Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 04:14 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
If this is supposed to be an argument in favour of removing regulations, it's not a good one.
It also proves the regulation in no way prevents problems. It just prevents those who make mistakes from being held accountable.

Quote:
Does this have anything to do with the question or my answer? I think not. Why would a company do harmful things? For the money.

Why do politicians lie to you? To get your money. And they have the power to force you to pay at gunpoint.

LEt's see... I can choose to be a wise consumer and spend money only as I see fit, and take my chances.. .Or, I can have it taken at gunpoint by people who WILL lie to me, and WILL use my money to hurt me.

Now you see why I'm not a fan of government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 06:42 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,284,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Yes it does......What difference is there in a company doing harmful things for money or the government allowing harmful things for the money?
Is this an answer to my question? All I want to know is how this regulation- and restriction free-society would actually function. I'm completely uninterested in why other people think regulations are meant as a money grab. I don't even know why it was brought up.

I think my surmise that the consequences of this libertopia have not been considered is on the mark. A lot of it seems to depend on corporate altruism. Good luck with that one.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:45 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,076,689 times
Reckless deregulation???
Obamacare bill- 381,000 words
Regulations added to the 381,000 words to implement and enforce the bill- [words] 11,500,000 and still growing.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:57 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Just a question - why these global companies find America no longer attractive, except for top management and board of directors who still insist on living in NY and CA?
And why CEOs are still mostly American? Why companies like Ford, GM, HP and IBM who constantly expand into China and India do not hire Indian CEOs and other top executives? After all we live in a global economy and need to be where our markets are...

Part of the answer is the crummy workers......moronic, lazy, sue-happy, greedy and dumb as pigs**t.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:38 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Is this an answer to my question? All I want to know is how this regulation- and restriction free-society would actually function. I'm completely uninterested in why other people think regulations are meant as a money grab. I don't even know why it was brought up.

I think my surmise that the consequences of this libertopia have not been considered is on the mark. A lot of it seems to depend on corporate altruism. Good luck with that one.
Corporations do what is best for corporations. Governments do what is best for governments. Why is one better than the other?

Old 10-17-2013, 04:01 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I didn't intend this to really be a "living wage" thread, but to my conservative friends: you should recognize that pushing to keep wages low and opposing publicly-funded assistance are two conflicting positions today.
Precisely, and anyone who thinks that there is an economic issue today that doesn't boil down to the lack of plentiful living wage jobs where Americans live is deluding themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
And it's not that the solution is to have the McJobs providers out there start paying people $25 an hour for flipping burgers and racking merchandise...it's that we need that structure of well-paying jobs back so that we're not elevating McJobs to an increasingly primary source of full-time income generation for people.
We've given business Carte Blanche for a generation and they've used that excessive financial power to restructure our society such that economic injustice has doubled. We've all seen the charts - you know the ones I'm talking about - they're the charts that right-winger blind themselves to, refuse to acknowledge the reality of, and otherwise bury their heads in the sand whenever they're posted - charts that show how while productivity leading to profit have continued to ascend strongly in the US economy, worker wages are flat (actually: declining in real terms). The labor marketplace has been radically restructured such that there are far too few living wage jobs where Americans live. The labor marketplace has essentially been transformed into a buyer's market, to an extreme, and over such an extended period that its impacts are undeniable - and more importantly, that the circumstances that led to such a grievously unjust labor marketplace unequivocally must be reversed and aggressive action taken to undo the damage already done.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:10 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Reckless REGULATION drove business into competitors arms.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:42 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
This is one of the most idiotic bits of tripe ever posted here.

NO government IS EVER capable of regulating an economy. EVER.

Short memory syndrome?

Try looking up Gramm Leach Bliley and how it helped pave the way to the Great Recession.

(Hint, selling high risk securities as a part of commercial banking)

The Dems and the GOP can share blame for that disaster.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:33 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,284,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Corporations do what is best for corporations. Governments do what is best for governments. Why is one better than the other?
Corporations do things to benefit themselves? I am truly shocked.

If you're not going to tell me how this libertopia's supposed to work, why are you replying to my posts in which I ask how this is going to work?

Old 09-12-2017, 09:53 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,224,649 times
The truths of the madness.... continues.

American people need to awaken and become aware... !!!!! Deregulation is a Devastator to the American Working People, This Society, It's Standards, It's System, It's States, It's Cities and The Communities where the people live.

Thank Goodness, President Obama fought to enforce and stiffen Regulatory Governance, which is the only thing that helped to stabilize this nation after the greatest economic decline since the Crash of 1929. Yet, here we are less than a decade later with the "greed chaser in Chief, Trump, again trying to chase greed by any means, ready to unleash the greed beast again, to devour the American people and destroy our Regulatory System and the Standards it upholds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies