Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 03:02 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
It wouldn't require much effort or time for the NBA to support gay rights. If they're not dealing with the issues you mentioned, it's not because they're too busy, it's because they don't want to. Clearing their calendar isn't going to make them any more likely to want to. They'll respond when they think their bottom line is in danger.
The NBA is there to entertain people...not to pump propaganda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 03:04 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,184,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
The NBA is there to entertain people...not to pump propaganda.
The NBA is there to make money for itself, but it also should be a good member of the community.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:08 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Yes but what relevance does that bear? Religion is just an institution to place order and control....not much unlike government.

The idea that homosexuality was repulsive was not something inherently immoral...it's a man-derived value just like Christianity is a man-derived concept.

A group of people got together, at some point, and said "Look, we don't like this gay stuff"...to say "eradicating" Christianity would "solve" the opinion on homosexuality and/or Christianity never spreading would have prevented "homosexual intolerance", is a logical fallacy.
Your putting words in my mouth.

christianity and Jesus are two completely different things.

I believe there to be very few Christians these days. Many encompass the entire Bible as his teachings.

But that's a whole nother conversation. The point I was making is that people have used their religion to try and demonize homosexuality. I'm not confining that to just christians either.

I love me some Jesus. He was a rebel.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:19 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,366,059 times
desperant eattempt to sell tickets.
untill they do something about those terrible color combos and fix that horrible lighting,
they can forget about more gehs in the crowd

Old 10-23-2013, 04:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Do you feel the same way about fast food chicken restaurants, cake bakeries and the Boy Scouts?
What the heck does that mean? BTW, I am not opposed in anyway to gay rights, I have a gay foster daughter who has been in a relationship for 20 years, she happens to live in Portland. I just don't see what difference a sports team, especially when we are talking about the owner, not the entire team has to do with gay rights. And I doubt many other people really care one way or the other. Sports teams are a form of entertainment, nothing more, nothing less.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:36 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
It's pretty big because one of the biggest reasons why some gay or bisexual men aren't "out" is because its not accepted socially or because their masculinity comes to play.

When we think of the most masculine professions, we think of Pro Sports, Military, Law Enforcement, Firefighter, etc.

For one of the most masculine professions to support gay rights is a pretty big deal. And a big step in the right direction when it comes to treating all humans as equals.

It's not a "moral" issue. You can not make a morality argument on two grown adults engaging in sexual behavior unless harm is being done to one. You can make a religious argument, or spiritual argument, but not a "moral" argument.
ok, I admit the word "moral" wasn't the best word to use: I just couldn't think of any other word at the time. I am still trying to think of a word, but my point remains the same, taking a stand on certain issues has nothing to do with sports and a few other things as well. Are we supposed to get all excited about this? Do you really think this will make a bit of difference in anyway? I don't.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:53 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
ok, I admit the word "moral" wasn't the best word to use: I just couldn't think of any other word at the time. I am still trying to think of a word, but my point remains the same, taking a stand on certain issues has nothing to do with sports and a few other things as well. Are we supposed to get all excited about this? Do you really think this will make a bit of difference in anyway? I don't.
As a gay athlete who played through college and had the potential to compete at the professional level, I most definitely do.

Not everybody will be able to relate, but for some, this is monumental. Just as it was when Jason Collins came out. Or Frank Ocean in the Hip Hop World.

My intent is to destroy all myths and negative associations our culture have connected to homosexuality. For example, that gay men are unathletic, feminine, etc.

It doesn't make you less of a man. It doesn't make you soft. It is what it is. A sexual, romantic, spiritual, or intellectual attraction.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:56 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,355,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
As a gay athlete who played through college and had the potential to compete at the professional level, I most definitely do.

Not everybody will be able to relate, but for some, this is monumental. Just as it was when Jason Collins came out. Or Frank Ocean in the Hip Hop World.

You raise a good point, but how much does this announcement by the Blazers really do? The NBA still has had only 2 players come out as gay, and one of the two came out only after retirement. That seems like prima facie evidence of a discriminatory environment. And in turn, that is evidence to me that the NBA and other pro sports leagues are really doing nothing to address the issue.

In short, those who are working to advance acceptance of gays in society should be careful that the gay marriage issue does not turn into a convenient red herring.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:20 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,169,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What the heck does that mean? BTW, I am not opposed in anyway to gay rights, I have a gay foster daughter who has been in a relationship for 20 years, she happens to live in Portland. I just don't see what difference a sports team, especially when we are talking about the owner, not the entire team has to do with gay rights. And I doubt many other people really care one way or the other. Sports teams are a form of entertainment, nothing more, nothing less.
Well then you can take this as nothing more, nothing less and continue to see sports for a form of entertainment value only. Don't see why the Blazers saying they are in support of gay rights has any negative effect for you unless you are against it.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:10 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,705 times
Support for gay marriage has really just become a popular trend, it's "cool" right now to be in favor of it and it earns you good cred among Hollywood and other media types. Which is why so many celebs are in favor of it, and the same reason why young people support it too. I know people who only support it because Lady Gaga does, yes that's how sad they are.

Some people may legitimately support it, but when you get down to it the truth is that most of the people who say they are in favor of it are only saying so to be popular for a week. I don't pay any attention to it really. I don't support gay marriage but I don't see why people make such a big deal about people who are gay, this goes for both liberals and conservatives. Liberals want to celebrate it which is stupid, and Conservatives (and I am one) want too redicule the person, I say if a person is gay that's their own business and we should simply not pay it any attention whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies