that loving v. Virginia could be reversed. He hung up on me. I guess i better get prepared for the post racial society.

lol :d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies