Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 12:03 AM

30,246 posts, read 23,716,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
Yes, because clearly a person who thinks the dictionary is lying is an A student.

I think you were lucky to get that C and quite frankly, the fact that you got a C instead of flunking out just proves how far we've let our academic standards slip over the last 45 years or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Of course you deserved an A, sweetie! Here, have a Girl Scout cookie for all your hard work. Your teacher is clearly a big, fat poopy-head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
LOL!!!

That particular school... 102 credits of 4.0, and 1 class with a c.

You figure it out. I WAS the best writer in the class, as well. I just made the "mistake" of goring her liberal oxen, and she got extremely hostile, to the point of refusing to speak to me.

Not that it really mattered. Does it matter in life, if you get done with a 3.93 instead of a 4.0 for school grades? Not in the slightest. What does matter is what you learn along the way. And what I learned was that she - a political insider in the state government - was perfectly willing to punish for no other reason than you had the wrong politics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
what grade did you get in geography?
Would you all put your school grade peens away? You look ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 12:32 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,283,538 times
Quote:
Your original comment:

Do you truly fail to comprehend anything, or is this just an exercise in making up implied insults?
You can't just come out and just say "of course we know it's not really theft, we just like to call it that because we don't like having to pay taxes," can you?

Old 10-23-2013, 12:52 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Something I've noticed on here. The partisan right wing posters on here always seem to know how liberals think, and telling them what to think. You know, stupid stuff like, "we know all liberals want everyone to be on government welfare" or stuff along the lines of, "liberals always fall in lock step with their heroes".
But you haven't noticed the partisan left wingers on here saying stupid stuff like "we know all conservatives are racist"? You talk about being partisan but you're being partisan yourself. How many times have I been told I want to control women's bodies, want to establish state religion, want to deny poor people healthcare, etc? It goes both ways.
Quote:
First of all, what sense does it make, at all, to have everyone on government welfare or some form of government program? Do right-wingers really believe that everyone on the left wants everyone to be lazy? I hardly think so.
No they are just morally self righteous and ignore the fraud and lies, the fatherless children and the multigenerational poverty.
Quote:
Second, I've been on both sides of this fence for a while now. I can tell you with conviction, that it is the right-wing who are the least free thinkers in the political arena.
You can say that with conviction all you want, but reality doesn't agree with your conviction. Which side supports the Fairness Doctrine? Which side tries to disrupt speech on campus? Which side wants to outlaw hate speech?
Quote:
There is no Rush Limbaugh on the left, nor does the left have any super dominant news outlet that everyone tunes to.
Because almost the entire media is left wing. Fox news is dominant because it's the only one of its kind out there. If you're liberal and want to watch the news then you have 5 different choices. If you're conservative then you have 1 choice. Obviously the one that isn't splitting up its market amongst multiple providers is going to have higher ratings. It's just simple math. It's not monolithic thought control. It's normal market dynamics. It's like Apple dominating the Iphone the market since they're the only one making iphones.
Quote:
Which leads me to my conclusion, the left are not a flock of geese that the right-wingers think every liberal is.
Agree or disagree?
The evidence disagrees with you. Check out the books of Michael Medved, David Horowitz, and David Mamet about their experiences with their left wing associates once they decided to think a different way.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:04 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,615,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
So true, students will tell you they have to write their assignments with a lib slant if they want a good grade to pass. Indoctranation instead of teaching.
See it all the time. My sons English teacher is horrible for this. Her lesson plans have little to do with English, and more to do with singing the praises of the current regime in DC. Literary assignments like reviewing Obama and Kerry speeches, opinions on Obama policies etc. And, she expects favorable commentary. She and I are heading for a clash at conferences tomorrow. (Sigh)

Old 10-23-2013, 06:32 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,650,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
1, 2, 3, 4) Find me anyone with actual political power (not a raving idiot) who wants to do these things. You even have a tone of being against open speech here; apparently conservative speakers should be able to go on college campuses and their opponents should be silent. There are certainly some family values liberals who are in favor of restricting books and video games but not everyone is aligned with them, as I'm sure you're not aligned with some of the Jesus freaks within your ranks.

5) No one wants to prevent private prayers anywhere. How is this even possible?

6) Your freedom from healthcare is my freedom to be forced to pay for your emergency room visits.

7) Their freedom to not provide these services imposes on women's freedoms to not have their employee dictate their medical care.

8) Your freedom to own guns can be construed as imposing on my freedom to not die from bullets.

***(Do you understand the idea here? This is why you're not "free" to come and ***** on my house)

9-12) None of these things impose on your personal freedoms. Doing something you don't like is not the same as being Stalinist.

Basically, this is the conservative crybaby view of the country. It's a pathetic state of this country to watch grown men complain about having to pay taxes while people in some parts of the world ACTUALLY SUFFER AND DIE FOR THEIR FREEDOM. It'll be sad if/when our democracy is actually upended and no one thinks it's a big deal because Fox and Limbaugh have been crying wolf for so long.

1. The Obama Fairness Doctrine
Pelosi Supports 'Fairness Doctrine' | Human Events

I agree- nancy pelosi is an idiot.

2. liberals do want to shut down FOX

Liberal journalists suggest government censor Fox News | The Daily Caller

3. Liberal colleges ban the military from recruiting on campus

ROTC and Military Recruiters Still Banned From College Campus | Be A Patriot!

4. Liberal routinely threaten or shout down conservative speakers

Conservative Speakers Now Need Bodyguards on College Campuses

5. Liberals censor Mark Twain and other classic works deemed "offensive"

DailyCensored.com – Breaking Censored News, World, Independent, Liberal NewsThe Censorship of Mark Twain - DailyCensored.com - Breaking Censored News, World, Independent, Liberal News

6. Liberals have banned private prayer in public places

http://www.pewforum.org/files/2007/0...ic-schools.pdf

7. The obvious- no one should be compelled by the federal government to buy something they do not want. I pay in federal taxes every year about 8X what you make. I think I am funding you.

8. So you agree that the Feds are dictating (against thier religious views) policy to the Catholic Church? Thanks. When do they start forcing Muslims and Jews to eat pork?

9. Gun control- I see. Which of YOUR Constitutional Amendments do I get to choose to eliminate? Choose carefully.

10. Forcing illogical and failed ideology on the rest of the nation (carbon taxes, limiting drilling, war on coal) is compelling the rest of the nation to PAY for your idiocy. It is like watching a bad round of golf and then having to sign the scorecard and pay the gambling loss.

Your liberal views cost the rest of us money.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:49 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,131,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Something I've noticed on here. The partisan right wing posters on here always seem to know how liberals think, and telling them what to think. You know, stupid stuff like, "we know all liberals want everyone to be on government welfare" or stuff along the lines of, "liberals always fall in lock step with their heroes".

First of all, what sense does it make, at all, to have everyone on government welfare or some form of government program? Do right-wingers really believe that everyone on the left wants everyone to be lazy? I hardly think so.

Second, I've been on both sides of this fence for a while now. I can tell you with conviction, that it is the right-wing who are the least free thinkers in the political arena. There is no Rush Limbaugh on the left, nor does the left have any super dominant news outlet that everyone tunes to. Which leads me to my conclusion, the left are not a flock of geese that the right-wingers think every liberal is.

Agree or disagree?
Actually, I think both sides have been lobotomized. That's the only possible explanation for some of the knee-jerk positions you find on this board.

And that's the problem. When you operate from a fixed ideology rather than thinking about whether a particular initiative is a good idea or not, it clouds your ability to be objective. That's why, for example, we invaded Iraq. It's also why the implementation of Obamacare (Or the ACA) is turning into such a total fiasco right before our very eyes. Because both represented the triumph of wishing and guessing over cold reality.

It's okay, mind you, to have a basic political stance. It is not okay to be willfully blind to the problems that face your political side's most cherished goals. For when you decide to toss out all objectivity because you back one political horse, then you have surrendered your choices in favor of a pre-determined solution independent of its effectiveness. It's akin to walking into your final exam in math and writing "5" as the answer to all the questions. That's what's going on here today.

And, please, do not succumb to the belief that one side is any more moral than the other. Neither really gives a rip about the overall future of the country. They are two rival ideologies that chiefly serve very small cadres of militant supporters while completely ignoring the vast number of people in the middle. You might as well be choosing between the Crips and the Bloods.

If they really did, an entire list of efforts would be enacted. We would have wholesale education reform, one that involved a complete redo of the educational system, rather than be a bloated, archaic, and costly system that runs along the lines of an 18th-Century textile mill. We would have a corporate tax rate and regulatory reform that would actually provided fertile ground for American industry to build plants here and bring home revenues from foreign subsidiaries. And the list goes on forever. But there is no real desire to do those things in Washington.

What's more, I think your belief that there is no liberal media is a complete head-scratcher. Many is the time I've read the New York Times or the HuffPo or viewed MSNBC and seen nothing but spin, spin, and more spin. Even CNN will cut journalistic corners to make a political point.

Last edited by cpg35223; 10-23-2013 at 06:58 AM..

Old 10-23-2013, 06:54 AM

23,529 posts, read 17,205,480 times
Because liberal thought is absent. Libs have more of medullary primitive knee jerk response to problems.

Example, tearing down the economy of the country by forcing cold turkey skyrocketing energy prices to install an as not yet ready energy industry. You know, like releasing a healthcare database and website before it is validated.

Jump before you look is an earmark of liberal control and beggs the question...'what were you thinking????"

Old 10-23-2013, 07:00 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,918,341 times
Actually it's very simple ,
Right thinkers look at the person, the left voted for, which represents them perfectly.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:39 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,615,184 times
The whole premise of the OP is flawed, to the core. The fact of the matter is, liberal leftists want to tell everyone how to think, not conservative rightists, who see freedom of opinion as sacred. We may argue, but we have no illusions about winning hearts and minds, whereas leftists try and sieze control of pulpits with captive audiences, saw off tops of skulls, and pour their ideology in by the bucket. They start with Kindergartens and sweep all the way to universties. Attacking ideas that do not conform the their idea of "enlightenment" by squishing impressionable young minds. More garbage is spewed at young people, under the guise of "tolerance" and "diversity"across than you can shake a stick at. Our kids can explain homosexual family dynamycs, but can't point out CA on a map, even if they live there. They can sing the praises of Affirmative Action policies, but don't know their multiplication tables. They can explain trangenderism, but have no clue what the hearts function in the body is.

"Education"has become social indoctrination, with a one sided view presented as irrefutable fact. Our history has been revised, our language corrupted, our traditions torn down, great works of literature either removed from view or revised to fit, and some leftist tells us that conservatives are telling THEM how to think?

Old 10-23-2013, 07:55 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
Try not paying your taxes. See who has the guns pointed at you.
Why would i "try" not paying my taxes?

I live in what's purported to be the greatest nation on Earth. Doesn't get that way for free. You actually have to pay for it.

Mature adults realize this and pay their taxes accordingly without screaming like a petulant child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies