Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 08:24 AM

673 posts, read 2,712,711 times

Advertisements

This thread is based on erroneous entitlement. No one in the US is obligated to offer jobs - period. On the other hand, everyone in the US has the right to offer jobs. Would you want to be told who to hire? Of course not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 08:27 AM
bUU

12,077 posts, read 10,670,902 times
Your comment is based on erroneous entitlement. The right to capitalize on the commercial economy and especially the labor economy is, like most rights, rightfully limited. There is nothing to precludes that limitation including what you claimed could not exist, the obligation to offer jobs a specific way.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:42 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,899,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Good. It would be nice for some more manufacturing here.

And I'm not on the right. I'm an anarchist. It is clearly the Left that supports higher taxes and more regulation that drives companies out of business/overseas or prevents new companies from forming. There is no question the Left is way worse on this than the Right. Anyone that thinks differently is delusional.
Its interesting you blame the Liberals affecting business so much. Actually , regulation was at its high mark in the 60-70s. It was the liberals that were pushing for deregulation at the same time Regan was pushing the trickle down economy thing by pushing the deregulation button, an odd comparison but true.

Many of us that grew up under heavily regulated worlds had mixed feelings about what was going on. I, as a Liberal was all for some parts of deregulation , mainly the open entry part, but still wanted to see some uniformity in the business climate. For years I tried to fight " city Hall " on the issues of open entry. I had the desire, the knowledge,the drive, to want in the door but was blocked at the federal court hearing level every time by the lobby interest of the Companies who wanted it all for themselves, a private club. They were devastated when in 1980 Deregulation came full circle. Many things I was doing before were illegal , now under open entry i could do anything I wanted to grow and expand my business. The certificates of conveyance that were being held as assists by the large companies now became worthless. It was the last straw for many old , once protected , heavy aging Union shops...so many went out of business or were bought out. The effects remain today, many do not know the way things used to be , from the Airlines, the trucking industry , the Banking interest , international trade The communications monopolies, . Back then the Liberals were being blamed for wanting some deregulation with some regulation while the Conservatives wanted things to return like it used to be. They wanted their cake and to eat it too...which they did. Now today , the remains have soured the soup and put us into a deep recession because of the lack of regulation (enforcing the laws that were there as well).

So , here we are today. Regulation is a good thing, we need a level playing field. we need to protect small business from corporate giants more than ever.....Its starting all over again.......reminds me so much as it was in 1935....and I was not born anywhere close to those years during the great depression.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:07 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,508,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Its interesting you blame the Liberals affecting business so much. Actually , regulation was at its high mark in the 60-70s. It was the liberals that were pushing for deregulation at the same time Regan was pushing the trickle down economy thing by pushing the deregulation button, an odd comparison but true.

Many of us that grew up under heavily regulated worlds had mixed feelings about what was going on. I, as a Liberal was all for some parts of deregulation , mainly the open entry part, but still wanted to see some uniformity in the business climate. For years I tried to fight " city Hall " on the issues of open entry. I had the desire, the knowledge,the drive, to want in the door but was blocked at the federal court hearing level every time by the lobby interest of the Companies who wanted it all for themselves, a private club. They were devastated when in 1980 Deregulation came full circle. Many things I was doing before were illegal , now under open entry i could do anything I wanted to grow and expand my business. The certificates of conveyance that were being held as assists by the large companies now became worthless. It was the last straw for many old , once protected , heavy aging Union shops...so many went out of business or were bought out. The effects remain today, many do not know the way things used to be , from the Airlines, the trucking industry , the Banking interest , international trade The communications monopolies, . Back then the Liberals were being blamed for wanting some deregulation with some regulation while the Conservatives wanted things to return like it used to be. They wanted their cake and to eat it too...which they did. Now today , the remains have soured the soup and put us into a deep recession because of the lack of regulation (enforcing the laws that were there as well).

So , here we are today. Regulation is a good thing, we need a level playing field. we need to protect small business from corporate giants more than ever.....Its starting all over again.......reminds me so much as it was in 1935....and I was not born anywhere close to those years during the great depression.
Yeah, all regulation does is cost a company money. The larger the company the more easily they can absorb that cost. The small businessman can't and is prevented from expanding or never begins a business in the first place.

Why do you think that big business often lobbies Congress for more regulations.

If you want to help big business gain market share then go ahead and support regulation. It doesn't lead to a level playing field. It leads to more wealth for the wealthy.

Last edited by OhioRules; 10-27-2013 at 09:19 AM..

Old 10-27-2013, 09:11 AM

13,513 posts, read 19,225,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
right blama the greedy corporations that want to provide products and services to people at reasonable prices and still make a profit to stay in business. yeah thats the ticket.

ahh but you forget that it is the small and medium sized businesses that are the job creators in this country. kill them and you kill jobs. and large multi national corporations are just that, multi national. they have to deal with laws and regulations in many countries, not just the US. so they are going to do what is best for the company, and if that means putting production in one country, to sell products in another, then so be it. they will also move their corporate headquarters where they get the best business environment as well. if small and medium sized businesses could do that, they would also.

as i said before, business is there to make money, nothing else. they do it by selling a product or service that the people want. if they need help to sell those products or services, then they will hire people to do the job as needed. you cant force a business to hire people if they dont want to. you can try to encourage it, but you cant force it.

as for the government, yes they are there to protect the people, BUT they do have to be careful not to go too far one way or the other. regulations have to be balanced between what is good for business, the people and the environment. when the government goes too far one way or another, it hurts everybody.
Yes, that's right, I DO blame the greedy corporations......them, and the government that allows them to ship the jobs oversea and then import inferior products, cheaper yes, but only because the labour costs are so low. That`s exploitation far as I`m concerned, and an obvious disregard for workers here, who could be doing the job and feeding their families..You`re right, no-one can force a business to hire workers from their own home country,. that's why the Gov needs to bring back a tariff, so that there'd be no reason not to. If that causes them to go under, so be it.
The Gov HAS already gone "too far one way"...look at the amount of people on welfare, look at the number of people just want jobs?..you don't think they matter?, or count?..what would change for the "small and medium" sized business's? if tariffs were brought back.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
what would change for the "small and medium" sized business's? if tariffs were brought back.
They would go out of business. For an example of this look up October of 1929. Once Wall Street learned that tariffs were going to pass the next spring the stock market crashed. Businesses realized with tariffs that it would be almost impossible to buy and sell goods from overseas.

That Depression only lasted until 1946.

You'd think the American people would realize that state and economy should be separate.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
. Now today , the remains have soured the soup and put us into a deep recession because of the lack of regulation (enforcing the laws that were there as well).
Since 1995 the federal government has passed over 65,000 new laws and regulations. There were over 100 regulatory agencies monitoring Wall Street when the crash hit in 2007.

Wanna tell me again about this "deregulation" LMFAO.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:23 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,499,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Liberals have done a good job shifting blames, haven't they?

Let me see where I should start. Hmmm....

1. Minimum wage law. A feel good law that arbitrarily raise labor cost for employers. If I were an employer, I would move my business somewhere else too and you can keep your minimum wage. Plenty people in the world are happy about $1/day.

2. Corporate tax. In case you don't know, there's trillions of dollars that employers earned oversea but refuse to invest in USA because the moment they declare that's their income, they will be taxed heavily. Imagine if we just give them a tax break.

3. Windfall tax. Nice! Because the employer made a smart move and made a lot of money, now the government wants a big bite of it just because?

4. Do I need to mention the ill-conceived and ill-implemented ACA?

You know what, the corporations have decided to let the liberals keep their liberal ideals and continue to screw themselves and their supporters and they are moving their business elsewhere.

I actually forgot to mention the amnesty. That is just adding a bunch of poor people into the current pool of the poor, pushing both the country further into bankruptcy and the poor even poor.

Go thank those Democrats and those who voted for them.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:27 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,499,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Yes, that's right, I DO blame the greedy corporations......them, and the government that allows them to ship the jobs oversea and then import inferior products, cheaper yes, but only because the labour costs are so low. That`s exploitation far as I`m concerned, and an obvious disregard for workers here, who could be doing the job and feeding their families..You`re right, no-one can force a business to hire workers from their own home country,. that's why the Gov needs to bring back a tariff, so that there'd be no reason not to. If that causes them to go under, so be it.
The Gov HAS already gone "too far one way"...look at the amount of people on welfare, look at the number of people just want jobs?..you don't think they matter?, or count?..what would change for the "small and medium" sized business's? if tariffs were brought back.

What the @$@#@!%??? Don't we all have certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness? Are you telling me that the government should take these rights away so that I can't even work or do business overseas???

What kind of freedom is that?

Old 10-27-2013, 09:28 AM

72,847 posts, read 62,291,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
They are in business to make money, overseas workers accepted the wages, and customers were happy to buy cheaper products.

So why are people unhappy with the consequences (less jobs/wages, worse products) that anyone could have seen coming?
I am angry because it means fewer jobs for people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies