Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Jimmy Carter THE worst president in US history?
Yes, he is the absolute worst! 52 27.96%
No, he was the best! (or good or whatever - state below) 106 56.99%
I do not know. 28 15.05%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 06:11 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,904,656 times

Advertisements

a better statesmen until recently, Carter was and still is the worst we have ever had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 06:15 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,338 times
Hmmm. He was pretty bad. All that mingy cardigan sweater nonsense. He made everything look and feel small.

But, IMHO, not the worst. James Buchanan was the worst. The one we have now is in the bottom 5, in my opinion.

500 posts, read 2,859,145 times
Carter was useless, I agree. But I don't agree with you- the WORST was Richard Nixon. Or how many presidents do you know were forced to resign and live in hell to pay for his countless sins like him?

Second worse, Ronald Reagan. I'll give you a couple of reasons why- if you want or if you buy into that media-created idea of Reagan as a saint.

30,907 posts, read 32,981,735 times
Holy moley, how far back in time are we gonna dig here?

Can we start a post about Charlemagne next? He was pretty freakin' awful.

As for Carter...he did fall down on the job. He could have just sold weapons to our future ememies and gotten those hostages RIGHT out of there. Dork.

I love the work he did and does with Habitat for Humanity. I mean that man is a thousand years old and he's still active in helping people.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:18 PM

how far back in time are we gonna dig here?

Jerz,

Is 27 years really digging too far back to you? Should we perhaps focus only on our last two presidents because everything else is just "too old"?

Is 1980 as old and remote as the Medieval Ages to you?

I don't get it.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:21 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
Carter was useless, I agree. But I don't agree with you- the WORST was Richard Nixon. Or how many presidents do you know were forced to resign and live in hell to pay for his countless sins like him?

Second worse, Ronald Reagan. I'll give you a couple of reasons why- if you want or if you buy into that media-created idea of Reagan as a saint.

Good choices! A common crook and a man who conveniently forgot weapon sales to an enemy state, what fine examples of statesmen

Old 04-11-2007, 06:22 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,981,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
how far back in time are we gonna dig here?

Jerz,

Is 27 years really digging too far back to you? Should we perhaps focus only on our last two presidents because everything else is just "too old"?

Is 1980 as old and remote as the Medieval Ages to you?

I don't get it.
Well, no. It's just that it was kind of funny...popping up out of nowhere. "Oh my god, Carter just SUCKED!" I just didn't think it was a newsflash...having been established as you said nearly 30 years ago.

But carry on. That Carter, what a weenie! Oh he sucked! Sucked sucked sucked! Discuss........

(p.s. That little thing about Charlemagne...well...that was that new thing known as "sarcasm". It required an over-the-top example. It was also meant to be a little, well, funny. Carry on...very verrrrrrrrrrrry dryly...)

Old 04-11-2007, 06:25 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,135 times
I think President Carter was one of the worst too, but from sheer incompetence. No one knew back in 1976 that he was an anti-Semite either. That all came out in his late 70's and early 80's. He's a pathetic man.
President Bush will go down as one of the worst simply because he has done every possible thing possible to usurp the U.S. Constitution with misuse of the Patriot Act, an unsupervised FBI, a CIA that was full of "yes men" and told him what he wanted to hear under pressure to conform evidence to his views, illegal wiretaping and ignoring the FISA laws, steamrolling the people of America into a war based on lies (yellow cake anyone?).
He will go down as the president who almost destroyed American democracy and my guess is future presidents will find their jobs much harder as Congress realizes now it has to stop the excesses. There should never be a Congress with a majority of the same party as the president. It's a recipe for disaster...case in point? 2000-2007.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:34 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,904,656 times
yes yes buchanon sucked the worse for sure

Old 04-11-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Good choices! A common crook and a man who conveniently forgot weapon sales to an enemy state, what fine examples of statesmen
You've got to admit Reagan's ability to support Saddam Hussein, sell arms to Iran, get into a dirty war in Central America that caused thousands of civilian deaths, laugh at the poor in the US, lie and fuel corruption, invade a couple of countries and get involved in one of the biggest financial disasters ever (the Savings and Loan Crisis) while being admired by the average American for his "fight against Communism", his "good looks", his "smile" and whatever.

For all that and more, he is one of the worst. But his ability to make himself look good to the public while screwing things up big time was unbelievable. When he died, even The New York Times praised him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies