Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 08:54 AM

77,910 posts, read 60,076,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
People do it all the time.

If I want to play Chinese Jazz at my wedding and wanted to hire a Chinese band instead of a Mexican band I will do it.

Now lets say I was hiring a janitor to work for me. I have a White applicant and an Asian applicant. The Asian applicant was more qualified but I hired the White guy because I have heard bad things about Asians and don't feel comfortable with hiring them. That would be a discrimination case and I should be sued. Even though it is my company and I should hire who I want I took away opportunity to work based on race.

I hope you understand where I'm coming from.
Not really. In fact, thats bizarre because they were going to play a style of music and were denied due to their skin color. It's not like they were a polka band and got booted from a rap festival for godsake.

I guess Journey needs to fire the guy they got to replace Steve Perry as their lead singer because he is Fillipino.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 09:45 AM

57,022 posts, read 35,059,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I am not going to argue as to who invented rock and roll, I think it was more of a collaboration of different music.
You're right...you shouldn't argue about it and the earliest rock and roll was NOT collaborative at all. The root of rock and roll is and will always be blues,boogie woogie, rhythm and blues...with a touch of the old negro gospels for good measure. Guys like Frank Zappa who tuned into the earliest rock and roll stations have openly stated that the music had been on "race record" radio stations at the end of the AM dial for years long before mainstream America (read: white America)had even heard of it.

So yeah, it was an amalgamation of different types of music, sure, but racially collaborative? No. Not until the mid to late 50's.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:20 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,054,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
In liberal la-la land it is OK to discriminate based on race so long as the person being discriminated against is white.
Yes, I can totally see where you'd feel discriminated against if the cook in the taco truck spoke Spanish to the guy next to you in line and that guy got his food faster.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:44 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,927,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yes, I can totally see where you'd feel discriminated against if the cook in the taco truck spoke Spanish to the guy next to you in line and that guy got his food faster.
Harrier can speak Spanish just as well as that guy and he doesn't really care how long it takes so long as the tacos are good.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:26 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,309,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
white musicians always copy black musicians.

elvis is revered by whites, even though he just copied what chuck berry was doing years before.

right now you have justin timberlake out pretending to be michael jackson.
There is no such thing as black music or white music when you think about it. There was cultural mixing and racial mixing and intermingling. Both blacks and whites borrowed influences from each other since cultures had contacted each other. Both blacks and whites culturally appropriate each other all the time.

It's all just a matter of semantics and politics. At the end of the day, MUSIC IS MUSIC, period. You can't put a divide or different label categorizations on music especially when the lines are blurred or what not.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:40 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,783,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well as a matter of full disclosure; I have the same problems with all or predominately white bands because, as the school put it, concerns about cultural appropriation and the need to respect marginalized cultures." This goes for afro-pop, blues or reggae groups, especially when the musicians who created this music are not given the same opportunity to play and profit from the music of their own creation. But having said that I am also willing to give such bands the benefit of the doubt based upon their respect for the music, the musicians and cultures of the music that they are appropriating. So, I see NO problem with students or anyone else for that matter discussing the issue openly and honestly.
You realize though that by saying you see no problem with an open and honest debate on this issue, it's leaving the door for others to be discriminated on in the same way.

As long as your ok with other races having this done to them too, then what you said isn't hypocritical.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:42 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,054,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Harrier can speak Spanish just as well as that guy and he doesn't really care how long it takes so long as the tacos are good.
You just missed your big chance to tell everyone all about the racial discrimination you face as a white guy in L.A.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:09 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,403,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I hope they sue for discrimination!

Old 10-30-2013, 09:09 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,059,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
There is no such thing as black music or white music when you think about it. There was cultural mixing and racial mixing and intermingling. Both blacks and whites borrowed influences from each other since cultures had contacted each other. Both blacks and whites culturally appropriate each other all the time.

It's all just a matter of semantics and politics. At the end of the day, MUSIC IS MUSIC, period. You can't put a divide or different label categorizations on music especially when the lines are blurred or what not.
Early rock and roll was called "race music" for a reason. And you can hear one account after another about that period and it's pretty clear that there wasn't much mixing and intermingling going on. Blues, rhythm and blues, and early boogie woogie are black forms of music. And they didn't get much if any outside influence.

Ike Turner 's band (and dozens of other bands) had been playing rock and roll all over the country on the Chitlin Circuit since the mid to late 40s in all black venues. And you can best believe that there wasn't any intermingling going on in most of those places at that time.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:28 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,109,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
In that case, all Motown or rap should be removed from the "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" for not being "white enough".
It's a good idea to get the facts straight before typing...

Quote:
No one person started rock 'n' roll. It was a black and white alloy of Fats Domino, Lloyd Price, Ike Turner, Hank Williams, Joe Turner, Louis Jordan, Ray Charles, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Buddy Holly - and Elvis Presley.
Who Really Invented Rock 'n' Roll - The New York Sun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies