U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2007, 05:59 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,502,921 times

Advertisements

Alright. Now, mind you, I'm doing this light-heartedly. Mods, feel free to move this thread anywhere else you see fit. If you feel fit to destroy this thread, I'm sorry for creating it. ((See very end of thread for the true reason for the thread before doing so please!))

Last week, somebody added a little comment to a post saying I should run for president. Now, they didn't sign their name, but I was flattered and honoured. But it made me think long and hard about the implications.

I cropped the image because I was on my computer at work ((Navy computer, had to hide certain things))

But here's the topics that I can think of that most greatly affect most people's decisions on a candidate:

Health care: The process of getting health care needs to be reformed. The current system gives free medical to the poor and the well-to-do can afford private insurance. We're leaving out a significant portion of our society. If elected, I would like to create an all-access government sponsored health insurance. Insurance of America, IoA, is a plan designed to replace Medicaid, Medicare and provide insurance to anybody (and dependents) with a job. For those who cannot work for themselves, the premium will be taken out of the caretaker's pay - much like a child's premium comes out of the parent's check.

IoA is an Insurance Plan meant to compete in the free Market. If you want to stick with your private insurance, then you do so without the burden of taking care of somebody else.

As for premiums, 3% of your income gets taken off for yourself. If you have a working spouse, the spouse pays 3% of their income. If your spouse is not working, add 2% for that spouse. Add 1% per child. If both parents are working, the percent is split in half and .5% comes out of each parent's check. For those who get cash under the table, they can pay their percent when they file income taxes or send a check via certified mail.

Insurance of America (from here called IoA) would pay for routine doctor and dentist visits each year. When it comes to the Eye Doctor, the insurance will pay for frames up to a certain amount and the BASIC lens for glasses. Anything extra will come out of pocket - contacts are out of pocket. Doctor visits for colds, flu, or other "sick" problems (stomache hurts, etc) will cost $10 - that way a parent is less likely to medicate their doctor with Rx strength vice OTC Cough Syrup.

Emergency Room care will only be paid for if the "emergency" is deemed an actual emergency. Bringing your child to the ER because he/she sneezed will cost you - and if you don't pay, the money will be taken out of your paycheck with a 1% increase in money taken out.

If you get fired - you have 2 months to find a new job. If you get laid off - you have 3 months to find a job. If you quit - you have 2 weeks to find a job. However, during those grace periods, you (and your kids) will maintain coverage for free. Past the grace period, you will not lose your insurance, but half of your percentage deduction will be tacked on for double the amount of time past the grace period *to make up for the missed time without hurting income too badly*. However, once you have a new job, you must keep it for at least 6 months - penalty being re-compensating the Gov't during the time without a job with a 1% increase (per person covered) taken out for the next 3 months of your next job.

If in 1 year time, you do not get a job, you forfeit all coverage and will not be eligible until spending at least 6 months at a job.

Immigration: Too many illegals are getting in. It's costing the United States jobs, health care costs, and bankrupting school systems. Many simply want a Mexico in America - a country that will bend over backwards for them. I plan to make American English the Official Language of America. No longer will the dual-language labels waste space, paper, ink and time. No longer can people take the Naturalization Test in Spanish.

I plan to build 2 solid concrete walls with a 10 foot mine field in between - there will be marked driving space for all legal travelers. The entrances and exits to/from America will be manned by armed body guards. On the wall furthest from Mexican soil will be machine gun turrets, just in case.

Anybody found to be illegal in this country will be immediately deported. People here in this country illegally do not have any rights. They are not citizens. They should not be able to sue or vote or even own property here. If arrested by police and found to be illegal, immediate deportation.

Anybody found hiring illegals or paying illegals will be fined heavily for the first offense. Repeated offenders can be jailed.

War in Iraq and General Military: The war was agreed on by everybody. However, it's gone too far. Our men and women in uniform are being used as diplomatic body guards to the Iraqi government. The War against Terror is the same as the War on Drugs - it'd be great to win, but highly unlikely. All we've managed to do is breed better terrorists. And given them more of a reason to be terrorists.

We need to slowly and steadily pull our troops back to the United States. We need to reunify family and friends.

I will stress that the Armed Forces is not to be taken lightly. Anybody who wishes to put on the uniform has taken the oath to go to war if needed. Many of the jobs in the military do not involve actual combat, but can put you near the front lines.

If a country were to make a direct attack on America and lay claim to it, I would not hesitate to confront.

Outsourcing: There have been an alarming increase in the number of recalled goods from China. Dog and Cat food that has resulted in the death of many life partners and some human illness. Children's Toys. That is probably the scariest part of the recalls. The number of children's toys that have been recalled because of lead is astounding.

Because of the willingness of the Chinese, Indian, and Mexicans to work for pennies compared to American Workers, many jobs have been outsourced at an alarming rate. Some hospitals have even outsourced their radiologists. I plan to create incentive programs to try and bring some of these jobs back to the American soil.

Smoking Bans: I understand the implication of second hand smoke. However, I do not agree with forcing people out into the cold because of a habit that is completely legal. Instead of creating blanket bans across the nation - I feel we can benefit more by allowing certain restaurants and bars to cater to the smoking population with big neon signs on the door: SMOKING ONLY. Choice is everything.

Gas: Gas companies are posting record breaking profits through price gouging. Though this is the free market, I do not agree with doing things short of destroying the economy. Because of the price gouging in effect, many retailers are seeing lower and lower profits, even though the big holiday season is upon us. Who is seeing the profit in their pocket besides the shareholders and big-boys of the companies? If these companies are to continue breaking profit records, some of the profit needs to be shared by the little guys of the company.

Women's Rights: If a woman finds herself in a situation where she cannot take care of a soon-to-be child, then no man should be able to make the decision for her. In the end, she's the one to endure all of the physical pains and hardships of pregnancy.
--------------------------------------------------------------
My qualifications are as followed:

Schooling: I graduated from High School with an Advanced Diploma with Honors. During this time I took enough College courses for 2 years towards a BS - which I'm currently working on finishing part-time.

Jobs: I've worked at Pollard's, Ace Hardware, Hungate's, Wal-mart, and I'm now a programmer contracting for the Navy.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I have no Big Business or Lobby backing, so at the end of the day, I don't have to answer to anybody but the public.

If there are any other issues you'd like to discuss concerning my platforms, feel free to post them here or PM me.

NOTE: This is done in humor. While I'd like to become a candidate in politics, I am neither old enough, nor have any sort of financial backing to do my campaign. I'm 15 years too young to even apply for candidacy for President.

The real point to this thread is to discuss something that I've been thinking about for quite a long time. I have strong political opinions, values, and knowledge enough to have decent civil arguments with people here that are generally twice my age (or older, YIKES!) - See the Smoking Ban thread for my favorite example.

However, at 20 years of age, I am too young to become a politician. Why is it that the government and free market can't discriminate against the elderly, but can easily discriminate against the youth?

Aren't the youth supposed to be the future? Why punish the youth because we feel they "might not understand the whole picture" - yet we expose them on a daily basis to the shortcomings of our economy, politics, and way of lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 06:08 PM

20,310 posts, read 19,467,026 times
I would vote for you based on your platform....
Experience in washington is completely over rated. Case in point it is totolly screwed up and by the experienced.
DC needs a transfusion of fresh blood and alot of it.
I would add to your platform. Term limits. No more than 12 years combined between congress and senate.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:34 PM

3,861 posts, read 7,599,180 times
Great platform. I would vote for you in a second. One thing I would add is that we need to see campaign finance reform. I would also like to see the lobbyists go.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:36 PM

Thanks for the support.. but I highly doubt that the elected officials would be willing to change the rules that were laid down 100+ years ago - to allow for fresh blood to enter. I'm still 15 years too shy of every campaigning.

And yes, I agree with term limits 100%. The same people get in because of the name factor, a lot of voters just usually re-vote in the incumbent instead of doing the research.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:58 PM

19,521 posts, read 20,908,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Thanks for the support.. but I highly doubt that the elected officials would be willing to change the rules that were laid down 100+ years ago - to allow for fresh blood to enter. I'm still 15 years too shy of every campaigning.

And yes, I agree with term limits 100%. The same people get in because of the name factor, a lot of voters just usually re-vote in the incumbent instead of doing the research.
What if we elect you and you change your mind?

Then we'll be stuck with you until you're really old. Like 30 or something...

Old 11-19-2007, 07:07 PM

Oh my, by that time I might be old enough to run for president.. Le Gasp!

Oh, and I don't like to make promises and such that I don't keep. I know I'm oldfashioned, but promises are promises.

And I can't give you reps 'cause I gave some to you earlier...

Old 11-19-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Oh my, by that time I might be old enough to run for president.. Le Gasp!

Oh, and I don't like to make promises and such that I don't keep. I know I'm oldfashioned, but promises are promises.

And I can't give you reps 'cause I gave some to you earlier...
That's okay. I draw some consolation from the fact that I have several bottles of wine older than you.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
That's okay. I draw some consolation from the fact that I have several bottles of wine older than you.
Oh, but you're the one that offered your son to me

See here!

Again, I'm joking and discussing actual topics with people quite a bit older than me. I'm sure if more people listened to the youth of today, they'd actually hear more than just chit-chatting about who's picking up who.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:40 PM

4,852 posts, read 8,996,558 times
Quote:
Immigration: Too many illegals are getting in. It's costing the United States jobs, health care costs, and bankrupting school systems. Many simply want a Mexico in America - a country that will bend over backwards for them. I plan to make American English the Official Language of America. No longer will the dual-language labels waste space, paper, ink and time. No longer can people take the Naturalization Test in Spanish.

I plan to build 2 solid concrete walls with a 10 foot mine field in between - there will be marked driving space for all legal travelers. The entrances and exits to/from America will be manned by armed body guards. On the wall furthest from Mexican soil will be machine gun turrets, just in case.

Anybody found to be illegal in this country will be immediately deported. People here in this country illegally do not have any rights. They are not citizens. They should not be able to sue or vote or even own property here. If arrested by police and found to be illegal, immediate deportation.

Anybody found hiring illegals or paying illegals will be fined heavily for the first offense. Repeated offenders can be jailed.
Thanks for the frame that I can use to promote SI Metric.
Quote:
Too many exports are not getting out. It's costing the United States jobs, health care costs, and bankrupting school systems; a lot of money wasted. Many simply want a Britain in America - a country that will bend over backwards for them. I plan to make SI Metric the official measurement of America. No longer will the dual-unit labels waste space, paper, ink and time. No longer will the American people be ruled by the King of England's foot.

Anybody not following the rules of SI will be fined heavily for the first offense. Repeated offenders can be jailed.
By the way the mine field should be 3 meters wide. The correct way to write it is 3(space)m. Ex: 3 m

Old 11-20-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Oh, but you're the one that offered your son to me

Hey, I've got wine, I've got sons. I'm doubly blessed.

See here!

Again, I'm joking and discussing actual topics with people quite a bit older than me. I'm sure if more people listened to the youth of today, they'd actually hear more than just chit-chatting about who's picking up who.
Perhaps after you were elected, you could convince them to put down their cellphones for a moment so that we could do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or