Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2013, 04:15 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times

Advertisements

Liberals support all sorts of regulations on abortion but demand they be based upon medical facts not myths or lies nor should regulations be simply to remove a woman's legal right to choose without any other valid reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 06:01 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Default govt-overreach

Vaginal probes legal in Wisconsin now, pushed through legislation by republican controlled house/assemble and a repug governor.

Busted: Republicans

If that isn't government overreach, I don't what the hell is.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:58 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
What exactly do you think many anti-abortion people are trying to do right now?
And keep getting smacked down by the courts.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:16 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Thread premise fail.

Mainstream liberals support reasonably regulated, legal and safe abortion.

They also support regulated, legal marijuana. And they support changing existing marriage REGULATIONS to include marriage for homosexuals. And they also support regulating tobacco and alcohol, while keeping it legal.

Got it? Good.

Not a single conservative has ever figured out how to punish a woman who gets an abortion in their dream world where abortion is illegal. Throw them in jail? Death penalty? Look to the Saudis on how to deal with this issue? Also never heard ANY reasoned solution on how to prevent people from simply visiting a neighboring state, country, or Indian reservation to obtain an abortion. Nope: Make it illegal and it will stop! Great logic, that. Worked well in the past, right?

Meanwhile little precious whose daddy can afford to fly her to Canada to abort her teenage pregnancy will get off scott-free.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:56 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post

I'm glad what I said makes you guys mad, that means it's the truth. The truth is like a knife, it cuts down to the bone, and it stings those who don't want to accept it. Abortion is wrong, you know it, I know it, and everyone else knows it too.
You certainly do make a lot of assumptions about people.

I get mad because "pro-life" people have done pretty much zilch to take care of kids once they draw a breath. Forty years since Roe v. Wade and we still have thousands of kids in foster care begging to be adopted. Were the "pro-life" actually walking the walk and caring about life every child in America would be in a home where they are loved and cherished. Instead foster kids are aging out of the system and getting put out on to the street. (You've had 40 years to put together a system that would ensure that never happened. Apparently picketing PP is more important than a 15-year old without a family.)

Y'all need to look in the mirror and take a serious look at what you see. It's the reflection of someone who wants to tell women they must give birth...... but then, when she needs to use taxpayer-supported social programs to keep her child healthy, housed and educated, it's "F you lady. I'm tired of watching you use food stamps." (I'm firmly pro-life, BTW. I want every child in this country to do as well as he possibly can so I proudly support WIC, Head Start, the Dream Act..... The Dream Act! Let's educate all those kids who made it through the birth canal so we'll have an educated populace. Yay!)

I am SO un-impressed with what is REALLY in the hearts of the anti-choice.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 10-31-2013 at 10:15 AM..

Old 10-31-2013, 10:10 AM

3,026 posts, read 3,646,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Liberals support all sorts of regulations on abortion but demand they be based upon medical facts not myths or lies nor should regulations be simply to remove a woman's legal right to choose without any other valid reason.
Not exactly true. Not only do liberals and conservatives fit on a spectrum that overlaps on issues such as abortion, but abortion is an emotional and social debate, not a science debate. Science has very little to do with abortion since personhood is a human construct, not a scientific one.

There are both good and bad arguments on both sides. There two best arguments in favour abortion are:
1) People will do it anyway (harm deduction argument)
2) You can't legislate morality

There are also weak arguments in favour of abortion:
1) Science is on our side
2) Tradition (personhood has always been bestowed at birth)

Likewise, the pro-life side has stronger and weaker arguments. Stronger:
1) The foetus is human, and thus should have rights.
2) Life begins at conception, and thus abortion should be murder.

Weak arguments:
1) Minorities and poor people get disproportionately more abortions
2) You can legislate morality

Old 10-31-2013, 10:45 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,228,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
Abortion is wrong, you know it, I know it, and everyone else knows it too.
So you get to dictate what is right and wrong now? That's what I'm drawing from your inference here. I think that's a bit of an overstatement, even for you.

Abortion, when it all comes down to it, is a WOMAN'S choice. It is HER body and HER conscious decision to get an abortion if she wants to no matter the circumstances.

You are free to express your opinion, but I am free to tell you how close minded and ignorant it is.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:33 PM

46 posts, read 55,706 times
Because we don't need to be regulating human bodies besides it takes away from more important endeavors like building robots.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:36 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,795,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
And keep getting smacked down by the courts.
Not always--in fact, the courts might have sometimes helped anti-abortion people--for instance, remember who the U.S. SC supported in 2000? Remember which U.S. SC Justices Bush Jr. appointed?

Oh, and for the record, I have some online friends who are pretty knowledgeable in regards to the U.S. Constitution and/or Constitutional law who disagree with these courts' rulings.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:37 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,795,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
So you get to dictate what is right and wrong now? That's what I'm drawing from your inference here. I think that's a bit of an overstatement, even for you.

Abortion, when it all comes down to it, is a WOMAN'S choice. It is HER body and HER conscious decision to get an abortion if she wants to no matter the circumstances.

You are free to express your opinion, but I am free to tell you how close minded and ignorant it is.
The woman is not the only party involved in pregancy and abortion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies