Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 02:50 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,520,274 times

Advertisements

You can't even make this stuff up. Another feather in the GOP cap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 02:51 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,881,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
The classic "get your government hands off my medicare" drumbeat from the anti-intellectual side of the aisle.
I'm sure there are a handful of uninformed people who have said the like, but mostly this statement is said not seriously but by people like you building a strawman argument to put against legitimate Republican criticism of cuts to Medicare and other non-means-tested programs to fund welfare programs, which was a major piece of the ACA and is something the Obama administration generally tends to favor, and against middle-class working or retired people who are net taxpayers over their lifetime and object to the value proposition of government getting even worse for them and their families.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
I'm sure there are a handful of uninformed people who have said the like, but mostly this statement is said not seriously but by people like you building a strawman argument to put against legitimate Republican criticism of cuts to Medicare and other non-means-tested programs to fund welfare programs, which was a major piece of the ACA and is something the Obama administration generally tends to favor, and against middle-class working or retired people who are net taxpayers over their lifetime and object to the value proposition of government getting even worse for them and their families.
Here's a thought. All Republicans who are opposed to Gov't programs are invited to stop applying for them Imagine how much $$ that would leave for everyone else.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
Here's a thought. All Republicans who are opposed to Gov't programs are invited to stop applying for them Imagine how much $$ that would leave for everyone else.
So you think people who are against having the fruits of their labor and the interest from the money they built up from entrepreneurship or living below their means seized by the state to be redistributed should allow an even higher net amount of their income to be stolen from them by not getting back what fraction of what they put in that they can?

Okay good luck with that.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:13 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Here's a thought. Government can give back all the money they took. Imagine how much pf other peoples $$ our destructive big government couldn't spend.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
So you think people who are against having the fruits of their labor and the interest from the money they built up from entrepreneurship or living below their means seized by the state to be redistributed should allow an even higher net amount of their income to be stolen from them by not getting back what fraction of what they put in that they can?

you can't have it both ways - you can't possibly be AGAINST gov't programs while being ON gov't programs. It's like I'm having a conversation with Sarah Palin

Old 12-27-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Here's a thought. Government can give back all the money they took. Imagine how much pf other peoples $$ our destructive big government couldn't spend.
oh can I play fantasy world too?? can I ask for all my money back that was spent on USELESS wars?? can I also have my tax dollars back from all the Islamic nations we give aid to??

Old 12-27-2014, 04:01 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:

Can we get back our money spent on dumb wars?

Old 12-27-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
you can't have it both ways - you can't possibly be AGAINST gov't programs while being ON gov't programs. It's like I'm having a conversation with Sarah Palin
I've explained exactly how you can -- you can be against it, vote against it, while utilizing what is available to you to reduce the net burden of government on yourself and your family.

Quote:
oh can I play fantasy world too?? can I ask for all my money back that was spent on USELESS wars?? can I also have my tax dollars back from all the Islamic nations we give aid to??
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Can we get back our money spent on dumb wars?
Unfortunately not, what is spent is spent. Same with past welfare spending -- it's out the door and that is that.

However, you can get part of your money back for current and future (largely unnecessary) military spending by owning shares in military contractors (if you have the money available and no better investments to make), just as you can get part of your tax money 'back' by utilizing whatever government programs you qualify for. You can still own military-industrial shareholding while opposing dumb wars and voting with that in mind, and you can still collect whatever money from the feds you qualify for (if any) while opposing welfare spending and voting with that in mind.

Old 12-27-2014, 04:20 PM

44 posts, read 45,934 times
Quote:
Hypocrites love to have it both ways, its what makes them hypocrites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies