U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-25-2013, 01:44 PM

7,624 posts, read 3,205,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Nothing. She happens to be a Republican, so some people feel compelled to defend her, although there is nothing to defend her from. She is not accused of doing anything wrong. She left her AR on the counter and someone stole it. That's it. This is a non-issue and reported only in some paper called "gawker" and some NC local papers.
Look at the title of this thread; it doesn't say "AR15 stolen from congresswoman's garage" it says "AR15 stolen from GOP congresswoman's garage" The original title for the article read "Unsecured AR15 stolen from pro-gun congresswoman's home"

I realize ignorance is bliss, but lets not pretend that political persuasion makes no difference here. It obviously mattered to the OP as he inserted "GOP" in to the title, and it obviously mattered to the author of the original article as he made sure his readers knew she was "pro-gun". Like chuck said, if it didn't, then we would never have heard about this story. It'd just be another theft among the thousands of other thefts that occur daily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 03:50 PM

5,384 posts, read 1,211,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I bet everything I own that if your house was burglarized and your insurance company decided to not honor your claim because your tv, iphone, and jewelry were not "properly secured" you'd blame Bush and the evil Koch brothers and Wall Street.

It was in their home. I've come home a hundred times and realized a window was left open or the door wasn't locked. That hardly gives some scumbag thief the right to steal my stuff.
No one has the right to steal your stuff.

But stuff gets stolen all the time. I have it on good authority from your precious NRA that, you know, criminals don't obey laws. Ergo ... stuff gets stolen all the time.

I also have it on good authority from the NRA that gun owners take their responsibilities seriously, knowing that guns are, you know, weapons when they're in the hands of criminals, the mentally ill and children.

But I suppose someone who sees no difference between a gun being used in a crime and, oh, say, a TV being used in a crime, is incapable of living up to those high standards set by the NRA.

Though I have heard of people being mugged by guys wielding scary diamond rings.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:14 PM

7,921 posts, read 1,901,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
No one has the right to steal your stuff.

But stuff gets stolen all the time. I have it on good authority from your precious NRA that, you know, criminals don't obey laws. Ergo ... stuff gets stolen all the time.

I also have it on good authority from the NRA that gun owners take their responsibilities seriously, knowing that guns are, you know, weapons when they're in the hands of criminals, the mentally ill and children.

But I suppose someone who sees no difference between a gun being used in a crime and, oh, say, a TV being used in a crime, is incapable of living up to those high standards set by the NRA.

Though I have heard of people being mugged by guys wielding scary diamond rings.

I suppose you realize that America's obsession with the couch and TV kills more every day than AR-15's do in a decade.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:16 AM

8,368 posts, read 1,707,095 times
Quote:
I suppose you realize that America's obsession with the couch and TV kills more every day than AR-15's do in a decade.
No way Jose'! No way.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:09 AM

Default AR-15 rifle stolen from GOP congresswoman's garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
No way Jose'! No way.
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lcod.htm

Yes way, Jose!

Obesity and heart disease are stone-cold killers. Sony and Samsung and LazyBoy manufacture assault televisions and assault furniture.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:24 AM

5,384 posts, read 1,211,544 times
Quote:
What a silly thing to say.

Seriously, how many crimes have been committed with TVs and couches?

You gun people say the craziest things to deflect attention from your complete lack of principles. "Gun owners are responsible." "We need to keep guns out of the hands of criminals." Or, "Never mind. We didn't mean any of it."

Old 10-26-2013, 07:30 AM

14,966 posts, read 5,183,599 times
Quote:

You gun people say the craziest things to deflect attention from your complete lack of principles. "Gun owners are responsible." "We need to keep guns out of the hands of criminals." Or, "Never mind. We didn't mean any of it."
All predicated on someone breaking in someones house.....

Yep, critical thinking does not work for you does it....

And the criminal is NOT at fault....only the homeowner because the homeowner left a gun unsecured in their house....

Yep talk about saying something stupid....

Old 10-26-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:

I'm not a gun person. The few I have are in a safe and seldom see daylight.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:46 AM

Default AR-15 rifle stolen from GOP congresswoman's garage

Quote:

Perfectly rational. If we are going to blame inanimate objects for the damage they inflict, there are plenty of objects that are far deadlier.

And most of them aren't under lock and key!

Last edited by TrapperJohn; 10-26-2013 at 09:03 AM..

Old 10-26-2013, 10:39 AM

2,233 posts, read 1,605,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Sorry folks, as a gun owner this is the reason there are too many guns out there. People who do not respect the responsibility of gun ownership should be held at fault.

Gun ownership is a const. right that needs to be protected. One of those protections is to keep your weapon secured.
Hey dirtbag who just broke into my home at 2 AM could you hold on just one moment, I need to get my gun out of my safe so I can shoot you.

My house, my gun. If I want it sitting on my table and loaded that is my choice. Their are only two people living in this home and they both can handle firearms just fine.

Now the part that really made me laugh is, "People who do not respect the responsibility of gun ownership should be held at fault".

Come on, do you really own a gun?

So if you are a criminal just steal the guns nothing else, you won't be at fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies