Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 05:11 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,933,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post

I don't give a fig about Hillary. Christie will beat her like a drum. I hope she gets the nomination. An old white lady who effed up Benghazi, the GOP pacs will have a field day with her.
I don't think so ... not because he isn't a smart guy, a savvy politician, and has many good things about him. I like him. Will the conservative and Tea Party base of the GOP ever forgive him for dropping the legal challenge to same-sex marriage in the Garden State? Don't think so. Voters in this country can be very shallow ... don't get me wrong because I don't agree with it ... but he'll never be president because he is fat. Very fat. People are prejudiced against obesity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 05:17 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,324,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I thought you guys hated Christie and that he was a RINO?

I'll be impressed if you actually nominate someone that has a chance of winning.
Nope, don't hate him, and I think he has a very good chance. He's not my conservative-of-choice but I don't have a conservative-of-choice and after Obama I'm sick of ideologues running the country. In fact my favorite thing about Christie was the thing that upset a lot of Republicans, and that was his embrace of Obama after Hurricane Sandy. He didn't give two hoots about Romney or the presidential elections, all he cared about was getting New Jersey back on it's feet. I was annoyed, but I couldn't help but admire him, and it shows he has a pragmatic streak and the ability to go beyond politics that will be good for this country.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:26 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,031,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Here's a little Halloween treat that will get our resident right-wingers all hot and bothered.
The Nazis murdered millions of Jews, yet Soros (a Jew) claimed "it was the happiest time of my life". From this perspective: It should be Clinton distancing herself from this self-loathing Nazi sympathizing murderer?

Old 10-24-2013, 05:27 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Nope, don't hate him, and I think he has a very good chance. He's not my conservative-of-choice but I don't have a conservative-of-choice and after Obama I'm sick of ideologues running the country. In fact my favorite thing about Christie was the thing that upset a lot of Republicans, and that was his embrace of Obama after Hurricane Sandy. He didn't give two hoots about Romney or the presidential elections, all he cared about was getting New Jersey back on it's feet. I was annoyed, but I couldn't help but admire him, and it shows he has a pragmatic streak and the ability to go beyond politics that will be good for this country.
Want to hear a shocker? I actually agree with you; and I think a lot of people do.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:33 PM

23,844 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
LOL and if you don't like Hillary or her policies "you are sexist".
I was JUST talking about that exact thing with my girlfriend last night.

Everyone who isn't a lock-step Obamabot is labeled a racist. It only makes sense that if Hillary is the next president, the left will use that same tactic (which worked fairly effectively) to discredit their political opponents as sexist.

What's interesting about that strategy is that it doesn't require that their position be sound at all - they don't have to argue the merits of their ideas. The ONLY reason you wouldn't argue that your ideas are the best ideas is if you know that your ideas suck. In that case, you change the focus of the discussion from your ideas to whatever you can use to make the opposition look bad. We've seen this time and time again, with virtually every political topic since Obama was elected.

Obama's and the Democrats' policies are just plain terrible, and it's evidenced by the fact that even they won't discuss them on their merits. They just throw labels against the proverbial wall to see what will stick. "Racist," "obstructionist," etc. It's never about whether or not their ideas are good - it's always been about what the other side is doing wrong.

And THAT is why I will never vote Democrat again. I'm not a Republican, either (registered Libertarian, thinking of switching to independent), but the Democrats have so disgusted me with their behavior over the last five years that there's no way I could ever support one again, or at least for the foreseeable future. I simply cannot demonstrate approval for the childish way they've acted since Obama began his run for the presidency. It's disgusting, and frankly, embarrassing.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:41 PM

23,844 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Won't matter. All a Dem needs for several cycles is the nomination. The election is a formality.
That's a bold prediction - would you care to place a wager on it?

"Several cycles" - is that 3? 4?

I propose that we each bet $10k on this, with the funds to be held in escrow. If we're looking at a possible 12-16 year wait, it's got to be worth our whiles, so $10k is an appropriate minimum.

How's this: If a Republican or 3rd party candidate is elected president before 2029, I win. If it's all Democrat presidents before 2029, you win.

What do you say? Can you put your money where your mouth is?

Old 10-24-2013, 06:49 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
So libs are for unlimited money in campaigns now?
why not. Koch Bros and tea party billionaires pay their shills to blog, and apparently they have unlimited resources, I've noticed.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:01 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
So libs are for unlimited money in campaigns now?

Right wingers should know our Billionaires are richer than your Billionairs

Old 10-24-2013, 09:21 PM

624 posts, read 939,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Sandwich View Post
I think the right made a big mistake of assuming that no one would re-elect a president whose economy was in the shape it was in. They seriously over-estimated the voting left's scruples, which was a mistake because the right did not have anything to fall back on. Romney wasn't the best safety net they could have picked... not by a long shot. But the left had a great safety net because the very thing that the right thought would win them the election was the reason many on the voting left needed Obama to stay in office. I mean, why would someone elect into office a president who would, as far as they knew, cut the spending they're now relying on because of their lost jobs and struggling economy?

The left is pretty smart. I will give them that.
It seems contradictory, but as long as things are in the gutter, there are more and more reasons for many people to not elect a party that wants to cut entitlements. In the end, the worse things are, the better off the left is in terms of securing votes.

(I'm not making an accusation, but merely a general observation)
Good observation.

Re the OP, I don't think Soros' support means much in what will likely be an election spending spree for the record books on both sides in 2016.

If the Right are going to fear anything about HC running, it should be HC running. To pull off a win, the GOP candidate is going to have to tread close to the middle with a long-term record of doing the same. I'm surprised at the number of Independents and moderate Republicans who have told me they will vote for Hillary if the GOP doesn't produce a moderate candidate to challenge her. The TP has left a lot of people with a bad taste in their mouths about the far-rightward course the GOP has been taking of late.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:23 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
That's a bold prediction - would you care to place a wager on it?

"Several cycles" - is that 3? 4?

I propose that we each bet $10k on this, with the funds to be held in escrow. If we're looking at a possible 12-16 year wait, it's got to be worth our whiles, so $10k is an appropriate minimum.

How's this: If a Republican or 3rd party candidate is elected president before 2029, I win. If it's all Democrat presidents before 2029, you win.

What do you say? Can you put your money where your mouth is?
I never bet on anything, but 4 seems quite safe. Its math. 19 states blue since 1988 plus demographically now blue VA & NM put Dems needing just 1 of 9 swing states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies