U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2007, 09:32 AM

19,498 posts, read 20,844,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
One more thing baystater. Both of my grandparents along with millions of others lived throught the real Great Depression. All four retired quite comfortably and had risen from borderline poverty to solid middle class. And that was a real Depression, not some inevitable downturn.
Same as mine. That's because they didn't know how stressed and oppressed they were. Why, today folks need grief counseling if their Lexus picks up some road tar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 10:01 AM

4,429 posts, read 5,656,916 times
Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Same as mine. That's because they didn't know how stressed and oppressed they were. Why, today folks need grief counseling if their Lexus picks up some road tar.

Road Tar!!!!!!!!!! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My cars as ruined as Brittney spear's career is. Boo Hoo Hoo..........................

Old 11-29-2007, 12:31 PM

2,731 posts, read 2,828,676 times
Quote:
One more thing baystater. Both of my grandparents along with millions of others lived throught the real Great Depression. All four retired quite comfortably and had risen from borderline poverty to solid middle class. And that was a real Depression, not some inevitable downturn.
Yeah and what if they happened to be born at a time when they hit 70 during the Great Depression. What you are talking about is luck. Being lucky to be born at a time that one can retire when the nation has a little cash.

As far as downturns and upturns not being permenant fixtures... Yes this is true. But some of us would like a little more solice to know that the country will be good when we are alive, are kids are alive, our grandkids etc. What comes up goes down and vice versa. But that doesn't me we will see the good times.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:39 PM

11,943 posts, read 17,446,426 times
Quote:
Yeah and what if they happened to be born at a time when they hit 70 during the Great Depression. What you are talking about is luck. Being lucky to be born at a time that one can retire when the nation has a little cash.
They would have looked back on 69 good years and counted their blessings. Besides, most people died around 65 then anway, so they would have been 5 years on borrowed time.

More seriously, my grandfathers both fought the war and then came home and made something of themselves through hard work. That's not luck.

And they certainly did not waste their time thinking of all the things that "could happen." A more self-pitying attitude is hard to imagine.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:49 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,695,137 times
Quote:
More seriously, my grandfathers both fought the war and then came home and made something of themselves through hard work. That's not luck.
Back then and even up into the 60's, hard work was a way of life. And it was looked at as just that, the way you lived.
No hard work, no roof over your head.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Back then and even up into the 60's, hard work was a way of life. And it was looked at as just that, the way you lived.
As opossed to now? Did I get my house and car by just sitting on my tail all day long? Seems rather unrealistic.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Well, maybe it was just my neck of the woods. I've mentioned on several threads that I was raised on a dairy farm. We grew and canned our own food and our income was selling milk to Kraft, and cutting trees for the forestry.
Most everyone we knew did the same except for working on the side for the forestry. I guess it could have been considered a Logging town.

Or is that considered hard work?

Old 11-30-2007, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Or is that considered hard work?
I would guess it is although I have never done it. What is your point?

Old 11-30-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
I would guess it is although I have never done it. What is your point?
No point was being made on the last sentence, I was just being sarcastic.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:00 AM

431 posts, read 1,975,421 times
Quote from Nirvana-guy:
"The reason: HIGH TAXES. They drove all the companies away to places like TN or FL or GA, where taxes are lower. In the case of factories, they have gone overseas, or to Mexico (thanks to Bill Clinton for NAFTA)."
This is true. Companies have moved South. However, the unemployment rate down in GA and FL is kind of skimpy too! (don't know about TN). In FL, a huge portion of the population was working in something related to construction or real estate and now that the bubble's popped, there aren't enough jobs to go around that pay a livable wage. GA is a notch up from FL, but it has been stated (in the Atlanta Journal Constitution) that around 80% of the jobs pay under $40K. From what i've seen, the jobs want a college degree and then you look at the pay rate and it's like $10-12/hr!! I think the I.T. market down here is good and a few other niche fields, but overall, the job market is not that wonderful in the South either. And they say the cost of living is cheaper in the South? Hardly. You about break even when you factor in the lower wages (compared to the North).
I'm not pro Republican or pro-Democrat. I'm for whoever will get the job done. All i know is that once upon a time (not that long ago), jobs were plentiful, salaries and raises were healthy and things were good. I don't know which way this country is headed but it's not looking very good right now. I just hope we've hit rock bottom so we can start getting back on track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies