Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 11:54 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
Why can you not help them? Better question would be: How can you help them? And what's the anti-constitutional crapola, what are you yapping about? And who is "they"? The recruiters? They, the recruiters, are just doing their jobs, man.

I agree with all the others herein, including you, sir. I never got a reenlistment bonus in 20+ years, but I didn't go to war, either. I'll support the rep on his bill, I'll contact my reps round here. I'm a veteran, as well.

sorry, the "anti-constitutional" crapola was a tie in to another thread.

Yes, doing their jobs, like used car salesmen. But no, I was not referring specifically to the recruiters. I understand they have a job to do, as unsavory as that may be in these times. I was referring to the greater military bureacracy that treats human beings like garbage. And I was referring to a government that allows our vets to be treated like garbage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 11:54 AM

397 posts, read 264,402 times
why arent the oil and defense companies who have made billions of dollars off of this war being taxed more to help support these soldiers

Old 11-20-2007, 12:21 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
sorry, the "anti-constitutional" crapola was a tie in to another thread.

Yes, doing their jobs, like used car salesmen. But no, I was not referring specifically to the recruiters. I understand they have a job to do, as unsavory as that may be in these times. I was referring to the greater military bureacracy that treats human beings like garbage. And I was referring to a government that allows our vets to be treated like garbage.
Oh, okay on the first statement.

However, using a statement like "the greater military bureaucracy" means, what? I don't understand your statement, either, that tgmb "treats human beings like garbage". Did you go through boot camp, sir? Do you know why there is even a boot camp? The main and basic focal point for boot camp is to tear down an already somewhat "structured" lifestyle and reform it to a military lifestyle, so that each soldier/sailor/airman/marine will cover his buddy's back and vice versa.

"A government that allows our vets to be treated like garbage." Could you, would you please clarify that statement? Any VA hospital I've ever been in treats the vets better in most cases than the military.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hey guys, I googled for this because it sounded a little odd.

Yes, this did happen with some guys but apparently this is not supposed to be happening and the policy is no longer in force.
Could you/would you elaborate on this a bit, sir? I'm interested.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:34 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,866 times
Quote:

However, using a statement like "the greater military bureaucracy" means, what? I don't understand your statement, either, that tgmb "treats human beings like garbage". Did you go through boot camp, sir? Do you know why there is even a boot camp? The main and basic focal point for boot camp is to tear down an already somewhat "structured" lifestyle and reform it to a military lifestyle, so that each soldier/sailor/airman/marine will cover his buddy's back and vice versa.

"A government that allows our vets to be treated like garbage." Could you, would you please clarify that statement? Any VA hospital I've ever been in treats the vets better in most cases than the military.
You can see the link at the beginning of this thread for starters.

According to military mental health experts,
if current trends continue, over 75 percent of
Soldiers and Marines in Iraq will be in a situation
where they could be seriously injured or killed.
Nearly two-thirds of them will know someone
seriously injured or killed.7 Thirty percent of
Soldiers and Marines in high combat situations
(those who spend over 56 percent of their time
off base8) will develop a mental health problem,
such as depression or post-traumatic stress
disorder (PTSD)9 ; for members of the National
Guard, the rate rises to 49 percent.10
A crisis in the DoD mental health treatment
system compounds these problems. Given the
lack of qualified mental health practitioners, the
high rates of mental health problems among
returning troops, and the effects of stigma within
the military, the DoD Task Force on Mental
Health has stated: “The psychological health
needs of service members, their families and
their survivors are daunting and growing.â€11
The shameful situation is obvious once service
members return home since most military mental
health professionals are deployed overseas. In
other words, after service members come home,
the time when many mental health wounds are
manifested, wounded service members have
few professionals available for them to turn to for
professional assistance.

http://www.veteransforamerica.org/wp...nds-report.pdf

Old 11-20-2007, 12:36 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,108 times
Quote:

You are right about the VA, in my opinion they do pretty well given that for
the last 19 years Congress approves their budget either late or piecemeal.
How can you plan effective health care when you don't know when and how much money you will get for staffing, supplies etc. until the last minute.
Congress has ignored pleas of the DAV and other vet groups to authorize automatic budget payments to the VA because they don't want to short
any of their pet projects like the $1 million Woodstock Memorial Grant. They
don't believe we are watching them but we are and we just need to let
them know it at the ballot box. And I am a fellow vet.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:24 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,876 times
Quote:
I realize that you were not addressing me but it is also why I added the part at the end making reference to location. I have no doubts that there are some really good VA hospitals and facilities around the country but there are also some pretty horrid ones as well. One of the ones that comes to mind is the VA in Tampa, Florida which has been plagued by corruption, theft, cronysim, and mismanagement for years at the expense of its treatment of veterans. In the case of the VA in Tampa, it is very well documented and the last I heard was that changes were in order but most vets were still waiting.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I realize that you were not addressing me but it is also why I added the part at the end making reference to location. I have no doubts that there are some really good VA hospitals and facilities around the country but there are also some pretty horrid ones as well. One of the ones that comes to mind is the VA in Tampa, Florida which has been plagued by corruption, theft, cronysim, and mismanagement for years at the expense of its treatment of veterans. In the case of the VA in Tampa, it is very well documented and the last I heard was that changes were in order but most vets were still waiting.
I'm reading at the moment your link, and also the pdf link. I've heard a lot about Tampa, yes. My apologies if I've offended anyone.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:02 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,876 times
Quote:
I'm reading at the moment your link, and also the pdf link. I've heard a lot about Tampa, yes. My apologies if I've offended anyone.
No offense taken, heck, I am very rarely offended by anything.

I recall the hospital itself was not too bad but the off site facilities were God awful and the former director was indicted on a plethora of various corruption related charges.

I figure that regardless of peoples political views or what they think of the war, those who go and fight these wars should never have to worry about how they will be cared for when it is all said and done. It is the one aspect of government spending I have no qualms with and will share the last dollar to my name to do so.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:43 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Could you/would you elaborate on this a bit, sir? I'm interested.
There were several articles I found on this topic when I googled this. I would recommend you doing the same as this kinda screams internet hoax. (It isnt but it is a little bit of garbage journalism)

Basically, one was an article from 3 years ago that read the exact same way as this article so this is not a new finding. I then saw an article where a general said this was a mistake and that the soldiers wouldn't have to actually pay. I also saw an article talking about the GAO giving examples of screw ups like declaring someone dead or awol who wasnt that screwed up their credit etc etc etc.

So, in short....I don't think we are really getting the full story on some of these. Yes, it's outrageous but it seems to be that the end result is that this guy won't actually have to pay it back once things get sorted out.

This article reminds me of news stories where a little old lady on social security gets a $300,000 water bill because they read her meter wrong. Yes, she got a bill....but no.....she shouldn't have....and it will get sorted out.

Does this answer your question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies