Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 03:08 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,041,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
I think perhaps you need some sleep.

Instead of using the word "I" or "I've" to describe yourself in the sentences your writing, you are using the word "Harrier" instead. I do similar things when I am tired.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question,
Chad.
He's a copycat. "KevMaster" was known in the 90s for talking about himself in third person. It was unique back then. Now it's just the signs of a copycat follower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 03:09 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,219,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
Precisely, how did the Democrats, by virtue of controlling both houses of Congress (with a Republican President and without a veto-proof super-majority) cause the recession?
Cause, cause, cause it's all liburuls faults! according to the book of H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
He's a copycat. "KevMaster" was known in the 90s for talking about himself in third person. It was unique back then. Now it's just the signs of a copycat follower.
NoJiveMan thinks you're probably right about that.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:23 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,631,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
You talked me into it, patch. I'll be joining you! You bring the blender, I'll bring the cocoanuts. We'll both go bum the booze.
Wait for me.......I'll use my SNAP card to buy the whiskey!lol

Old 10-29-2013, 06:27 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,631,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Wrong.

President Bush warned Congress multiple times that the housing bubble would burst, and that entirely Democrat controlled Congress not only ignored the president's warnings, but summarily dismissed his proposals to stave off the crisis, and actively encouraged the CRA implementation.

The blame for the resulting recession falls squarely in the laps of the Democrats in Congress, whom Barack Obama was a member.

Here is more of Harrier's previous expounding upon the Democrat caused recession.
Exactly. Dems seem to have missed that important factoid. Barney Frank, Chrissy Dodd, and Barney's boy toy, Franklin Raines, caused the housing bubble to vomit all over itself.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:58 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,178,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Exactly. Dems seem to have missed that important factoid. Barney Frank, Chrissy Dodd, and Barney's boy toy, Franklin Raines, caused the housing bubble to vomit all over itself.

Actually, that's not what happened.

What happened is this:

Financial services companies packaged sub-prime mortgages that they purchased from lenders into CDO's, got the ratings companies (that are paid by the financial services companies, because you know, capitalism does a fantastic job of regulating itself) to give them AAA ratings (a CDO made up entirely of BBB mortgages would get a AAA rating by one of the three major ratings agencies) and then sold them. The fact that financial service companies wanted to buy them made it hugely profitable for lenders to put people into sub-prime loans.

And then in 2005, standardized credit default swaps (CDS--basically an insurance policy against a specific asset) were created. And that was like dumping gasoline on the fire. CDSs made it possible for investors and financial services companies to bet against the AAA-rated CDOs. Demand for sub-prime mortgages soared as investors now had a vested interest in seeing as many sub-prime mortgages as possible fail. Lenders no longer carried the risk of default for the mortgages (they were selling them to the financial service companies) and were making a profit, so they made bad loans like bad loans were Cabbage Patch Kids and it was 1983. The financial service companies sold the CDOs to investors and to public/private entities like pension funds groups (that by law, could only invest in AAA rated bonds, and btw, those groups got crushed when the bottom fell out). And then the financial service companies bet against the CDOs produced by other financial service companies (and they all knew that the other companies were doing this). This process created an exposure of the sub-prime mortgages that was roughly six times their actual value.

And then guess what happened? The bottom fell out. The people that were put into sub-prime loans couldn't pay, and then everybody, except those who had taken a short position against the CDOs by buying CDSs, got screwed. The people who bet against the CDOs made out like bandits. They kind of are bandits.

The government, at no time, put a gun to anybody's head and made this happen. But in the late 90s, the Democrats and Republicans, in a rare act of bipartisanship that just warms the heart, refused to allow the SEC to regulate credit default swaps. They also agreed, in essentially repealing Glass-Steagall, to allow commercial banks to merge with investment banks, creating massive, too big to fail financial monsters. Every single major mortgage industry conference in 2005 and 2006 (significant because in those years, the Democrats didn't have the majority in Congress) knew this was a problem and discussed it. And the CRA? Only 6% of the mortgages that defaulted during the crisis were related to the CRA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies