U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 11:40 AM

10,582 posts, read 8,279,603 times

Advertisements

Even Consumer Reports, long famed for their support of big-government solutions to problems, says that the Obamacare websites are better avoided than used.

How can a health care scheme that's been on the books for three years, with half a $billion spent on website developers, have so many major problems with its website even after all that time and effort to set up?

----------------------------------------------

Consumer Reports:

Consumer Reports: ‘Stay Away From HealthCare.gov’

By Alec Torres
October 21, 2013 9:56 AM

Consumer Reports, which publishes reviews of consumer products and services, advised its readers to avoid the federal healthcare exchange “for at least another month if you can.” “Hopefully that will be long enough for its software vendors to clean up the mess they’ve made,” the magazine said, having tested the site themselves over the course of the past three weeks.

Noting that only 271,000 of the 9.47 million people who tried signing up in the first week managed to create an account, Consumer Reports then provided a few tips to those attempting to slog through the application process. From attempting successive logins because “error messages … may not always match reality” to checking your inbox frequently because if you miss an e-mail you’ll be timed out of the site and forced to start from square one, none of the suggestions guaranteed success.

The magazine has also released a string of scathing reviews. On October 1, the day the Obamacare exchanges went online, the magazine told people to be patient: “Don’t worry if you can’t sign up today or even within the next couple of weeks.” A week into enrollment, they urged again to “wait a couple weeks and hope that the site irons out its many problems” because the HealthCare.gov is “barely operational.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 11:43 AM

45,781 posts, read 34,024,908 times
Week 3 in a 6 month enrollment period ......This too shall pass.

The web site is not necessary to enroll in ACA compliant insurance.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:45 AM

8,233 posts, read 11,270,366 times
I was able to get signed up. Sounds like a large group is hoping it doesn't work, It's the same people that thought Romney was going to win by 14 points. Wrong again. All good on the healthcare front.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:46 AM

600 posts, read 551,604 times
and this proves what in your rightwing mind

uninsured and/or individual market consumers have 5 more months to eventually sign up, in which time I'm confident they will fix the software problems.

typically, you're ignorantly and malevolently confusing and conflating the website with the overall law, in a lame republican attempt to discredit the ACA .

no one's falling for it...

Old 10-21-2013, 11:50 AM

12,025 posts, read 5,707,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
I was able to get signed up. Sounds like a large group is hoping it doesn't work, It's the same people that thought Romney was going to win by 14 points. Wrong again. All good on the healthcare front.
Call the White House -- they are looking for anyone who has managed to "sign up". A free trip to Washington may be on your horizon.
Obama likes a background of "folks" every time he gives us one of his Lectures.

Sir Lecturealot - Maureen Dowd, New York Times

Old 10-21-2013, 11:53 AM

10,582 posts, read 8,279,603 times
How can a health care scheme that's been on the books for three years, with half a $billion spent on website developers, have so many major problems with its website even after all that time and effort to set up?

Old 10-21-2013, 12:06 PM

9,535 posts, read 7,831,724 times
Y'know, if mr. "I will not negotiate" would have allowed the dreaded repugnicans to delay the citizen mandate in his "signature legislation" for one year (you know, the way HE did for businesses), maybe, just MAYBE, mind you, his people would have had time to thoroughly test the system and made sure it would work the first time!

Old 10-21-2013, 12:15 PM

9,137 posts, read 6,750,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
that can be your mission of understanding...Instead of posting threads use your computer as a tool for education and understanding.

If you have unanswered questions seek the answers.

BTW you seem to have ommited that Consumer reports stated to stay away forn HealthGare.gov for a month.

A bit of information maybe you were unaware of.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:29 PM

4,130 posts, read 3,855,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Even Consumer Reports, long famed for their support of big-government solutions to problems, says that the Obamacare websites are better avoided than used.
Consumer Reports, which publishes reviews of consumer products and services, advised its readers to avoid the federal healthcare exchange “for at least another month if you can.”
Better avoided for a month. Try reading more than the headline before posting the article.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:30 PM

29,345 posts, read 39,740,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Week 3 in a 6 month enrollment period ......This too shall pass.

The web site is not necessary to enroll in ACA compliant insurance.
I have only a couple weeks. I must decide whether to jump ship on my employer offered plan and go to an ACA plan pretty soon as it is open enrollment on the employer plan too. ACA will save me several hundred on a much better plan, but if I can't be assured that my newinsurance will be there on 1/1/2014, then I will have to stay on the rotten, overpriced employer offering. I have "enrolled" as well but have not heard on the status of the application that is, I assume, to be submitted to the insurance company for acceptance, billing etc. I don't get a subsidy so I have a couple options including directly enrolling with the insurance company, but they too are overwhelmed and just send a message saying it might be a while before they get back to me on my info request. We shall see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or