Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 10:57 AM

624 posts, read 939,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
The number of states will reach 25 max without the SC ruling ssm bans unconstitutional.
By the time the total reaches 25, I expect that will happen.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:06 AM

Re Ponderosa's remark about the Yellowstone super-volcano as God's punishment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
This is the type of post that annoys the hell out of me.

If you truly believe in a vengeful, violent God, then why is His hot button love? Unless he's a hateful God as well?
This country has seen so much war, greed, lust, & lack of concern for the well being of the greatest gift He gave us (this planet) not to mention the human lives that inhabit it, HIS CHILDREN, that you really believe that SSM is the final straw?
I almost responded to Ponderosa's post, but then I decided it had to be a joke. Why would God punish homosexuals (and other "mortal-sinners") with a massive calamity in the middle of a bunch of red states? Because they aren't preventing things like SSM? Looks like they've done their best so far. If that's God's divine logic, I'd be shopping for another diety if I were Ponderosa.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:07 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
How is that deflecting when I'm asking you a question?
I asked you the question first and you didn't answer it.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:22 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
If gay marriage were so popular, than those 36 states would have already allowed it.

The gay marriage movement is nothing but a fringe group that has gotten traction in a handful of states, and in the case of California and Iowa, the will of the people to maintain marriage as a union between a man and a woman, was trampled on by biased and spineless justices.

All SCOTUS did in Hollingsworth vs Perry was kick the ball down the road.
Sorry Harrier, it may have been a "fringe" movement back in the 70's, but today it's mainstream. In fact, polls show that even a majority of younger Republicans support same-sex marriage, and by younger I mean under 50:

Among Republicans, a generational divide on gay marriage

My guess is the under 30 Republican crowed has even higher support numbers. Same sex marriage in most of those 36 states is only a matter of "when" now.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
If the thread is meant as a "celebration", then what is it doing in the Politics and Other Controversies forum?
Because the subject of the OP's highlighted article is a controversial political accomplishment that the OP wants to celebrate....

Quote:
Why would Harrier give two hoots what the Puritans thought about anything?

They are the ones who sent people out of Massachusetts who eventually founded Connecticut and Rhode Island, and now we have to put up with the Democrat Senators from those states.
Nonetheless, their stance debunks the argument that marriage is not historically a civil matter in this country, and demonstrates that religious marriage was a later development here, not inherent to American society as some people like to claim.

Quote:
Harrier has thought for some time that he will die before the age of 40.

Harrier is 36.
If you are ill, I'm genuinely sorry for you and hope you see a long life. I would also suggest that you consider spending your time on more positive things than arguing on a web forum if you believe you have little of it left. Of course you're free to do as you choose.

If you have some other, bizarre reason for thinking you won't see 40, spare me a response. Not interested.

Quote:
If gay marriage were so popular, than those 36 states would have already allowed it.

The gay marriage movement is nothing but a fringe group that has gotten traction in a handful of states, and in the case of California and Iowa, the will of the people to maintain marriage as a union between a man and a woman, was trampled on by biased and spineless justices.
Re the SSM movement being limited to the fringe, national polls indicate otherwise. It started with a small minority group that continues to organize efforts, but its supporters extend far beyond the activists, or even the LGBT community. Just because some states haven't embraced SSM doesn't mean there isn't a large and growing number of people there who support the idea. Just not a majority yet, or the majority is new enough that the new momentum has yet to result in a change in law. Take my deep red and deeply religious state of SC for an example of the changing tide. In a large 2011 poll by an independent public policy outfit, 21% of SC residents supported SSM. Just one year later, that number rose to 27%. There will be a ceiling at some point, but it's a while off. Add all of these minorities together and you have one heck of a lot More SSM supporters than your argument suggests.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:26 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,752,027 times
I think the more important question is "who cares?"

Old 10-19-2013, 04:40 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So what are those serious injustices that should be dealt with first? Would you say the same about interracial marriage? Should they not be allowed to get married while we deal with other "serious injustices" first?
How about wealth inequality, wage slavery, price/wage spirals, bureaucracy and market corruption etc. Etc. You know...issues that have to do with money and security. Stuff that affects EVERYBODY?

Should they be allowed to get married? Maybe. Maybe not. Do I care? No.

I also believe states law or polycentric government is ideal as opposed to using statutory monopolistic law to force something very antagonistic and, again, for an extreme minority.

The fact is, right now? They cant in most states and it shouldn't be a political issue at ALL until the suits are held accountable for us swirling down the drain economically.

Congress couldn't care less about homosexual rights...it's all rent seeking. And gays will sell us right along with their preference.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:43 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
How about wealth inequality, wage slavery, price/wage spirals, bureaucracy and market corruption etc. Etc. You know...issues that have to do with money and security. Stuff that affects EVERYBODY?
You do realize we can do more than just one thing at a time.....

Old 10-19-2013, 04:44 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,733 times
Quote:
Why does the gay army downplay that aspect?

Are they ashamed about anal sex?
The Gay Army just opened a base near me. It's an amazing compound - rainbow flags all over the place. I imagine the Gay Army bases over in California are even more colorful?

I even read that there is going to be a Gay Airforce, a Gay Navy, and the Gay Marines, soon.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:46 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
You do realize we can do more than just one thing at a time.....
That's arguable...and even then..

I don't want the same policymakers who sold this country down the river, economically, keeping foothold with a trivial social issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies