U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 10:08 AM

6,760 posts, read 10,411,125 times

Advertisements

No, I was just looking for the good in other areas the UN has been hard at work.

Maybe George Bush REALLY thought Saddam had WMD's....No harm in overestimating a problem and using alarmism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 10:11 AM

19,556 posts, read 19,266,232 times
I am constantly UNsurprised by UN lies.

I find it hard to believe people still think it a worthwhile organisation.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:13 AM

2,923 posts, read 4,567,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
If anyone reads this story and decides as you suggest, then your strawmen will have come to life and you can pretend to be Mickey in the Sorcerer's Apprentice: http://cache.eb.com/eb/image?id=61159&rendTypeId=4 (broken link)

What most folks will do is lose even more respect for international efforts to combat this dread disease -- and the blame for that lies squarely on the UN's army of disinformationists and bloated bureaucrats.
I'm not saying that the UN should have overestimated, I just think it's funny that you guys are treating it like some horrible sin that further demonstrates the evil of the UN. And how many people are going to read this news article? How many of those will call for decreased AIDS funding as a result of reading it? Probably not many, and they probably won't get their way, either, especially since the group is apparently honest enough to admit mistakes when they make them.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:13 AM

3,858 posts, read 8,349,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I am constantly UNsurprised by UN lies. I find it hard to believe people still think it a worthwhile organisation.
Since the U.N. doesn't actually DO anything, what are so many people concerned about what it DOES? Does anyone see the contradiction there? Its kind of like those so-called "black helicopters" that were supposedly watching the skies in the '90s.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:14 AM

2,923 posts, read 4,567,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
No, I was just looking for the good in other areas the UN has been hard at work.

Maybe George Bush REALLY thought Saddam had WMD's....No harm in overestimating a problem and using alarmism.
I'd say there isn't much moral equivalence between deliberately misinterpreting data to build up a case for a devastating war and (possibly unintentionally, or possibly deliberately) misinterpreting data to build up support for fighting a massive epidemic, but that's just me.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:22 AM

6,760 posts, read 10,411,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
I'd say there isn't much moral equivalence between deliberately misinterpreting data to build up a case for a devastating war and (possibly unintentionally, or possibly deliberately) misinterpreting data to build up support for fighting a massive epidemic, but that's just me.
Who said I was looking for moral equivalence?

Truth is more of the issue. Coming clean after years of critics disputing UN claims is not exactly what I would call "apparently honest enough to admit mistakes".

Old 11-20-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Since the U.N. doesn't actually DO anything, what are so many people concerned about what it DOES? Does anyone see the contradiction there? Its kind of like those so-called "black helicopters" that were supposedly watching the skies in the '90s.
Because certain people want to give more power to the UN and the UN is looking into establishing it's own army.

Already the UN has gone against it's own charter and has become involved in the domestic matters of sovereign nations.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:35 AM

3,858 posts, read 8,349,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Because certain people want to give more power to the UN and the UN is looking into establishing it's own army.
Well, as my grandfather used to say, "You can wish in one hand and s--- in the other and see which one fills up first." Don't hold your breath. The U.N. is afraid of its own shadow, can't get out of its own way, and isn't even supported by its member nations. They can't even afford to fix their own building for crissakes! Enough with the fear mongering in an attempt to push an agenda. The U.N. is like a lame horse that's been put out to pasture to die, and it will sooner or later.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Well, as my grandfather used to say, "You can wish in one hand and s--- in the other and see which one fills up first." Don't hold your breath. The U.N. is afraid of its own shadow, can't get out of its own way, and isn't even supported by its member nations. They can't even afford to fix their own building for crissakes! Enough with the fear mongering in an attempt to push an agenda. The U.N. is like a lame horse that's been put out to pasture to die, and it will sooner or later.
We shall see I guess.

People in this nation are losing sight of what it is to be a US citizen and some wish for nothing more than the loss of US sovereignty....

I frequented several forums where some saw themselves as 'global citizens' and that to me is frightening.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:11 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,447,931 times
Wha—? You gotta be kidding!! You mean the UN, that bastion of moral truth and human goodness, actually fabricated numbers and promoted global panic about something that wasn't as bad as it seemed?!?!

Why I'm shocked...SHOCKED!

</sarcasm>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies