U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 05:53 AM

16,623 posts, read 13,536,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Oh please. $54 a month for insurance? For a 56 year old? Please. what did it cover, a monthly supply of tylenol?

I suppose for those lacking in critical thinking this might spark some outrage. But most of us are probably wondering what the details are.....
It is funny..

Assuming one actually wanted to know the facts of her situation, it requires some critical thinking skills.

For one, her new insurance is much different from her old insurance, so it is an apples to oranges comparison.

Two, her premium as reported by CBS is inaccurate, since she fully admits she doesn't know what the subsidy amount will be for her plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 06:00 AM

1,569 posts, read 994,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
And the hits just keep on coming.

Have the people who came up with this scheme, explained where citizens will get the extra money they are required to pay for Obamacare?

----------------------------------------------------

Florida Woman's Insurance Rate Increases 10X Under Obamacare | The Weekly Standard

Florida Woman's Insurance Rate Increases 10X Under Obamacare

8:44 AM, Oct 28, 2013
by DANIEL HALPER

One Florida woman is going from paying $54 a month to $591 under Obamacare, CBS reports:

"For many, their introduction to the Affordable Care Act has been negative: A broken website, and now cancellation notices from insurance companies, followed by sticker shock over higher prices for the new plans," says a CBS reporter. "It's directly at odds from repeated assurances from the president."

"When I got this bill, I was outraged," CBS quotes a 56-year-old Florida resident who got dropped from her health care plan.

Her new plan will be 10 times higher than what she's paying now, jumping from $54 a month to $591.

"What I have right now is what I'm happy with, and I just want to know why I can't keep what I have," says the woman. "Why do I have to be forced into something else?"

Dr. Evil "Riiiiight" - YouTube

Old 10-29-2013, 06:27 AM

1,077 posts, read 617,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Oh please. $54 a month for insurance? For a 56 year old? Please. what did it cover, a monthly supply of tylenol?

I suppose for those lacking in critical thinking this might spark some outrage. But most of us are probably wondering what the details are.....
My BCBS insurance more than doubled and went up over $4,000 because of Obamacare. I am 60 had a great 80/20 plan with 3,500 deductible for 15 years with the same private BCBS insurance policy, and to keep the same plan they had to tweak because of obamacare, I now have to pay over $4,000 more a year. So I am FORCED to go on the exchanges which to get a plan close to my other plan will cost me ONLY $2,000 MORE A YEAR than I was paying before Obamacare!! My neighbor had a similar raise in costs.

And I am not lacking in critical thinking skills, but you seem to be reality-challenged when it comes to the problems with ACA.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:42 AM

1,673 posts, read 529,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
False. A company I used to work for paid for our health insurance straight out. That's right, we got FREE health insurance, through the company, no matter what our age. (Meaning, no monthly payments...and before you ask, yes, the deductibles were low.) So it IS possible. Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it can't happen to others.
It wasn't 'free'. They just paid you in insurance instead of in dollars. If you hadn't had insurance from your employer, they likely would have paid you more. And even if that weren't true, you were still trading work-hours for insurance costs.

Nothing is free.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:46 AM

21,840 posts, read 5,489,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
My BCBS insurance more than doubled and went up over $4,000 because of Obamacare. I am 60 had a great 80/20 plan with 3,500 deductible for 15 years with the same private BCBS insurance policy, and to keep the same plan they had to tweak because of obamacare, I now have to pay over $4,000 more a year. So I am FORCED to go on the exchanges which to get a plan close to my other plan will cost me ONLY $2,000 MORE A YEAR than I was paying before Obamacare!! My neighbor had a similar raise in costs.

And I am not lacking in critical thinking skills, but you seem to be reality-challenged when it comes to the problems with ACA.
You need to get as much of your income underground as possible.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
It wasn't 'free'. They just paid you in insurance instead of in dollars. If you hadn't had insurance from your employer, they likely would have paid you more. And even if that weren't true, you were still trading work-hours for insurance costs.

Nothing is free.
The Obamacare rollout is leading to the cancellation of hundreds of thousands of health insurance plans nationwide, contradicting President Barack Obama’s repeated pledge that people who like their coverage can keep it.

The notices started to arrive in recent weeks, compounding the political headaches for the White House from the troubled start of its health exchange, the federal website created to give millions of people access to new plans by Jan. 1.

The cancellations come as a result of the 2010 Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, which says that health insurance policies that fail to offer added benefits, such as prescription drug coverage and free preventive care, can’t be sold after this year even if they’re cheaper. With the online site expected to face difficulties through November, Americans may have only weeks to find replacement coverage, and many may end up paying higher premiums.

Health Policies Canceled in Latest Hurdle for Obamacare - Bloomberg

Old 10-29-2013, 07:01 AM

Some Doctors Are Still Charging Patients For The Preventative Care That’s Free Under Obamacare

Some Doctors Are Still Charging Patients For The Preventative Care That's Free Under Obamacare | ThinkProgress

THE PRESIDENT: Hello, everybody. (Laughter.) I was actually going to say good morning. But I guess it's afternoon by now.

As part of the health care reform law that I signed last year, all insurance plans are required to cover preventive care at no cost.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-...reventive-care

Will you inform them for us that it's not "free" and there are costs involved Fancy?

Old 10-29-2013, 09:09 AM

1,673 posts, read 529,999 times
If they don't already know that, there's nothing I can do about it. 'Free' sometimes means that you don't pay cash for it...that's all. It's like when you go to a hotel and they give you a 'free' breakfast...the $10 the breakfast cost is included in the room cost. These 'free' preventive visits are paid for by your premiums -- they're 'included' -- we just call it 'free'. The president should have said 'at no additional cost'. Would you be happy then, or still crying about your precious taxes. Btw -- 50% of young people according to just released HHS statement will be paying $50 a month or less for a basic plan. http://aspe.hhs.gov/health/reports/2...oungadults.pdf

Old 10-29-2013, 10:15 AM

10,587 posts, read 3,688,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
And yet you don't think $591 a month is too high under oblamercare.
Nice.
The liberals don't think that $591/mo is too much to FORCE OTHERS TO PAY under Obamacare.

A very important distinction.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:37 AM

10,587 posts, read 3,688,240 times
(Hey, why do I suddenly have to type a zillion HTML-style tags to get my posts to format normally???)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies