Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 10:58 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,540,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
You can't 'borrow' your way out of everything. No sir, the US did not hit bottom yet, if you think this is bottom then you (and the rest of the US for that matter) will see how far the bottom REALLY is in a few years
OK, we match on that. But along the Titanic metaphor -- that the bottom is two miles down is little comfort to we "little people." We tend to drown at a mere 6 feet under the water line.

And I agree, by the end, I do not think we will recognize much of the landscape that was. The day the oil gets cut off, it is lights out for US. A true new dark ages of our own arrogance and ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 11:11 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
OK, we match on that. But along the Titanic metaphor -- that the bottom is two miles down is little comfort to we "little people." We tend to drown at a mere 6 feet under the water line.

And I agree, by the end, I do not think we will recognize much of the landscape that was. The day the oil gets cut off, it is lights out for US. A true new dark ages of our own arrogance and ignorance.
No argument there. I hope we at least have damage control in mind so it doesn't have to end the worse possible way

Old 11-20-2007, 12:33 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,540,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
No argument there. I hope we at least have damage control in mind so it doesn't have to end the worse possible way
I am expecting as much damage control as the folks in New Orleans at the dome experienced. By day two, (or before) we need to figure out that help is NOT on the way, and make our own plans for walking, wading or swimming out.

Just the way it is.

Once you give up hope, all the disappointment of expectation just goes away. Leaves you free to create your own solutions.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:46 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,145 times
Quote:
I am expecting as much damage control as the folks in New Orleans at the dome experienced. By day two, (or before) we need to figure out that help is NOT on the way, and make our own plans for walking, wading or swimming out.

Just the way it is.

Once you give up hope, all the disappointment of expectation just goes away. Leaves you free to create your own solutions.
True, but kinda funny. Especially since our leaders have failed us on several occasions--but that's another story

Old 11-20-2007, 12:57 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,237 times
Quote:
Man with nothing to lose has nothing left to fear?

While the US might be facing some troubling economic times in our near future, lets also keep in mind that America now enjoys a symbiotic relationship with the rest of the world. We are now a global community whether by choice or circumstance and what happens to the worlds largest economy will certainly affect all others. To what degree I guess we will all have to wait and see.

Ever notice that economist have a prediction record even worse than most weathermen?

Old 11-20-2007, 08:06 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,201 times
Default Hedge

Quote:

Just the way it is.

Yep. No Hope = No fear. Americans will be forced into survival mode. And if you look at our history, When the chips are down we are usually at our best. We shall see. Though maybe we have become to weak in spirit to pull it this time. We'll have to wait and see. Btw Phil T all excellent points you made as usually glad you jumped in on this tread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Man with nothing to lose has nothing left to fear?

While the US might be facing some troubling economic times in our near future, lets also keep in mind that America now enjoys a symbiotic relationship with the rest of the world. We are now a global community whether by choice or circumstance and what happens to the worlds largest economy will certainly affect all others. To what degree I guess we will all have to wait and see.

Ever notice that economist have a prediction record even worse than most weathermen?
On the economist. I would say they are wrong when getting things perfectly correct. But usually they can kind of tell you the direction. But this time. None of them were even close. We never saw a housing/credit bubble like this. Heck we've never seen a deficit and trade imbalance like this in the U.S. before. Now I'm a card carrying member of the doom and gloom club. And I didn't even expect this fall to happen this fast.

With the other countries being effected. Yes in the short term they will be effected by the U.S. not being able to consume as much of their products. But if you been keep you eyes peeled, China has been making moves in Europe and South America that will help hedge against the U.S. Slowdown. So China will still make goods and the Arab nations like that because they can sell china more oil.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:04 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,319,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
We definitely need humbling - that is FOR SURE On the flip side however, I think that the humbling will come at the expense of the "majority" because I firmly believe that the majority won't be able to pay for basic essentials just because the majority of necessities seem to be imported, which would mean higher cost to consumers. In addition, if gas continues to rise, which I'm sure it will, then most people will be working just to pay for gas (especially in those large cities where public transportation is next to none - i.e. Houston).
Tell us again why we "need" this.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:13 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
From ask Dot.com

"There are eleven member countries of OPEC, the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries. They are: Algeria, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Libya, Nigeria, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, and Venezuela"

Look I don't give sh!@s that Chavez are Ahmadinejad spout off about how they will crush us. And I not worried about Saudi Arabia because the protection their Kingdom as of present has a lot to do with U.S. But what about the other countries in OPEC? Where do they're allegiance lay. My guess is to themselves and they will do what is necessary to make themselves prosperous. That why as of late, I've been rather unnerved to hear some discussion about OPEC uncoupling the dollar from the trade of oil. If this does happen, I believe that it will be catastrophic to the dollars value as a world currency. I know a lot of you will laugh at that. But we may get to find out sooner rather than later to who is right on this issue.

Well there goes my retirement yacht. Actually there goes my retirement.

I think that;s a GREAT concept, a country's allegiance should be to itself.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:48 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,319,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Including ours.

So when do we open up ANWR?

Old 11-20-2007, 09:52 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,201 times
Default cartels

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The problem is in this case we're on the losing end of it. Oh well. Hopefully this will push us in our own int erst to start seeking alternative fuels. I'd love to give a big middle finger to the oil cartels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies