Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 07:46 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,669,416 times

Advertisements

A group Upstate Atheists attempted to volunteer for the Spartanburg Soup Kitchen but were turned away because... they're atheists.

Soup Kitchen Rejects Atheist Volunteers - YouTube

Old 10-28-2013, 07:48 PM

2,441 posts, read 3,415,173 times
I dont get what being atheist has to do with accepting their help? Seems kinda silly.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:50 PM

14,888 posts, read 9,965,228 times
The Spartanburg Soup Kitchen is a religious ministry, it's no wonder that this atheist group is now trying to cause them trouble.

Our Mission

Old 10-28-2013, 07:51 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,179,658 times
I refuse to waste 4 min. of my life watching a youtube video, so I'll take a wild guess. Perhaps the atheists wanted to proselytize?

Old 10-28-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
I dont get what being atheist has to do with accepting their help? Seems kinda silly.
Apparently the Christian director of this soup kitchen thought they were working for Satan.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:52 PM

79,900 posts, read 43,866,989 times
And the Congressional Black Congress refuses to accept whites that want to help the blacks in their districts.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
It has nothing to do with accepting their help, they're very open and clear about their mission.

Quote:
We Believe That:

Every human being should be treated with dignity and respect, therefore we treat all people that eat at the Spartanburg Soup Kitchen as our guests and everyone is welcome at our table.
Feeding a hungry person is the first step in addressing their needs.
People who are hungry may have broader issues and needs that should be recognized.
Our volunteers and supporters are a valued asset and we know that they are essential to our success.
We continue to strive to ensure every volunteer and guest has a positive and safe experience with our Soup Kitchen.
Everything we do is to glorify God.
Why would an atheist group want to help a group which they clearly don't agree with? Oh wait I know, so that the liberal media puppets repost this link over and over again, so that the soup kitchen gets hate mail, so that people start to attack their non profit status and so that eventually the soup kitchen gives up their evil work of trying to feed people in the name of God.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I refuse to waste 4 min. of my life watching a youtube video, so I'll take a wild guess. Perhaps the atheists wanted to proselytize?
No. They wanted to donate packs that contained soap, combs, toothbrush, toothpaste, rain poncho, gum, and the like.

BTW, how do atheists proselytize??

Quote:
Upstate Atheists has raised over $2000 to put together more than 300 care packages containing socks, gloves, toothpaste, toothbrushes, combs, soap, rain ponchos, snacks, shaving razors, antiseptic wipes, deodorants, tissues and gum. They plan to distribute these across the street from the soup kitchen this Saturday on National Make a Difference Day
. - See more at: http://aattp.org/watch-christian-sou....SE1hsUDv.dpuf

Old 10-28-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Of course they wanted to, this isn't the first time they offered to help. The first time they were turned away because they showed up wearing anti-religious shirts which attacked the foundation of the soup kitchen they wanted to help

Old 10-28-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
It has nothing to do with accepting their help, they're very open and clear about their mission.

Why would an atheist group want to help a group which they clearly don't agree with? Oh wait I know, so that the liberal media puppets repost this link over and over again, so that the soup kitchen gets hate mail, so that people start to attack their non profit status and so that eventually the soup kitchen gives up their evil work of trying to feed people in the name of God.
Because this group believes in helping people...........period!

Quote:
The group, known as Upstate Atheists, is described on its website in this way:
Mission Statement
To give back to the community via charity and community service.
Our Ethos
Upstate Atheists is a non-profit organization that strives to make the upstate a better place.
We do this by volunteering, helping those in need, doing charity work, and participating in occasional advocacy projects.
- See more at: Watch: 'Christian' Soup Kitchen Refuses to Allow Atheists to Help Feed the Homeless | Americans Against the Tea Party
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies