Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 11:26 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,508,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Does it prevent the use of knives?

Oh ironic Canadians.
Yeah, those crazy countries with extremely low gun violence somehow not related to their low gun ownership.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:47 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,383,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
lol. You're quite wrong. Need more?
Yes, quite a bit more than mere anecdotal claims. LaPierre's Loonies have for quite some time now been claiming that there are 2.5 million successful defensive uses of guns per year. In addition to the obvious methodological problems lying behind those claims, there is the fact that the FBI's lists of justifiable homicides come to a couple of hundred per year. Even if every single one of those was associated with defensive gun use, they would not be nearly enough to support the claimed rate of successful intervention. These NRA claims are an example of patent lying.

But in the the interests of fairness and balance, why don't you start posting videos concerning the number of family members shot to death in cases of mistaken identity. Are you aware of any such terrible tragedies as that coming to pass by any chance? If not, I can tell you that they are part of the reason why persons living in households with guns are four times more likely to die of a gunshot wound than those living without a gun in the home.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:54 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,383,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
This is exactly why you shouldn't be anti-gun.

The employer should be publicly shamed for firing this guy for self-defending himself. In fact, their policy should be declared unconstitutional (violation of 2nd Amendment).

Absolutely! Obviously the store owner wasn't protecting his employees life, so he should just be sacrificed a cost of doing business? I hope no one would even consider working for a business that was so unconcerned about the employees as to think it is ok that they be killed!

Last edited by froglipz; 10-18-2013 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 10-18-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Yeah, those crazy countries with extremely low gun violence somehow not related to their low gun ownership.
I'm predicting that this will result in more NRA garbage comparing murder and gun ownership rates in the US to those in a bunch of former communist and other eastern european countries. The NRA can't compare apples to apples by using a couple of dozen prosperous western democracies, the reason for that being that it would support the very point you just made. NRA = Lies.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardvanderbosch View Post
Absolutely! Obviosly the store owner wasn't protecting his employees life, so he should just be sacrificed a cost of doing business? I hope no one would even consider working for a business that was so unconcerned about the employees as to think it is ok that they be killed!
Drop the macho-macho and start acting like a man. Pulling a gun on a robber is a good way to get yourself killed. That's what these companies want to avoid. Robberies tend to involve token amounts of cash or merchandise. Let it go. There are no serious long-term impacts from such things. Death is something that has undeniable long-term impacts. Many companies also want you to wait until a robber has left the building before calling police. This helps minimize the risk of hostage situations which tend to be quite expensive in terms of both resources and lives. These are the smart guys in this story.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:20 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,383,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaker View Post
Drop the macho-macho and start acting like a man. Pulling a gun on a robber is a good way to get yourself killed. That's what these companies want to avoid. Robberies tend to involve token amounts of cash or merchandise. Let it go. There are no serious long-term impacts from such things. Death is something that has undeniable long-term impacts. Many companies also want you to wait until a robber has left the building before calling police. This helps minimize the risk of hostage situations which tend to be quite expensive in terms of both resources and lives. These are the smart guys in this story.

Stop living in a fantasy world of wishing away problems, criminals KILL not just rob and leave. You have a DUTY to protect your family by being prepared to do WHATEVER it might take. Shooting someone is not something which is taken lightly by any RESPONSIBLE gun owner!

Old 10-18-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardvanderbosch View Post
Stop living in a fantasy world of wishing away problems. You have a DUTY to protect your family by being prepared to do WHATEVER it might take. Shooting someone is not something which is taken lightly by any RESPONSIBLE gun owner!
Once again, stow the macho-macho. You aren't impressing anyone. Your new story of course does not comport with the case being discussed in the thread, but it is also the case that unless you keep a gun unlocked and loaded and immediately available in well trafficked areas of your home, you will not have even the slightest chance of being able to use a weapon to "protect your family" from anything larger than a racoon. Go for it, and an actual human armed intruder will be quite apt to fear that you are reaching for a gun and take you out. That's Robber 1, You 0. The robber moves on to the next round. You don't. Your family will not be cheering.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:48 PM

2,866 posts, read 3,614,000 times
There are incidents like this happening all of the time across our country. One does not need to shoot at the robber/attacker, just show that he/she has a firearm and that usually (I say usually NOT always) deters them from carrying out their threat. Working nights in a convenience store in the city with past incidents I probably would have legally carried a concealed handgun as well, even if it was against store policy and knowing I would be fired if found out. When it comes right down to it I would rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. I don't blame the clerk, he felt he needed to defend himself and he seems to have no ill will towards the store for firing him. The store did what it said it would and he realizes he broke policy. Still I would rather see it end like this then a headline "Man Dies After Stabbing in Apparent Robbery at Convenience Store". The only thing I may have done differently, and I don't want to Monday Morning Quarterback this guy, is I may have let the robber have the money (the store is probably covered under insurance) and only brandished/used the firearm if the robber threatened physical harm to me personally. So much for my two cents. Mr. Cothran I am happy that you were not hurt.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:27 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,421,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaker View Post
And gun-people here are doing what gun-people everywhere do -- play on people's fears to misrepresent the facts. Guns do not make you or anyone else safer. Quite the contrary. If there is an actual justification for gun ownership, it will have to come from somewhere else.
Tell that to those that go nowhere without armed protection... Government Officials for one.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:31 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,421,262 times
Don't know anything about the NRA...

It's not like someone is forcing you to have a gun...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies