U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-25-2013, 04:34 AM

16,092 posts, read 9,500,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Do you have health insurance for you and your family?
I did, but canceled it on September 30, 2013. While the Affordable Health Care Act remains the law of the land, I will refuse to have any kind of health insurance coverage. Furthermore, I will not provide the IRS with any information concerning my health care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-25-2013, 04:35 AM

38 posts, read 11,009 times
Quote:
Im surprised you dont carry Health insurance? But I can see why paying a tax for not having heath care insurance is not big on your list of things to do.

But yes you dont have to sign up. ACA is a law which allows Americans access and choice to heath care insurance.

Before this law I had access and a choice on health care insurance. I didn't need the government to tell me I HAD to buy it. It was my CHOICE. Now we have no choice, we have to buy something mandated by the government, or face a penalty. That's not a choice.

Unread 10-25-2013, 04:55 AM

1,870 posts, read 1,642,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
No one will have to face them down. The IRS has already stated that they do not have the power to enforce collection of the fine or tax, whatever you want to call it.
Obamacare: Tax Or Penalty? Call It What You Want, But IRS Won't Be Able To Collect It - Forbes
I read the linked article, and I read the PDF that the article referenced. Nowhere does it say that the IRS has stated anything about their ability or non-ability to collect the Affordable Care Act penalty.

The PDF is a document authored by two law professors who do point out that the IRS is prohibited by the Affordable Care Act from placing liens on property or from filing a notice of lien for failure to pay the ACA penalty. It also noted that failure to pay the ACA penalty cannot be prosecuted by the IRS as a criminal act, leaving the IRS able to sue only via civil courts.

The professors do offer some scenarios wherein the IRS could collect the ACA penalty. Additionally, it's apparent to me that failure to pay the ACA penalty over several years will result in larger and larger taxes and penalties owed to the IRS. So if the IRS does manage to catch the scoff-law in a taxable event that exposes his assets, the IRS will be able to swoop in and claim those assets to satisfy the resultant accumulated ACA taxes and penalties.

Unread 10-25-2013, 05:06 AM

4,002 posts, read 6,004,607 times
Default I don' think that is possible...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
It's true. It'll be more costly when the fine grows. Like most folks that don't pay their taxes, the fine will grow, and you'll eventually pay your back taxes. They'll put a lien on your house.
If one owes the government fines, not income tax, then they cannot put a lien on anything. The law was clearly written that way to protect those who don't have an income (aka welfare recipients), or the poor. In their quest to be compassionate, the liberals screwed themselves on this one.

Unread 10-25-2013, 05:13 AM

13,863 posts, read 4,447,054 times
Quote:
Why would I need to report him? Im not following his incorrect advice. He isn't my lawyer.

What is incorrect?

Unread 10-25-2013, 05:14 AM

13,863 posts, read 4,447,054 times
Quote:
Im surprised you dont carry Health insurance? But I can see why paying a tax for not having heath care insurance is not big on your list of things to do.

But yes you dont have to sign up. ACA is a law which allows Americans access and choice to heath care insurance.
\

Except for ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.................... ....

30,000,000 people....

But who cares about facts, right?

Unread 10-25-2013, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I read the linked article, and I read the PDF that the article referenced. Nowhere does it say that the IRS has stated anything about their ability or non-ability to collect the Affordable Care Act penalty.

The PDF is a document authored by two law professors who do point out that the IRS is prohibited by the Affordable Care Act from placing liens on property or from filing a notice of lien for failure to pay the ACA penalty. It also noted that failure to pay the ACA penalty cannot be prosecuted by the IRS as a criminal act, leaving the IRS able to sue only via civil courts.

The professors do offer some scenarios wherein the IRS could collect the ACA penalty. Additionally, it's apparent to me that failure to pay the ACA penalty over several years will result in larger and larger taxes and penalties owed to the IRS. So if the IRS does manage to catch the scoff-law in a taxable event that exposes his assets, the IRS will be able to swoop in and claim those assets to satisfy the resultant accumulated ACA taxes and penalties.
I intend to put that to a test. I deliberately canceled my Blue Cross/Blue Shield coverage effective September 30, 2013. I refuse to obtain any kind of insurance whatsoever while the Affordable Health Care Act is law, and I can afford it. Furthermore, I will refuse to provide the IRS any information pertaining to my health insurance coverage.

I want the IRS to assess a penalty against me. It is the only way I can get standing with the courts. As soon as the IRS assesses a fine/tax/penalty against someone, without taking the matter before the courts (which they obviously will not do), then the Affordable Health Care Act of 2010 becomes a "bill of attainder", which the US Constitution specifically prohibits.

Unread 10-25-2013, 05:29 AM

12,843 posts, read 4,481,149 times
Default Old News

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
'Saw this link on Drudge, and it's from Rush.... according to his tax accountant, the IRS cannot garnish wages, issue a lien, take property, etc., to collect the fines for not having insurance. I suppose the law was written this way so as not to 'disturb' the people who can't afford it to begin with. The problem is, according to the code, is that they can only take the money if you are owed a tax refund. ?? Is this a loophole?

Opt-Out Obamacare Penalty Can't Be Enforced -- Unless You Get a Tax Refund - The Rush Limbaugh Show
This has been known almost since the beginning. I'm suprised you didn't know this. It has been discussed, and blogged about previously all over the Internet and on Cable News channels.

Unread 10-25-2013, 05:37 AM

12,843 posts, read 4,481,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Yes, you can cheat on your taxes... nothing new, not a loophole.
Most so-called "loopholes" aren't loop-holes at all, but were intentionally built in to the tax code. They are commonly called "deductions."

I suppose the DemoCrats that invented ObamaCare knew their scheme wouldn't "fly" if people found out that the government was going to have the ability to seize their property, bank accounts, etc. They were wise. Even they didn't want to start another revolution or a real Tea Party!

Unread 10-25-2013, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
This has been known almost since the beginning. I'm suprised you didn't know this. It has been discussed, and blogged about previously all over the Internet and on Cable News channels.
By "almost since the beginning" I presume you mean well after the Affordable Health Care Act of 2010 became law. Since not even the Congress critters who voted for it had time to read the law. I presume you did not mean to imply that anyone knew anything about the bill prior to it becoming law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies