U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 10:01 AM

11,127 posts, read 12,678,243 times

Advertisements

There you are, a young person just graduating high school and you are scoping out the job prospects and it looks a little bleak. Just then it dawns on you, join the Army! Yeah, thats it, I can serve my country, score a few bucks for college when I get out and I will get a jump on the rest of my life.

Bummer of this is that next year about this time you are in a hospital bed with your legs blown off or a piece of 80's era Soviet technological scrap in your forehead and you no longer remember what your mom looks like. Just then you get a letter from Uncle Sam and you think to yourself, they must be giving me kudo's for helping my brother soldiers and my county out... but not so. It is good ole Uncle Sam letting you know that since you didn't complete your tour they want their signing bonus back, sucks for you bro now cough it up.

While these people are probably falling into some technicality over completing a tour, but I so very much disagree with it. Now had they slid out of their commitment for some other reason than losing body parts or getting wounded in action, then by all means, get the cash back but geeeeez louise.

So the next time Bush stands in front of a crowd of our finest young folks who are putting their life and limb on the line for whatever reason and this man ask us to support the troops, just remember that we must because President Bush isn't going to do it, Uncle Sam will try and find a way not to do it and all these veterans have left is the prospect of maybe you will be lucky enough to get a good VA or maybe not, all depends on where you live.

Talk about the ultimate "Up Yours" to our service people...sad.

kdka.com - Military Asks Wounded Soldiers To Return Portions Of Signing Bonuses (http://kdka.com/kdkainvestigators/military.signing.bonuses.2.571660.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 10:05 AM

3,858 posts, read 8,374,024 times
That's the most horrifying thing I've ever read.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:10 AM

4,740 posts, read 8,798,916 times
TnHilltopper - be sure to follow up on this and report back when this gets straightened out...

Old 11-20-2007, 10:19 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,228,329 times
This is most RIDICULOUS shoot I have heard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-20-2007, 10:27 AM

1,393 posts, read 2,535,833 times
WOW.........Damn........

Old 11-20-2007, 10:35 AM

2,770 posts, read 5,357,012 times
Default Disgusting on every level

I am without words...and beyond disgusted. I swear to my life, if I was in the hospital with one of the wounded soldiers and some Big Army representative said something to that effect I just might hurt him on the spot.

How much can you ask from someone? At what point is enough enough? How much more does the Pentagon think their troops can take. First they took away longer breaks/R&R between deployments. Then they extend deployments. Then they get mad at troops seeking treatment for post-traumatic stress when their own facilities are undeniably ill-fit to provide the service...and now this?!

This is how mutinies start

Old 11-20-2007, 10:37 AM

3,861 posts, read 7,596,873 times
This is appalling!!!!! I'm speechless! WOW!

Old 11-20-2007, 10:40 AM

3,858 posts, read 8,374,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
I am without words...and beyond disgusted. I swear to my life, if I was in the hospital with one of the wounded soldiers and some Big Army representative said something to that effect I just might hurt him on the spot.
Ok, I think now I can justify use of deadly force beyond a threat to my own life. Colonel David Hackworth is spinning in his grave. For those of you who don't know him, "Hack" was the most decorated enlisted man in history and was a straight talking, no-nonsense soldier who was never afraid to expose the misdeeds of the "five-sided-funny-farm" against its own grunts. Hack wrote a couple of great books about how the top brass continually sells out our troops and values bean counters and pencil pushers over blood and guts soldiers. We lost him recently, but I can only imagine what he'd be saying if he were here now.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:46 AM

2,770 posts, read 5,357,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Ok, I think now I can justify use of deadly force beyond a threat to my own life. Colonel David Hackworth is spinning in his grave. For those of you who don't know him, "Hack" was the most decorated enlisted man in history and was a straight talking, no-nonsense soldier who was never afraid to expose the misdeeds of the "five-sided-funny-farm" against its own grunts. Hack wrote a couple of great books about how the top brass continually sells out our troops and values bean counters and pencil pushers over blood and guts soldiers. We lost him recently, but I can only imagine what he'd be saying if he were here now.
I don't know how this was ever allowed to happen. I wish I could do...something

Old 11-20-2007, 10:46 AM

11,127 posts, read 12,678,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Colonel David Hackworth is spinning in his grave.
Yes he is and I have some of his stuff on the shelf, great read. I think his wife still operates his old website and carries on his efforts on behalf of soldiers to this day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies