U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2013, 05:05 PM

1,643 posts, read 1,603,119 times

Advertisements

If a candidate said " The next 8 years are going to be painful and everyone has to sacrifice" would you vote for him? I would.. Suppose he said " all welfare gone..corporate and personal. MIlitary industrial complex halved. Tough love schools with attendance 11 months out of the year" Tax increases combined with massive debt reductions, even if it means recession. Would those who claim to love America vote for this proposition to shore up our fiscal house and provide stability longer term, or is the American voter a selfish, short sighted egocentric zealot who only cares about him/herself and the now? Personally I would love to vote for a guy who promised me nothing except a great country surviving over the long term. I want to hear a candidate say " I am willing to be the most despised and hated man in this nation because I will make decisions that will be uncomfortable to everyone, but will give you a solvent nation 20 years from now". Are the people in this country willing to embrace the truth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 05:28 PM

6,953 posts, read 4,434,235 times
Telling the truth would never ever win a election and asking the country for shared sacrifice is a non starter. Just look at what took place with Simpson/Bowles, nothing. Just look at all the screeching about the sequester. What the unwashed masses want to hear is our country can keep on spending borrowing, and QE for years and years. And it will work because we are Americans and are exceptional and nothing bad will happen to us

Old 10-28-2013, 05:31 PM

29,829 posts, read 16,505,153 times
Id vote for a candidate that said "the next eight years are going to be painful for those dependent on the federal government, because much of it is unsustainible, immoral and outright criminal and we need to do away with it"
Now that is the truth, and aside from ron paul no candidate has ever articulated anything close to it and probably never will.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:33 PM

79,555 posts, read 33,800,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Id vote for a candidate that said "the next eight years going to be painful for those dependent on the federal government, because much of it is unsustainible, immoral and outright criminal and we need to do away with it"
Now that is the truth, and aside from ron paul no candidate has ever articulated anything close to it and probably never will.
I would have voted as many times as I could get away with for any candidate that said that in 2008.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Id vote for a candidate that said "the next eight years going to be painful for those dependent on the federal government, because much of it is unsustainible, immoral and outright criminal and we need to do away with it"

Can you imagine the level of crime increase if the degenerates are denied their freebies? MY guess is that they would cause alot of havoc in liberal cities, and thus liberals wouldn't be so liberal anymore. Just like when Giuliani was elected in NYC. Liberals love the handouts , and are okay with the crime as long as it doesnt effect them...however once those lines are crossed you end up with a guy like Giuliani in a predominetly liberal city!

Old 10-28-2013, 05:44 PM

46,100 posts, read 34,179,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post

I am willing to be the most despised and hated man in this nation because I will make decisions that will be uncomfortable to everyone, but will give you a solvent nation 20 years from now". Are the people in this country willing to embrace the truth?
This sounds like a dictator. No president has the power to do what you speak of.

To answer your question, people are not ready to hear anyone's version of the truth.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
This sounds like a dictator. No president has the power to do what you speak of.

To answer your question, people are not ready to hear anyone's version of the truth.

OH I forgot.. Presidents of Republics cant make decisions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies