Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2013, 09:20 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Not one leftie responded to my truthful statement about what Ron Paul was asked.

He was diractly asked "If a young man had the opportunity to purchase insurance, but refused to, and then had a serious accident, should he be allowed to die?" Ron Paul answered as I would have...."It's nobody elses responsibility to pay for his poor decision."

So no.....I personally wouldn't want to let him die, but HE made the decision before that to let himself die.

Once we get past feeling sorry for those who made poor decisions, the sooner we'll be back on track as a nation.

Place blame where it belongs.....
Should first responders and the ER delay any attempts at stabilizing someone who had a serious accident until they can ascertain if he carries adequate insurance?

Stabilizing someone who has had a serious accident usually involves surgery and hospitalization. It's impossible to predetermine the costs.

As an aside, dear old Ron Paul also advocated for selling all public land to the highest bidder.

I respected his predictability and consistency. Nothing more or less.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Isn't this what Medicaid is for? If a person has exhausted his resources, then Medicaid kicks in and pays for their medical care.
I have a dear friend who was retired and had a nice nest egg for her golden years. She had a stroke which required that she have around the clock care in a facility. She has lived like this for over 10 years. Very few of us, even those who had saved and lived frugally, could afford to pay for this. Her husband was allowed to keep a fraction of their assets and their home, and once she had spent down the rest, Medicaid kicked in.
All our biggest fears should be that our healthy spouse will be made destitute taking care of us. It makes me angry that many people are on Medicaid their whole lives, yet hard working people who saved must be forced to spend everything before they can get it.
Nevada expanded their state Medicaid coverage to low-income adults, effective January 1, 2014.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Are we living on the same planet? I couldn't buy health insurance for any price (and not that I would have been able to when I was 22 and unemployed out of college) when I tried to self-pay. Now, with a cancer diagnosis under my belt, no way in hell would anyone cover me knowing that my costs of care would be in $20,000 a year minimum for the foreseeable future. No one would cover my dad with diabetes. No one would cover my mom with high blood pressure and a few other things.

If all of my friends and family chipped in 10% for my cancer treatment, I wouldn't come CLOSE. Again, just 6 months of chemotherapy and related treatments cost almost 10x my salary. And I will be racking up major bills until I'm 5 years in remission.
Pre ACA, preexisting coverage was determined at the state level. 13 states had laws that prevented pre-existing riders to be attached to any individual healthcare insurance policy. The other states defaulted to a look back period that ranged from months to years to forever.

Not all states maintained high risk pools. Those that did, had caps on the number and conditions considered.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Not society.
That's how it works in the third world.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
i had 1500 in dental work done in 06. was told i had to pay 100 for it. was flat broke at the time. paid 100, never paid the rest back. i dont know who covered my other 1400, but good job to whoever did.
Probably me. The dentist charged me and his other patients $2000 for the same work you had done.
He also ran my credit card before beginning work and apologized and said he had been stiffed too many times.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:49 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,604,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
They why do people come to the US to get their operations? They can get them in the UK if they can wait for months on end and won't die first.
Because that's a right wing republican talking point that's been discredited by actual Britons and Canadians.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post

The cost of emergency care for the uninsured is $4.7B year.

What's the source of this misinformation?

Old 10-22-2013, 09:54 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,604,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Some of us believe healthcare is a human right.

Others seem to have no issue with being the proverbial death panel and lowering the boom if one cannot pay.
Actually 90% of CD posters believe that, based on the following CD poll:

Do you see access to health care as a necessity, or luxury and privilege.

Only 10% want death panels and agonizing deaths and they are a vocal minority. Fortunately ACA prevailed and their sentiments are slowly dying.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
That's how it should be.

[let them eat cake]
Except they don't eat it.

It becomes the cost of doing business which is a factor is the prices charged to everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies