Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2007, 08:38 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Yes, they talk and talk......both sides have done nothing. Has anyone visited L.A. or parts of S Florida recently. We are turning into a 3rd world country and no politician is doing anything. Open borders, people on the streets, people in California now needing the governor to enact laws against banks foreclosing. How is the US supposed to pay for all these illegals with no jobs, no money and no medical care (or ar we the taxpayers just suppposed to ignore this fact )

This doesn't sound like the great country it was, to me. Not like the one my parents grew up in.
and if I may add, 3 large hospitals closed b/c illegals ran to emergency rooms for free care and couldn't pay...therefore, closing down 3, big hospitals....
People think when you tell them this stuff your making it up...they don't believe it...people think that just because you don't hear anything about New Orleans any longer, that it's all built up and better, when in fact, it to is like a 3rd world country. An internet friend of mine, has taken in her mother and mother in law and they all protect their home with guns...mind you...people down there are committing suicide, but nobody cares, it's not true....right? Step right up, bring in the next corrupt politician...all of em are a dog and pony show...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 10:44 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
and if I may add, 3 large hospitals closed b/c illegals ran to emergency rooms for free care and couldn't pay...therefore, closing down 3, big hospitals....
People think when you tell them this stuff your making it up...they don't believe it...people think that just because you don't hear anything about New Orleans any longer, that it's all built up and better, when in fact, it to is like a 3rd world country. An internet friend of mine, has taken in her mother and mother in law and they all protect their home with guns...mind you...people down there are committing suicide, but nobody cares, it's not true....right? Step right up, bring in the next corrupt politician...all of em are a dog and pony show...
I know. Its very sad. IMO the American people care, but these sociopaths in office (most) are the untouchables....they talk about Thanksgiving with their kids (who arent in Iraq) it is just sickening.

We vote, but it makes no difference. People protested in NY, but the elites move on.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:26 AM

478 posts, read 959,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I know. Its very sad. IMO the American people care, but these sociopaths in office (most) are the untouchables....they talk about Thanksgiving with their kids (who arent in Iraq) it is just sickening.

We vote, but it makes no difference. People protested in NY, but the elites move on.
I know what ya are saying, but I wish the word "elites" would not be used when describing the people in power. Elite invokes the thought that they are better than the regular citizen, when in reality that is far from the case. More accurately, they are just soulless rich scumbags - who were born into money or sold themselves out to get in the positions they are in now.

Anyways, more good vibes in regards to what could be in store for us all...and if it happens, you can bet your last worthless dollar that it is all by design.

The only person out there - who can save this country - is Ron Paul.

Forecast: U.S. dollar could plunge 90 pct - UPI.com

Old 11-24-2007, 12:47 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkshires413 View Post
I know what ya are saying, but I wish the word "elites" would not be used when describing the people in power. Elite invokes the thought that they are better than the regular citizen, when in reality that is far from the case. More accurately, they are just soulless rich scumbags - who were born into money or sold themselves out to get in the positions they are in now.
Yeah Berkshires, but they are the very best of soulless wealthy scumbags!

Like all things and every club or organization, it can't be fully comprised of idiots and morons, there has to at least be a few sharp enough to run the show otherwise it would collapse from the ineptitude. Look how long Cheney has held this administration together, see.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:09 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
A lot of people voted for George Bush originally because they wanted the tax cuts. Well, you got your tax cuts; and you got your devalued dollar right along with it. Now our country is in debt up to our eyeballs. Wouldn't it have been better to keep paying a little more in taxes and have had a balanced budget?
Tax cuts do no cause debt or devalue the dollar.
Tax cuts (in part), however, did cause the huge GDP growth of 8.3% back in 2004, the biggest GDP growth since 1984, when it was 9.7% (the result of another tax cut).
Tax cuts (in part) have also led to 30 months of job growth and a low unemployment rate in the 4% bracket.

Tax cuts help the economy; tax hikes hurt it.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:24 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
America has survived a civil war, two world wars, numerous conflicts, political scandals, environmental disasters, natural disasters, biological disasters, economic disasters, and a plethora of various other doomsday scenarios and we have endured, as we will through these tough times.

It is usually during the tough times in which people give serious thoughts to their actions, responsibilities, and duties which often lead to positive change.

While some folks see America as a piece of china that has fallen off a shelf and shattered into a million pieces, I see America as a flat tire on a car. While a major pain in the arse and a serious set back, it can be patched and tomorrow the sun will rise.
In the stock market, the line is something like "Past performance does not indicate future performance." Does anyone remember a great empire called Rome? How about the one called England?

Old 11-25-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
While I agree with alot of what you have said on this tread so far. I stopping this BS comment HERE AND NOW! Age doesn't provide wisdom. It's EXPERIENCE that provides wisdom. And you don't got to be that old to get it. I grew up poor and I learned my lessons at a young age on what money is, how it works and how to stay out of trouble with it. I know plenty of X'ers (like me) who saw this disaster coming and have/are trying to prepare for the fall. YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE OLD TO BE WISE, PERIOD!

Age, (having seen a lot), Experience (having experienced a lot) and wisdom. Just because you have had the first two, doesn't mean the latter. Some people don't learn from experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
BTW who do you think caused most of the problems in the economy. Xers? There's not enough of us to do this much damage. Gen Y? don't think so.
Boomers do tend to over inflate their accomplishments, don't give credit to the lost generation, and the one's before for their accomplishments (they paved the roads that boomers walked). Also, you are correct about our numbers. You can't expect the same kind of impact on a generation, or two generations that number less than the boomers.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Tax cuts do no cause debt or devalue the dollar.
Tax cuts (in part), however, did cause the huge GDP growth of 8.3% back in 2004, the biggest GDP growth since 1984, when it was 9.7% (the result of another tax cut).
Tax cuts (in part) have also led to 30 months of job growth and a low unemployment rate in the 4% bracket.

Tax cuts help the economy; tax hikes hurt it.

How do you explain over 40 months of PRIVATE sector job decline. Making it up in the Gov't sector is practically cheating.

How do you explain that Clinton's average is at the same rate as Bush's best record?

Old 11-25-2007, 05:09 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
In the stock market, the line is something like "Past performance does not indicate future performance." Does anyone remember a great empire called Rome? How about the one called England?
Yes I very well understand this. If America's economy tumbles to its worst ever, America will still be here as will her people. The manner in which it exist may change and the views the people hold are liable to be different but America will in all likelihood remain. Rome is still a city and Italians still exist. Britain is still a country and the British still enjoy a quirky sense of humor. While the empires they may have had no longer exist, it is the inevitability that all empires, rise and fall, why should we believe that we are unique in humankind?

Old 11-26-2007, 01:28 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
How do you explain over 40 months of PRIVATE sector job decline. Making it up in the Gov't sector is practically cheating.
Let's see the figures and statistics for that.
Edit: I found some already. According to marketwatch.com, employment in the U.S. private sector grew by 48,000 in July, 2007.

Quote:
How do you explain that Clinton's average is at the same rate as Bush's best record?
Bush was hampered with a recession he inherited, the 9/11 attacks and hurricane Katrina all of which meant hundreds of thousands of jobs losses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies