Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 10:56 PM

16,578 posts, read 8,600,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
The pendulum has swung so far to the left? What country are you living in? We have a president who is right of center (yes, to the great dismay of liberals, he is); and the Tea Party, who rules the House, and for the last three years, pretty much all of Congress, is so far to the right that the middle is just a faint speck on the horizon. We haven't begun to swing back to the left.

But it's coming.
Having nothing to do with (R) vs. (D) or liberal vs. conservative, I find it hard to believe you actually think that way. Granted if you are dog nuts on the far left of the political spectrum, you might view Obama as right of center. But that would be akin to someone on the far right saying Reagan was left of center.

See how absurd that sounds to you?

So just imagine how your comment comes across to most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 11:36 PM

25 posts, read 24,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The pendulum has swung to the statist, nanny, big government side vs. freedom, liberty and self determination on the other.
Arguing party differences is about as silly as it gets.
So tell me -- what freedoms have you lost as a result of the "statist, nanny, BG"? What liberties? How is your right to self-determination been diminished by this group?

I would argue that The Patriot Act, a GOP device, has done more to erode our rights and freedoms than anything else in history.

I would argue that the guarantee of rights to the white elite, and the concurrent evisceration of voting rights of poor and minorities (under the false flag of "voter fraud"), the denial of adult decision-making by women in spite of Roe V Wade being the law of the land, the union-busting of "Right To Work" laws, has done nearly as much damage.

I would argue that tax cuts to millionaires and billionaires, many of whom pay less in tax than their own personal assistants (despite making 100x more), is a criminal misuse of the concept of "free enterprise".

I would argue that the millions who are now on food stamps would be off them TOMORROW if their jobs weren't dissolved by executives protecting their own bonuses and trying to hide their gross mismanagement, graft and greed. HINT: it's not a high-schooler who's shoveling your fries at McD's anymore....

It's past time to get over this delusion that private industry is an honorable subset of society, dedicated to the advancement of America through their goodness. People like Mike Duke, CEO of Walmart, and the Koch Brothers would sell YOUR mother into Arab sex slavery for the tab at tomorrow's luncheon. I don't trust them any further than I can lift my garage.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:26 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,311,609 times
It would be great to know how many people on this thread are getting government handouts. I think that would affect how one feels about this administration and the way it has changed America. By handouts I don't mean Social Security or Medicare. I mean the ones that are not earned.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:56 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
It would be great to know how many people on this thread are getting government handouts. I think that would affect how one feels about this administration and the way it has changed America. By handouts I don't mean Social Security or Medicare. I mean the ones that are not earned.
[MOD CUT/off topic]

I make $60,000 a year at my job, pay all my taxes, get no other "handouts" as you describe them, and support the social safety net and taxation to fund our nation's needs. So do dozens of other posters on this forum who feel as I do about the social contract. I understand that you're completely incapable of grasping that simple concept. That's why I feel sorry for you. It must be dark and ugly inside your mind.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-22-2013 at 05:37 PM..

Old 10-22-2013, 04:50 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Does that mean that you can't list any specific freedoms that you have lost?

The more liberty the left takes from the people, the more the people lose forever. The constant drive by the liberal freaks for an ever-increasing all-powerful federal government turns once free citizens into enslaved subjects.

Naturally, I do not expect you to be able to comprehend such extremely simple concepts.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:52 PM

9,890 posts, read 10,821,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post

The more liberty the left takes from the people, the more the people lose forever. The constant drive by the liberal freaks for an ever-increasing all-powerful federal government turns once free citizens into enslaved subjects.

Naturally, I do not expect you to be able to comprehend such extremely simple concepts.
Well said Glitch............By default , Bigger government = less Freedom.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:27 PM

25 posts, read 24,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post

I'M still waiting for you sound-byters to ENUMERATE these so-called "lost liberties".

("Big gov't=lost liberties"? by that, I guess you mean the liberty to eat poisoned food that's been mishandled, or the liberty to be killed for a pair of shoes; maybe it's the liberty to run over a pedestrian or bike rider with your car because you're impatient. WAIT -- I KNOW -- it's the liberty to travel on dirt roads that have no asphalt!)

Old 10-23-2013, 07:32 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,441,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Now that the pendulumn has swung so far to the left, does anyone believe that in the course of the next several elections we will ever regain our freedoms and common sense lost in the obama years. I fear not , when you factor the ignorance and the entitlement mentality that is pervasive in our society today. For the first time in my life, I think we are really ripe for a revolution.
Your revolutionaries...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies