Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 11:48 AM

20,170 posts, read 24,282,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Obviously it's not sufficient to deter loads of malpractice lawsuits. My college roommate is now a physician, doing mostly internal med for geriatric patients. He told me he is sued an average of 3 times per year. Yes, that is a problem. But why is it that the manner in which he makes his decisions in his delivery of care are subject to so much dispute?
Why, because the lawyers run the country, of course.

Soto voce: I'm personally in favor of socialized legal services for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 12:45 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,835,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
OBGYN 184045 to 350455 wow.
The average cost for malpractice insurance for a OB/GYN in Florida was $195,000 in 2005.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:47 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,450,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Why, because the lawyers run the country, of course.

Soto voce: I'm personally in favor of socialized legal services for everyone.

The judges agree to hear the cases. Maybe the judges believe the quallity control system in the medical profession is opaque, as well.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
The judges agree to hear the cases. Maybe the judges believe the quallity control system in the medical profession is opaque, as well.
Your roommate must be incompetent to have been sued then...

Is that what you are saying?

Old 11-28-2007, 01:00 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,450,103 times
Are you saying that you don't know what "jumping to conclusions" means?

Old 11-28-2007, 01:04 PM

You think that quality control is lacking in the medical profession.

Your roommate is sued an average of three times a year.

He is a member of the medical profession.

As you do not consider lawsuits to be the problem it must be the Doctor.

Last edited by oz in SC; 11-28-2007 at 01:15 PM..

Old 11-28-2007, 05:03 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,464,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
A GP in the UK working under contract with the NHS earns between 80,000 and 120,000 pounds, thats $165,000 to $248,000.

On top of that is their private practice....

To add, in the USA a family practice Doctor earns an average of $142,000....

Is family practice similar to a GP???
Yes

Quote:
A big problem among the medical profession is the ineffective QUALITY CONTROL scheme in place today. If the profession could make more clear to its members what are the proper standards of practice, there would be a lot less of a fuzzy basis for initiating lawsuits for malpractice. The doctors need to make their quality practices more transparent. Traditional doctors were accustomed to having a great deal of discretion in performing their services. That eventually got them into trouble in a world with so many lawyers.
In a sense, that is what insurance companies sometimes do. I know of a dr. who was questioned by the insurance co. when he treated a pt for strep when the rapid strep test was negative. He had to show that the test was sent to the lab and came back positive. Mind you, I'm not defending insurance companies. I have had my own issues with them and would prefer not to have to mess with them, personally or professionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
So how come the hospitals don't have to release the infection information? MRSA is a big scare right now.
MRSA is a media hype right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
And people wonder why medical students do not want to be family doctors anymore and why there is going to be an emerging crisis as America continues to age, with no primary care physicinas to attend them.
They have been saying this for the 35 yrs I've been in health care. It hasn't happened yet. Actually, many women physicians go into family practice these days, so that's a good thing.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:06 PM

Interesting how people think Doctors are paid more here in the USA when the fact is a GP in th UK would earn considerably more...and not have the malpractice insurance to pay.

Of course they would have to live in England....

Old 11-28-2007, 05:16 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,282,586 times
Quote:
And maybe the judges believe the doctors have a lot of money that the lawyers could put to better use.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:42 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,563,886 times
Just some food for thought here with a little bit of personal experience. My dad just came back from a six week trip to Europe. Most of it was spent in England.

He cut out numerous articles that were in newspapers about an uproar in England over Americans going to England for treatment that they can't get here.

He discovered while in England that he needed to have a hernia operation. He had to go to a GP while in England who of course discovered the hernia. Incidentally, when he walked into the GP's office, the wait was so short he didn't even have to sit down. This was also my experience when I had flu like symptoms while traveling in England two years ago. He could have had the operation performed in England the following week but the doctor also said since he wasn't in an incredible amount of pain that he could wait until he got back to the States. My dad of course opted to wait since he didn't want to ruin the rest of his vactation. He has been home over two weeks and goes to the doctor tomorrow. He called the day after he got back and they initially didn't want to make the appointment until late december. He still doesn't have the surgery scheduled. Also, he had to wait in his doctor's office for almost an hour before he got in.

It is my understanding that some of the NHS is run locally. Local governments can determine how they want to spend their money. So some localities might opt to not offer an experimental drug, things like that. Doesn't sound much different from my insurance. Don't be fooled into thinking that your insurance covers any treatment currently available. A friend of mine is fighting with his insurance company as we speak because they are refusing to pay for blood transfusions which are literally keeping him alive. This man is 62 years old and has a form of blood cancer.

Statistically, more americans die waiting for treatment (insured as well as uninsured) than the Canadians and British. It is going to happen anywhere whether it is run by the government or the insurance industry. Some areas of the US, just as some areas of England and Canada, have a higher demand than supply of doctors. Earlier this year I had a scary looking mole. My family has a history of skin cancer so I was very concerned. I called close to 20 dermatologists in the area and the earliest anyone could see me was just over three months. Thank god it wasn't melanoma.

I can't believe that so many of you do not have faith in our government. Do you not have faith in our military? The rich pay more in taxes to support it. What about our public schools? Sure we have some bad ones but we also have some world class awesome ones and research suggests that they are getting better. Sure current universal healthcare systems have its faults and it will not be perfect but there is no reason why we can't come up with one as close to perfect as we can get. We are the grand ole' US after all.

Oh and one more thing. If money and taxes is your biggest concern, go ahead and crunch the numbers. Comparing to the NHS, we pay about 40% more per person than they do as it is. Remember we are paying for it anyway, we could very feasibly have better healthcare than what we have now for alot less. That means that only the top 5% of money earners would have to pay more. That is the Bill Gates and Oprah Winfrey's of the world. Go ahead and ask them if they would mind payiing more to have a universal healthcare system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies