Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 06:06 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
He is technically right. The only natural satellite named the moon is the one which revolves around the Earth.

The natural satellites of other planets are not named the "moon." For example, a satellite of Saturn is named "Triton," not "moon."

Also, in 17 years of O'Reilly's show airing, that one thing you posted is all you can find?
Oh, give me a break. Jupiter has 67 confirmed moons, Saturn has multiple moons etc. They may be satellites, but they're still moons Or they may be called moons but they're still satellites.
You're just trying to excuse his idocy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 06:08 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slithytoves View Post
This thread was inspired by TheHurricaneKid's thread on good journalism.

We all complain about media, as Kid noted. But we all like news, so we probably all have at least one media news figure we tend to like and trust.

Who's yours, and why?

I like Fareed Zakaria and his GPS hour on CNN, Sunday mornings. I like his insights, the credibility of his guests, the depth of his coverage, the tone of the show, and his investment in global issues. He's just about the only TV journalist I genuinely respect these days. He has his opinions, but I tend to agree with him.

Moderator: Please don't move this to Entertainment. I'm trying to hear from the group that frequents this subforum.
Fareed Zakaria, plagiarist? How could you trust a guy who was caught in lies?
Fareed Zakaria: Another plagiarism scandal, another wrist slap - Gatekeeper - Boston.com

I would not really trust any of them. All information has to be filtered.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:08 PM

33,522 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Please list 10 or 20 examples of the facts "he doesn't care about."
No, I would be wasting my time, after all you worship the ground he walks on and would deny them anyway.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:09 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,366,177 times
Bill O'Reilly.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:14 PM

624 posts, read 939,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I like Krauthammer, Cavuto, and there was this one regional reporter....totally forget his name. He was doing a lot of good investigating and reporting during the 2012 elections....sorry, I just don't remember his name...he's not on the main stream cable news shows. Edit: Got it, Ben Swann.

As for O'Reilly, I used to watch him, but I had to stop. He NEVER let people talk, it was SO annoying. I don't have to agree with what the guest is saying, but dang, let them fricken answer the question!
That, to me, is the difference between a newsman and a celebrity. I find Bill O'Reilly so narcissistic. All he cares about is what HE has to say. There are folks on the Left like that, too, so I'm not making this distinction about him based on his views. It's the overbearing hubris of the guy that rankles me.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:18 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
Who I trust?............

Old 10-25-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Fareed Zakaria, plagiarist? How could you trust a guy who was caught in lies?
Fareed Zakaria: Another plagiarism scandal, another wrist slap - Gatekeeper - Boston.com

I would not really trust any of them. All information has to be filtered.
Did you read the bit that was singled out as plagiarism? It was minuscule, and not terribly consequential to the overall piece. He was not claiming another's work as his own in the sense you apparently think. Even a college student caught in an infraction that small wouldn't be penalized severely. Had the article been a song, it wouldn't have been enough for a successful lawsuit.

Nothing at all like a Jayson Blair situation.

It was right to temporarily suspend him on principle, and for Time to make a statement, but plenty of respected journalists spoke to his character and in his defense during the controversy.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
No wonder most of you are brainwashed and clueless. TV news is propaganda for who ever is pushing it. I gave up on it years ago.

You can get the truth with no agenda on the internet, It's easy to weed out the garbage but you can't be a die hard party member.
You're assuming that people who offered a name here don't get their news from any other sources....

Old 10-25-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Who I trust?............
I find Mickey Mouse to have too strong of a pro-rodent bias. Donald Duck is clearly a token he keeps around as defense against this charge, but I'm not fooled.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:36 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
stossell and cavuto, and shepard smith. and for talk shows, jerry doyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies