Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 11:03 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times

Advertisements

I thought that people looked a lot more interesting when they didn't have perfectly manipulated teeth. Everybody under 30 looks like perfect little robots where there teeth are concerned. I'm glad that other countries have not adopted this ridiculous standard. Honestly, I wonder when they are going to start performing plastic surgery at birth so that ugly babies don't grow up with any "stigma". pfffft

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-20-2013, 11:06 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,975,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Not if said job is a stripper or call girl.
Actually 3 feet tall, not teeth and a flat head for holding a beer is best.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:08 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Many private dental plans aren't worth the paper they are printed on.
I said before that I agree dental health is just as important as other health but it a fear of the dentist that keeps people away as much as the prices. I've known many well educated people who could afford to go, maybe even have employee sponsored insurance, and they still never go to the dentist.

Ortho is different and not usually necessary unless it's severe.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:10 AM

624 posts, read 939,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Affordable dental care: Brush your teeth after every time you eat. Costs next to nothing and is the best thing you can do. Also stop eating junk food even if the food stamps let you buy it.
Even with good brushing, accumulation of plaque, etc. that a dental professional removes during a cleaning can still cause periodontitis. Diet is definitely a factor, but still, regular dental visits are the best defense against serious oral health problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean its not true. Job discrimination based on looks is a fact. And FYI, I've worked in a lot of offices, and I've never worked with someone with crooked teeth. The one time I worked around a bunch of low waged workers they had crooked teeth.
I think you may be seeing a causal relationship where it may not exist.

People in white collar office jobs may be more likely to have come from families who could afford braces for their kids, but that doesn't mean people with crooked teeth are being discriminated against. The commonality you're seeing may be more about who is qualified/applying for those jobs vs. the people who are applying for the lowest-wage or heaviest labor jobs.

See what I mean?

Dating may be another matter. That's where people get much more picky about details. But adults in the dating pool can always get braces on their own if it's a big priority for them.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:13 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Every poor person deserves a nice set of teeth with at least one of these.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:14 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
Maybe their mothers should think twice before giving them "ethnic" names like Shaqueefa because those type of names will cause them to get passed over for jobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post

And definitely lose the hideous, ethnic names.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Not if said job is a stripper or call girl.
You all remind me of the Whitten Inn in Taos that ordered some hispanic workers to anglicize their names. No more Marcos.... now it had to be Mark.

Clueless.

However, the last remark by Annuvin is entirely out of line.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:14 AM

624 posts, read 939,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
Actually 3 feet tall, not teeth and a flat head for holding a beer is best.

If I were you, I wouldn't want a mouth with a history of gum disease on that....

Hey, to each his own.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:16 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Which is why people should wait to have kids until they can afford them.

Maybe these people would be willing to give up their nice obamaphones to have dental care instead?
Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. Kids cost money. We are already paying for Obama cell phones, no need for tax payers to pick up the tab for kid's cosmetic dentistry.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:27 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Defense is constitutional.

Having dental care is not.

I paid out of pocket for both of my kids braces....if I couldn't have afforded it, they would have imperfect teeth....no biggie.

BTW....it wasn't without financial sacrifice that we paid for braces.
What defense? Rebuilding other nations is defense? Giving up 4 billion in unneeded aid is constitutional and part of defense?

Charity starts at home.

And who cares about what you paid? Millions of people have paid for their children's dental care, including me. Want a cookie for that?

I'm FOR helping poor children. Simple as that.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:29 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Yes, but people don't wait to have kids until they can afford them. Sure they "should." Coulda, woulda, shoulda. The kids shouldn't have to pay for the sins of their parents and what they "should have" done.
Well I certainly shouldn't have to pay for the sins of their parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies