Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 08:33 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,388,426 times

Advertisements

My wife and I use to spend money on each other, but now that we have a little one, we don't spend much on each other (maybe about $40). That said, we will probably spend about $400-500 on xmas presents b/c of parents, siblings, nieces, friends, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 12:06 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,239,524 times
I have a fantastic excuse to "shop til I drop" this year - a brand new Great Grandson!

Look out Stores!!!!

Old 11-20-2007, 12:37 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,579,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
However, next year we are planning to stay in Knoxville and donate our time to local charity organizations and soup kitchens. I would like to buy the biggest turkey I can find and cook it up on a smoker for a shelter that is having trouble with meeting the demands. My wife thought it would be great if we not only donated our time to serving and helping out, but actually ate our holiday meals right there at the shelter instead of driving away to our own feast. It would give us a better appreciation for the hardships many deal with, and how our lives have been blessed so far and we should share our blessings with others because who knows? One day we may be the less fortunate ones.
Very thoughtful and we all should take heed to your last sentence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
My mom just passed away, and I'm not saying this for sympathy, but I am actually looking forward to spending my very first Thanksgiving alone...ever...I'm cooking a Turkey and all the trimmings and taking some of it, to some friends who are also alone...my sister is mortified that I want to be alone, and my other sister is mad at me...but she'll get over it....

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone....

wouldn't it be wonderful if we would all extend ourselves to others...over the holidays...instead of buying gifts and think we've done our deed?

Wouldn't that make a great movie....Christmas without gifts....I bet, the gifts would be indeed bountiful....if we sat down and had to figure out, what we could do for someone else that was nice, instead of just handing them a gift. Maybe inviting someone from a nursing home, who is alone this year to our homes....or maybe giving more to the salvation army or the visiting nurses of America...

Maybe cooking a turkey and making up sandwhiches and taking them to the city and leaving them on the street, with a sign, for free?????
Sorry for your loss. My uncle passed away in August. last Thanksgiving he came to visit with his wife and cooked us our very first fried turkey and it was our first time hosting a holiday dinner in our new home. We laughed, ate, reminisced the entire weekend. It's going to be rather lonesome without him, since he was our nearest family member (with the exception of 1 brother and 2 nieces) - all others are at least a thousand miles away. In any event we will reflect on the good, celebrate his memory, and be thankful that we have food to eat, decent health, and a roof over our heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I just wish people would stop seeing Christmas a shopping experience. There is so much waste in our world as it is and so many deprived and lonely people. Forfeiting some un-necessary stuff is hardly a hardship! It never ceases to amaze me that people are so incredibly greedy. Stuff we never knew we needed or wanted has now become "must haves". It's really sad. Conspicuous consumption is now the order of the day and what for ? Our little fads only last a few months generally and then , onto the next thing...
We completely forget what is truly important, such as love, friendship, health and happiness.
Love, Friendship, Health, Happiness and I'll add to that Appreciation & Compassion for those less fortunate.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:57 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,241,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my Grand-Mother ( who was like a Mother to me) so I know how you must be feeling. Grieving is a very personal thing and you are doing the right thing doing whatever is right for you.

Thanksgiving is about giving thanks and I am sure your friends will appreciate your kind sharing gesture.

Don't let family or anyone else dictate what to do or how to feel. You are you and as such unique, so only you knows what is best for you.

I am not Christian but I still love Christmas, I see it as period of reflection and a good time to get to terms with what life has thrown at you in the past 12 months.

I was born in December and this year will be 40 so even more of a reason to try and take stock !

I just wish people would stop seeing Christmas a shopping experience. There is so much waste in our world as it is and so many deprived and lonely people. Forfeiting some un-necessary stuff is hardly a hardship !

It never ceases to amaze me that people are so incredibly greedy. Stuff we never knew we needed or wanted has now become "must haves". It's really sad. Conspicuous consumption is now the order of the day and what for ? Our little fads only last a few months generally and then , onto the next thing...

We completely forget what is truly important, such as love, friendship, health and happiness.

I wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving !
Thanks so much...hugs and Happy Thanksgiving right backatcha...I am a December baby to...maybe it was something in the womb, think?

thanks so much to, for the condolances....I am very sorry to hear for your loss as well.

I am so thankful for my mom and who she was...I don't have a lot of friends, cuz I don't stand with the crowd...what is more important to me, is standing up for what you believe in, no matter who agrees or not...I'm not in this world to win a popularity test.

I remembered the one thing the minister said about my mom...."He didn't know her long, but knew what she said she meant. She did not mean to step on toes, but, she was brutally honest...." Without her I wouldn't be where I am today...she saved my life, literally...she was quit a woman...

anyway...hugs to ya...and thanks so much for your kindness.

Creme

Old 11-20-2007, 03:27 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,266,164 times
I got a wild holiday spirit feeling the other day and sent money to my favorite food pantry in the states, planned parenthood, doctors without borders and mercy corps. I couldn't afford to buy anything else now. Makes me very happy.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I got a wild holiday spirit feeling the other day and sent money to my favorite food pantry in the states, planned parenthood, doctors without borders and mercy corps. I couldn't afford to buy anything else now. Makes me very happy.
You only contribute to a food pantry once a year? Shame!

Old 11-21-2007, 04:59 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,266,164 times
Greatday, whoa, that's pretty rude. Why do you make assumptions about me? I mentioned that on one day recently I made some contributions.

What do you do that you so freely cast dispersion on donations by people you don't know.

Tell me, what do you donate, how often, and how much?

Last edited by chielgirl; 11-21-2007 at 05:18 AM..

Old 11-21-2007, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Tell me, what do you donate, how often, and how much?
At LEAST once a month - money AND personal time -

Old 11-21-2007, 07:19 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,241,750 times
Just wanted to come in and say, this is an awesome thread....and thanks to you all for your generosity during the Holidays

Happy Thanksgiving to you all

Many hugs
Creme

Old 11-21-2007, 07:19 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,385,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
At LEAST once a month - money AND personal time -
Good for you. But that's no excuse to disparage the contributions that others make, however infrequent that contribution may be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies