Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 06:28 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,064,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
People on CD don't care where you stand on most issues, because if you disagree on even one issue, then they assume you must be the with the enemy. As a matter of fact, you are the enemy for simply not joining in their Rants & Chants.
I've argued against the wars, for occupy, for gay marriage, against the death penalty, against the bail outs, for single payer but yet I'm called an extreme righty all the time because I'm against irresponsible spending.

Most here argue based upon what the current presidents position is. If it changes, they change.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:42 AM

77,012 posts, read 47,481,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I've argued against the wars, for occupy, for gay marriage, against the death penalty, against the bail outs, for single payer but yet I'm called an extreme righty all the time because I'm against irresponsible spending.

Most here argue based upon what the current presidents position is. If it changes, they change.
I don't see you as extreme right, I see you as mainstream liberal republican.

I am:

- Pro life
- Pro gun
- Against gay marriage
- Against federal reserve
- Against wasteful spending
- Pro Christian
- Ron Paul voter & supporter
- Pro corporate tax cuts
- Pro elimination of corporate hand outs
- Pro elimination of tax loopholes
- Pro reducing overseas military bases
- Pro Israel
- Pro fair tax
- Against drug legalization

And yet I am called a far left liberal, because I don't call Obama a muslim, radical racist Christian, kenyan, communist, terrorist, obummer etc, etc. It is the old "either you are with us, or you are with the enemy". It doesn't matter where you stand on issues.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:48 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,239,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
This thread is about false equivalence -- "the far right and the far left are the same." Except, they are not. The "left" wants to support policies like maintaining Social Security, Medicare, a social safety net for the poor and provide health care to citizens. Those were once mainstream concepts. Even Republican President Eisenhower said,
There were 15-30 workers per retiree when Eisenhower was president, now we have less than 4.

Quote:
On the other hand, the far right wants to privatize or eliminate all social programs and any program that helps the poor.
The right wants to privatize SS because SS provides a poor rate of return. FYI, Australia privatized their system 30 years ago because their system wasn't sustainable. Everyone is guaranteed a minimum retirement income and should the investments fail to deliver that income the government steps in; not too different than what we have. Except, there is no investment side in the USA, just a government obligation.

Essentially, we almost have Australia's system.They contribute 9% on all their income to a super plus have a means tested old age pension. We pay 12.4%, don't have means testing, and have access to 401K's and IRA's, the only difference is they are required to contribute to the super and we just get a tax deduction. The only problem I have with the SS system is people think it is a retirement plan and politicians increase SS payments.

Quote:
They also wants to slash taxes, which mainly aides the rich.
It's called catering to your master.

Quote:
The far right also favors the contradictory policies of cutting the scope of the government while having the government intrude upon a woman's personal reproductive choices. There is only one radical side, the far right.
There is a radical left as well, but they haven't taken over the D party and pushed everyone away. The R's are as extreme as they are because the radicals have pushed everyone else out.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:51 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,239,242 times
I am in the middle. The first time I was a populist middle and the second time I was a MBA middle.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
I don't see you as extreme right, I see you as mainstream liberal republican.
Republican because I haven't voted for their candidate for years? Because I too support their position on guns? The ACLU agree's with their position in many cases.

Because I am against Obama's spying on American's? Seems most the of Republican's agree with him there. Does this mean they are not Republican's?

Because I consider McCain one of the most dangerous politicians in America? Or is it because I think Obama is nearly as dangerous for arguing that he can kill American citizens without giving them due process?

Old 10-15-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Republican because I haven't voted for their candidate for years? Because I too support their position on guns? The ACLU agree's with their position in many cases.

Because I am against Obama's spying on American's? Seems most the of Republican's agree with him there. Does this mean they are not Republican's?

Because I consider McCain one of the most dangerous politicians in America? Or is it because I think Obama is nearly as dangerous for arguing that he can kill American citizens without giving them due process?
Earlier you listed some issues where you were a solid liberal. So, you are not liberal on all issues, then maybe you are in the middle. Did you take the quiz?

Old 10-15-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Earlier you listed some issues where you were a solid liberal. So, you are not liberal on all issues, then maybe you are in the middle. Did you take the quiz?
The quizzes are designed to come to the conclusion those who wrote it want.

Like this......

When there are poor people in our country who don’t have access to good education, health care and a safe place to live, it negatively affects every one of us.

What is this suppose to mean? People from all beliefs would agree with this.....the differences come in concerning what to do about it.

It's a meaningless statement.

The United States is the greatest country in the world.

Meaningless. Of course I do but I would expect Canadians to think Canada was the greatest, the French to think France is, the Germans...........

What does what I did last weekend have to do with anything? I had to work so no alcohol. That doesn't mean I wouldn't drink on a weekend I didn't work. No church either, that doesn't mean I wouldn't go if I didn't have to work.

Last edited by pknopp; 10-15-2013 at 07:11 AM..

Old 10-15-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
The quizzes are designed to come to the conclusion those who wrote it want.
It's ok, you don't have to take it.

Quote:
When there are poor people in our country who don’t have access to good
Quote:
education, health care and a safe place to live, it negatively affects every one
of us.

What is this suppose to mean? People from all beliefs would
agree with this.....the differences come in concerning what to do about
it.

It's a meaningless statement.
Yes, some questions were more meaningful than others. That's why there were many of them.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
It's ok, you don't have to take it.
It said that I wasn't interested in politics.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
It said that I wasn't interested in politics.
Yes, one of the questions was about your interest in politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.