Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 03:54 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,590,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
You're trying to reason with angry, bitter morons. Understand that most are precisely the type of people they get on here to demonize. They have little money and they don't work for a living. My father takes your approach and tries to gently change their spirits in conversation when he encounters this crap. I no longer do that when it's an adult.
Then why don't you wise and prosperous intellectuals feed, cloth and house all of the needy? Oh, that's right, you want OTHER PEOPLE to pay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 03:55 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,504,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No one is going to starve to death. SNAP is SUPPLEMENTAL, remember ? It's in addition to their own money.

Got to give the Obama administration kudos for being the most fear mongering administration ever.
I hear conservatives say this all the time, yet Pres. Obama has never once acted with the degree of divisiveness, hatred and just plain lunacy as the Tea Party and their fan club, who practice this serial projection at every opportunity.

You want to see fear mongering, listen to the RWNJ's you voted for shriek about Obamacare. Your political leadership has a tenuous grasp on reality.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:56 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,504,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
Hard to take an article seriously when it misspells a word in the first sentence:
The folks who read that won't even notice.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:57 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,221,273 times
It's not going to happen. Welfare people will still get welfare.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:57 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,331,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Again, most people on welfare work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Disagree with this, unless you gave proof.

Ummm...

Quote:
[The overwhelming majority of SNAP recipients who can work do so. Among SNAP households with at least one working-age, non-disabled adult, more than half work while receiving SNAP — and more than 80 percent work in the year prior to or the year after receiving SNAP. The rates are even higher for families with children — more than 60 percent work while receiving SNAP, and almost 90 percent work in the prior or subsequent year. (See Figure 1.)[3]

The number of SNAP households that have earnings while participating in SNAP has been rising for more than a decade, and has more than tripled — from about 2 million in 2000 to about 6.4 million in 2011.
The Relationship Between SNAP and Work Among Low-Income Households — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Quote:
This hasn't been the case since people without children can also get welfare and I'm not talking about seniors.
Ummm...

Quote:
SNAP already has strict time-limits for unemployed workers. Able-bodied adults without dependents (ABAWDs) may only receive 3 months of SNAP benefits during any 3 year period, unless they are working in a qualifying job training program.
SNAP (Food Stamps): Facts, Myths and Realities

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
A lot of them sell their cards too or things they buy with them for drugs/alcohol. I'm not buying that the majority work. Drug testing is a major problem in their getting a job and, personally, I think a lot of them take the drugs to make sure they don't get a job. I have seen them and the faces are young and they are shopping on welfare morning, picking up drugs in the afternoon, money gone by mid-month when they frequent the free food pantries. Getting my sympathy, not!
It is also a myth that most SNAP recipients and people who are recipients of other such programs are drug abusers:

Quote:
Utah has spent more than $30,000 to screen welfare applicants for drug use since a new law went into effect a year ago, but only 12 people have tested positive, state figures show.
2012-2013 data shows only 12 test positive in Utah welfare drug screening | Deseret News

For even more evidence towards dispelling the drug addict welfare myth, my own state recently drug tested 1300 people receiving TANF (Temporary Aid to Needy Families.)

Of the 1300 tested, only 16 were found to have any illicit/illegal drugs in their system.

Kinda makes you wonder if there shouldn't be a cost/benefit analysis before any more states throw tons of money at popping UAs on people getting gov't assistance.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:03 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,504,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
The folks who read that won't even notice.
Good point.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:33 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,152,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Then why don't you wise and prosperous intellectuals feed, cloth and house all of the needy? Oh, that's right, you want OTHER PEOPLE to pay for it.
Because we live in a society and not the Galt's Gulch that you Trekkies of the political world fantasize. It is revealing on those occasions when one of you is put in need. Reminds me of the right-winger whose kid got very sick and one of our blessed private insurance companies denied coverage. Suddenly, he started implying things like an entitlement to have his kid covered and treated. Unfortunately, for many of you, your empathy starts only after injustice has hit you or your family over the head. As I said, my father likes to gently reason with people like you. I have lost interest in reasoning with people who not just lack empathy, but sneer at it.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:08 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,337,367 times
Just saying, most SNAP beneficiaries have more tattoos than a Polynesian sailor...hmm, what is more important...."save money for food, or get a tattoo?"...

Old 10-16-2013, 07:32 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,331,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Just saying, most SNAP beneficiaries have more tattoos than a Polynesian sailor...hmm, what is more important...."save money for food, or get a tattoo?"...
More BS pulled from your crack and presented as fact.

You wanna provide something or cite an actual study that shows "most SNAP beneficiaries have more tattoos...?"

Of course, you'll also need to show that these tattoos were acquired AFTER these folks you speak of started receiving benefits for you to even be halfway making a point.

Or, of course, you might just be full of --it.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:36 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,152,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Most people under the age of 50 now have more tattoos than a Polynesian sailor. If you have some evidence that most of them are using money from public assistance for that, I'm all ears. Most people on some form of assistance are on it for short period of time, whereas the plethora of tattoos seem to accumulate over many years. I'm more troubled by the phenomenon of doing serial self-mutilations on their bodies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies