Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2013, 02:36 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,086,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The guy gave away secret and confidential information to the enemy...
The enemy being the American people?

You seem completely opposed to the notion of reporting wrongdoing when it's our intelligence Agencies that are breaking the law. I suggest you do some research on the Church Committee hearings to educate yourself about a long history of abuse by agencies like the NSA, CIA and FBI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 02:41 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I've yet to see a response from you that outlines why you feel his actions were not of any benefit to you, your privacy, and more importantly, your 4th Amendment rights. What we have seen, though, is your belief that he's a traitor while simultaneously propping up the Obama Administration in the process. It seems you are not able to compartmentalize the two very different scenarios of 1) Defending the President and 2) Defending your 4th Amendment rights.

You should try harder to separate the two. Yes, really.
Snowdens actions have jeopardized the security of the nation, the extent of which time will tell, i'm not getting your insistence that this is in someway tied to propping up the Obama Admin, i'd have the same rational no matter who the President might be,its not about the President its about giving away secrets of national security to the enemy, I'm thinking you arent quite grasping the implication and are instead trying to use the incident into just another bash Obama topic.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:48 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Nice deflection
Horrible rebuttal.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Snowdens actions have jeopardized the security of the nation, the extent of which time will tell, i'm not getting your insistence that this is in someway tied to propping up the Obama Admin, i'd have the same rational no matter who the President might be,its not about the President its about giving away secrets of national security to the enemy, I'm thinking you arent quite grasping the implication and are instead trying to use the incident into just another bash Obama topic.
We're all pretty clear about your point of view; you value national security far above the U.S. Constitution. Most people on this board, who aren't part of the Surveillance Industrial Complex themselves, just find such one-dimensional thinking absurd.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Again, this is the same argument made against Manning but the court found him innocent of the charges. The ruling the other day said that the spying is unconstitutional.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:52 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
The enemy being the American people?

You seem completely opposed to the notion of reporting wrongdoing when it's our intelligence Agencies that are breaking the law. I suggest you do some research on the Church Committee hearings to educate yourself about a long history of abuse by agencies like the NSA, CIA and FBI.
I saw a 60 minutes episode 10yrs ago where they were talking about the NSA's Cell phone monitoring capabilities and how certain phrases and catch words would set the recorders rolling,its been common knowledge that these organizations have been spying for some time whether its wire taps,cell phone records or online activities,if you didnt think they were also spying on Americans you are rather naive, now you know they are listening you cant seriously be calling for the ending of the NSA, CIA and FBI merely because they might be listening to your cell phone..

Old 12-20-2013, 02:54 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,112,280 times
Quote:
The problem with your assertion is that the programs that have been revealed by Snowden haven't actually stopped one single terrorist event. So tell us about this jeopardy to national security that you think exists by revealing these ineffectual programs?

Surely I don't need to show this link, as i'm sure you've seen it, right?

NSA program stopped no terror attacks, says White House panel member - Investigations

Old 12-20-2013, 02:57 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,112,280 times
Quote:
I saw a 60 minutes episode 10yrs ago where they were talking about the NSA's Cell phone monitoring capabilities and how certain phrases and catch words would set the recorders rolling,its been common knowledge that these organizations have been spying for some time whether its wire taps,cell phone records or online activities,if you didnt think they were also spying on Americans you are rather naive, now you know they are listening you cant seriously be calling for the ending of the NSA, CIA and FBI merely because they might be listening to your cell phone..
Your logic is very weak. So, just because you learned about these actions 10 years ago, you are able to give a free pass because the actions are 10 years old?

We'd like for you to think deeper. Like perhaps analyze what this means for your 4th Amendment rights.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I go to the source to find out the truth. Here's a picture of me with 32 year NSA veteran William Binney.

He assured me that before the USA Patriot Act, bulk collection of U.S. citizen's data did not happen. When it started being done he resigned because he's an intelligent and ethical person who knew it was illegal and unconstitutional. Time has proven him right.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
And yet we are and the courts have called for exactly that to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies