Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 11:26 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,835,363 times

Advertisements

When someone blames corporations for all sorts of problems, I have to laugh a little. Who owns corporations? Stockholders own them. Who are the stockholders? Your average Joe. If you own any stock, do you want it to decline in value? Of course not. So, you and the numerous other shareholders are who the evil CEO answers to when decisions are made. Companies want the best person for a position and are willing to pay it. As stockholders you want the best. Other companies want the best. Hello, bidding war and the massive salary.

When labor costs rise, prices rise as well. When prices rise too much, sales drop. When sales drop, stock loses value. And so on. Its a vicious cycle.

Before you complain about corporations, you might wind to figure out if you're a stockholder. How are your retirement dollars invested?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 11:39 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
I'm laughing out loud at all the silly little people whining whilst typing on their "Made In China" keyboards.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:48 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I'm laughing out loud at all the silly little people whining whilst typing on their "Made In China" keyboards.
This is what makes you laugh out loud lol How easily you are entertained then. I think you need to get out more

Old 10-27-2013, 12:25 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,931,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
When someone blames corporations for all sorts of problems, I have to laugh a little. Who owns corporations? Stockholders own them. Who are the stockholders? Your average Joe. If you own any stock, do you want it to decline in value? Of course not. So, you and the numerous other shareholders are who the evil CEO answers to when decisions are made. Companies want the best person for a position and are willing to pay it. As stockholders you want the best. Other companies want the best. Hello, bidding war and the massive salary.

When labor costs rise, prices rise as well. When prices rise too much, sales drop. When sales drop, stock loses value. And so on. Its a vicious cycle.

Before you complain about corporations, you might wind to figure out if you're a stockholder. How are your retirement dollars invested?
The govt is the largest shareholder of most public corps. Just go look at the accounting. They use proxy voting through corporate governance. Avg Joe paid for it, of course. This is a major conflict imo.

And yes they're interested in profits. That doesn't mean people shouldn't question the system.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:34 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
But at the time people thought that cheap products were better, right?

American products would be cheaper if the dollar were stronger.

Key to the robust Reagan recovery was a strong US dollar made possible by in increase in interest rates relative to inflation.

Without increased consumer buying power made possible by a strong dollar, the economy will continue to falter with stagnant wages and high unemployment.

This is not an accident.

A poor economy benefits big spending Democrats and big compromising Republicans who rescue low-information voters from the economic malaise they created with policies that contribute to stagnation and increase dependency on government.

For all the failures of the New Deal programs, failing to make otherwise hard working independent citizens desperately dependent on government wasn't one of them.

Today's Democrats and RINO Republicans understand that FDR had to die in office to lose the presidency, and this not because his economic programs succeeded, but rather because they failed so badly.

Look forward to continued free trade with third world nations, near zero interest rates and monetizing of government debt because only by breaking the economy can Washington save us from it.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:56 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
But wait. We were promised Hope and Change. Are y'all saying we were lied to?
Senate GOP blocks veterans jobs bill - CBS News

Senate Republicans block Obama's jobs package - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

GOP Senators Reject Tax Cuts for Middle Class - CBS News

Senate GOP kills $60B Obama infrastructure plan

Senate Republicans block DISCLOSE Act for second straight day - CNN.com

Old 10-27-2013, 04:19 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
American Companies are now rethinking off shorting production.. The enviorement in China has changed , remember they are a Comunist country that is trying to deal with its own people climbing the corporate ladder.China is nationalizing almost all the over seas industry that once was so welcome in their Country. Much of the demand for products is now coming from within the country as more and more people are able to afford products they make. Other reasons for the return to our shores of American business it the climbing transportation cost. Business / industry is booming in the US now . There is a demand for machinery to make products in the US, it's been going on for two years at lest, I know , that's my business.

We also have a shortage of skilled workers , to run these machines , which most are made overseas.I do not see that changing for a while. You need to check reality, it's not (" mostly " liberals" ) that have anything to do with Corporate decisions. I get tired of the right , like you , trying to blame all the ills on Liberal Politics. You are so wrong on that statement it's scary.
Good. It would be nice for some more manufacturing here.

And I'm not on the right. I'm an anarchist. It is clearly the Left that supports higher taxes and more regulation that drives companies out of business/overseas or prevents new companies from forming. There is no question the Left is way worse on this than the Right. Anyone that thinks differently is delusional.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:57 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
It doesn't make sense to me that people want to give charity money to people overseas, but don't want to give jobs to these people. Poor foreign people don't want your Christian missionary lets build them house trips, they want a good job. Give them good jobs! It's the best way to provide upward mobility for poverty world wide. And it's better in the long run economically for both trading partners.
Forgive me for being radical, but I believe charity begins at home. Let's help our own jobless before foreigners. And some companies used to feel that way. Wal-mart, for example, used to have a Buy American policy. Probably ended once Sam Walton died.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:33 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
They are in business to make money, overseas workers accepted the wages, and customers were happy to buy cheaper products.

So why are people unhappy with the consequences (less jobs/wages, worse products) that anyone could have seen coming?
Isn't it amazing how American corporations who import their products really suck up to American buyers of their products with their expensive TV commercials.
Sell to Americans is good for business. Pay Americans to manufacture your products is bad for business.

What really pisses me is that even the big name retailers are selling foreign made stuff. You expect it from Wallmart and Target but even so called high end retailers are selling foreign made textiles.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:39 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,931,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Forgive me for being radical, but I believe charity begins at home. Let's help our own jobless before foreigners. And some companies used to feel that way. Wal-mart, for example, used to have a Buy American policy. Probably ended once Sam Walton died.
That is because Wal-mart is shareholder controlled by govt. The same people who sent the jobs overseas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies