Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2013, 10:21 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,604,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why would you assume he wasn't working until age 64?

Do you not realize how ridiculous your post was? Who starts work at age 64?

And I'm not Republican; I'm Independent.
Do you not realize how ridiculous you cannot follow posts on this thread? Go through this thread and read my exchange with you and Goingback2011 about the history of Medicare. I was posing a hypothetical that if Medicare started in 1966 and he turned 65 in 1967 he would have paid into Medicare only 1 year before getting lifetime benefits which rebuts your argument that everyone paid into Medicare for 40 years before getting lifetime benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 10:24 PM

88,964 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
Do you not realize how ridiculous you cannot follow posts on this thread? Go through this thread and read my exchange with you and Goingback2011 about the history of Medicare. I was posing a hypothetical that if Medicare started in 1966 and he turned 65 in 1967 he would have paid into Medicare only 1 year before getting lifetime benefits which rebuts your argument that everyone paid into Medicare for 40 years before getting lifetime benefits.
Why would you assume someone wasn't working until age 64?

And that's not what you posted. You posted this:
Quote:
if you were 65 in 1973 you would have been in Medicare after paying only 1 year. Do the arithmetic.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Decades worth of SS and Medicare premiums plus interest is a substantial amount of money. It won't be a problem.
Social Security a LOSING deal for most workers

I 've paid substantially more than that.
So I originally asked if the day you get your SS lumpsum of $1 million since you paid in substantially more than the average worker you don't care about, and you get hit with medical bills over the course of the next year of twice what you get, which is $2 million, so answer the question, with your big windfall and no Medicare, what would you do?

Old 10-24-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
So I originally asked if the day you get your SS lumpsum of $1 million since you paid in substantially more than the average worker you don't care about, and you get hit with medical bills over the course of the next year of twice what you get, which is $2 million, so answer the question, with your big windfall and no Medicare, what would you do?
Pay for medical care myself. People can do that.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
He was working but until 1966 there was no Medicare to pay into. You realize you said everyone had to pay 4 decades into Medicare before getting Medicare benefits but I'm trying to say that when Medicare started, the hard workers who happened to just turn 65 got Medicare benefits without paying 4 decades into Medicare. But if that's not true just let me know.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Fine, you win. Just like Medicare, no one gets national health care until age 65 but they'll have to pay national health care premiums for decades before that.
No, let's expand Medicare downward to the younger population as an ultimate goal.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Pay for medical care myself. People can do that.
okay you've got yours you don't care about others fine if that's the independent party enjoy your self-congratulatory party who can pay for their own medical care and screw those who can't. I can pay for medical care myself but I know people who can't through no fault of their own and I'd like to help those people. I understand where you are coming from, if they can't pay for their health care they are takers and leeches and parasites so just let them die.

Last edited by fumbling; 10-24-2013 at 10:47 PM..

Old 10-24-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:

And that's not what you posted. You posted this:
Reread the exchange and maybe you'll figure it out I'll say it once more I'm trying to convey the point that:

Until 1966 there was no Medicare to pay into. You said everyone had to pay 4 decades into Medicare before getting Medicare benefits but I'm trying to say that when Medicare started, the hard workers who happened to just turn 65 got Medicare benefits without paying 4 decades into Medicare so I'm just saying your statement wasn't true for the vast majority of Medicare recipients until the last decade or so.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
He was working but until 1966 there was no Medicare to pay into.
Why would he have not paid Medicare premiums from 1966 to 1972?
Quote:
You realize you said everyone had to pay 4 decades into Medicare before getting Medicare benefits
I said...
Quote:
Pay the equivalent of 4 decades of premiums from working (age 25 to 65) before benefits can be accessed and you're IN!
That is true of most current retirees. Life expectancy of those born more than 6 decades ago is around 69 years.
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005148.html

Old 10-24-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
No, let's expand Medicare downward to the younger population as an ultimate goal.
That's not Medicare. That's something different. People pay Medicare premiums for decades before they ever receive Medicare benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies