Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 09:01 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Did you, or did you not support Obamacare? If you supported it, knowing Obama was lying to us, then why?
That's an easy one. They don't care about anything but pure ideology. A failed one at that. They ACCEPT lying and deception because that is the only thing that works in destroying a once great country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 09:16 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
I see it coming, it's in this thread already. The Left is ramping up their propaganda machine to blame this all on the R's and the EVIL corporations, rich and just plain greedy people. Within days or weeks you are going to hear Harry Reid say, "Look at all of these greedy insurance companies and corporations out there, THEY are causing all these issues and the R's in Congress are behind it all, so let us come to the rescue and put UHC in once and for all, after all, that is what we wanted to begin with, but the R's wanted this plan instead". IT IS COMING! The sad part is that the useful idiots out there will believe every word of it. You will see the parrots spreading the BS here as usual too.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:19 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Yes. Conservatives NEVER use any of the strategies that Alinsky wrote about. And I have a bridge to nowhere for sale.....
No, they don't.

Alinsky was a big leftist.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:20 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
My insurance policy will be terminated and I started a thread that I can't get to (something wrong with the forum) but the thread was to show an example of what is happening with someone who is losing their insurance and the research I am finding out in an effort to a.) to find out why and b.) to replace my current insurance.

Democrats keep saying that those who are losing their policies because it was a skeleton policy. This is NOT true. If and when me or my family became sick I did not want to worry about insurance so I set up the plan to have excellent insurance and fully funded my health care savings account. The day came, I became very ill and had to have 2 venous surgeries. My insurance company authorized treatments quickly and the insurance agents were very helpful. My medical bills were paid quickly and I paid my required amount.

The democrats are now demonizing the insurance company for canceling policies. They had no choice. I liked my insurance company and when a company does right by me I want to stay with them. Unfortunately to stay with them the options the prices have increased (not decreased). I am not eligible for a subsidy. My insurance company held a seminar to help explain the new options. And yes I do know that I can shop around.

From what I hear so far and in my circumstance the democrats are putting out false information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
And the lame left checks in. I doesn't matter that Obama lied. MTAtech, my "EXCELLENT" policy was terminated but I do NOT qualify for a subsidy. My options are much more expensive.

My current policy:
Monthly Payments: $478.25
Deductible: $2500 deduct
Out of pocket max: $2000
Co-Insurance (Co-Pay): 90/10
Quote:
Since I will not be able to keep my policy and when I am forced to buy another policy if I stay with Highmark my options are below. Note: I do not qualify for a subsidy.

Obamacare Compliant Policy Options:

Monthly Payment: $672.00
Deductible: $2000
Out of Pocket Maximum: $9000.00
Co-Insurance (Co-Pay): 80/20

Monthly Payment: $784.65
Deductible: $5000
Out of Pocket Maximum: $7000.00
Co-Insurance (Co-Pay): 90/10

Monthly Payment: $770.59
Deductible: $6400
Out of Pocket Maximum: $12,7000.00
Co-Insurance (Co-Pay): 80/20

Old 10-30-2013, 09:20 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
A bunch of my friends who buy their own insurance are getting letters now upping their rates (one who was especially angry detailed the increase - it will cost him $3000 more a year).

We didn't hear anything, so I had my wife call Aetna to see what was what.

They said our plan was good till July of next year, at which point it would CEASE TO EXIST and we'd have to buy a different plan likely at a higher rate and with fewer coverage options (even at the highest tier, which is what we already buy).

It's crazy-making. And it was clearly a lie. And it would be less offensive a lie if he hadn't said it over and over and over again...that we'd get to keep the insurance we were happy with. MF.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:22 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
The purpose of the tax code is to fund government, not to enforce your stupid version of "equality".

Old 10-30-2013, 09:37 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,405,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I see it coming, it's in this thread already. The Left is ramping up their propaganda machine to blame this all on the R's and the EVIL corporations, rich and just plain greedy people. Within days or weeks you are going to hear Harry Reid say, "Look at all of these greedy insurance companies and corporations out there, THEY are causing all these issues and the R's in Congress are behind it all, so let us come to the rescue and put UHC in once and for all, after all, that is what we wanted to begin with, but the R's wanted this plan instead". IT IS COMING! The sad part is that the useful idiots out there will believe every word of it. You will see the parrots spreading the BS here as usual too.
Exactly right. Obama will now shift the blame to insurance companies for doing what they are forced to do under the 'Affordable' Care Act--cancel existing plans and raise the rates. Obama, Reid, and other cronies conveniently forget that they are the ones who rammed this idiotic law down the throats of Americans as they lied about what it would entail. Chief Roberts improbably gave it the deciding vote that it would be constitutionally sound (it's not).

What pressure or personal information did Obama's team use on Chief Roberts to get him to vote for ACA?

Old 10-30-2013, 09:44 AM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Quote:
Now, where this gets interesting is when you take transfers — that is, stuff like Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid, food stamps, the Earned Income Tax Credit, and other government programs designed to improve people's standards of living — into account. Those programs, like progressive taxes, reduce inequality relative to what it would be without them.
Yes, let's take a look at what happens when transfers are considered.

From the Chairman of the Economics Department of Harvard University:
Quote:
"Because transfer payments are, in effect, the opposite of taxes, it makes sense to look not just at taxes paid, but at taxes paid minus transfers received. For 2009, the most recent year available, here are taxes less transfers as a percentage of market income (income that households earned from their work and savings):

Bottom quintile: -301 percent
Second quintile: -42 percent
Middle quintile: -5 percent
Fourth quintile: 10 percent
Highest quintile: 22 percent
Top one percent: 28 percent

The negative 301 percent means that a typical family in the bottom quintile receives about $3 in transfer payments for every dollar earned.

The most surprising fact to me was that the effective tax rate is negative for the middle quintile. According to the CBO data, this number was +14 percent in 1979 (when the data begin) and remained positive through 2007. It was negative 0.5 percent in 2008, and negative 5 percent in 2009. That is, the middle class, having long been a net contributor to the funding of government, is now a net recipient of government largess."
Harvard University's Greg Mankiw: Most Americans Are Making A Profit Off Of Government

CBO report cited:
CBO | The Distribution of Household Income and Federal Taxes

The reason we can't afford national healthcare is because our tax base is way too narrow, we need a much broader tax base like the countries which have national healthcare paid for by regressive taxes, AND too high of a percentage of Americans are making a profit off of government instead of contributing their fair share to the country's expenses.

I've not seen a single liberal address either of those issues. Both are blocking funding of the national healthcare they want so much, yet they do not a thing about it.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:42 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
No, they don't.

Alinsky was a big leftist.
And his strategies work just as well for the right as the left.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:15 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Most of the NEW enrollees are qualifying for Medicaid which is a net drain on taxpayer money. These people are not contributing one penny to the pool.
I've heard the number of new Medicaid enrollees is estimated to be 17 million, before we are all done. As it is now, states spend 25% of every dollar on Medicaid, I can only imagine how a million more people on Medicaid in some states, will impact state and federal budgets.

The GAO is predicting that even with all this, 30 million uninsured people at anyone time will still be the norm. A fat lot of good it will do if we fine these people a hundred or so dollars, if they run up thousands of dollars more in hospital emergency room bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies