Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 08:43 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,608 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feewings and suggest that he might be a terrorist.

Especially since I was so soundly corrected by some of our more compassionate friends that the cyanide he had could have been used for any number of purposes, and that I was just being a bigot and prejudging him because of his name.

Police: Pound Of Cyanide Found In Denver Hotel - Denver News Story - KMGH Denver

Police confirmed Wednesday that they found about a pound of sodium cyanide in a Denver hotel room where the body of a Canadian man was discovered earlier this week.

Police spokesman John White identified the white powder as sodium cyanide, the crystal form of cyanide. Fire officials say they found a bottle containing about a pound of the white powder, or between a pint and a quart by volume.

An expert told the Denver Post that the amount of cyanide is enough to kill hundreds of people...

But as I was so sternly instructed, he was just a resident of Canada who came to Colorado for a visit and brought along his pet jar of cyanide, a compound that is "available to the public in rat poison" and also used...in mining, to extract precious metals.

Maybe the hotel had rats he was afraid of, or he was heading for the hills to find gold. Whatever the case, I stand by my position that he sure quacks like a terrorist to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 08:46 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
I wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feewings and suggest that he might be a terrorist.

Especially since I was so soundly corrected by some of our more compassionate friends that the cyanide he had could have been used for any number of purposes, and that I was just being a bigot and prejudging him because of his name.

Police: Pound Of Cyanide Found In Denver Hotel - Denver News Story - KMGH Denver

Police confirmed Wednesday that they found about a pound of sodium cyanide in a Denver hotel room where the body of a Canadian man was discovered earlier this week.

Police spokesman John White identified the white powder as sodium cyanide, the crystal form of cyanide. Fire officials say they found a bottle containing about a pound of the white powder, or between a pint and a quart by volume.

An expert told the Denver Post that the amount of cyanide is enough to kill hundreds of people...

But as I was so sternly instructed, he was just a resident of Canada who came to Colorado for a visit and brought along his pet jar of cyanide, a compound that is "available to the public in rat poison" and also used...in mining, to extract precious metals.

Maybe the hotel had rats he was afraid of, or he was heading for the hills to find gold. Whatever the case, I stand by my position that he sure quacks like a terrorist to me.

Saleman Abdirahman Dirie. It's Canadian. I think it's a famous hockey player's name right?

Old 08-13-2008, 09:01 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,608 times
Somehow, someone somewhere searched the guy's name and found a post by someone by that name (of course there could be a thousand people by that name so take it with a grain of salt). I make no claims about this particular website and its political views--I just read this blog entry:

Following the links, his post was in response to a thread about Muslims killing Christians in Somalia--apparently a bit of a problem over there.

Little Green Footballs - Possible Denver Cyanide Suspect Posted 'Kill Them!' in July

Please don’t talk sh*t , that man deserves what happened to him , simply because having the bible in one hand , and a bread in the other hand , is not a correct thing ,! Kill Them , Kill them , Kill them , that is my massage,!

Comment by Abdirahman Dirie — July 11, 2008 @ 10:33 pm

Old 08-13-2008, 09:05 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
AGAIN:

The FBI's Joint Terrorism Task Force is assisting in the investigation but FBI spokeswoman Kathy Wright said the incident has no apparent connection to terrorism.

I guess you know better than the FBI. You've already stated that you assume anyone with a Muslim name is a suspected terrorist by default.

People use cyanide to kill themselves. It's a quick death. The fact of the matter is, no one knows what happened... but you automatically throw out the "terrorist" label because he has a funny name.

You neglected to post the rest of the article about the supposed online persona of this person... the screen name CONTINUED to post after his death.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...r-hotel-death/
Quote:
But the blogger Abdirahman Dirie was online again Wednesday, meaning it couldn't be the same person, unless someone had taken the name as a joke.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:48 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,249,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
AGAIN:

The FBI's Joint Terrorism Task Force is assisting in the investigation but FBI spokeswoman Kathy Wright said the incident has no apparent connection to terrorism.

I guess you know better than the FBI. You've already stated that you assume anyone with a Muslim name is a suspected terrorist by default.

People use cyanide to kill themselves. It's a quick death. The fact of the matter is, no one knows what happened... but you automatically throw out the "terrorist" label because he has a funny name.

You neglected to post the rest of the article about the supposed online persona of this person... the screen name CONTINUED to post after his death.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...r-hotel-death/
Why would this man need a pound of cyanide to kill himself? Doesn't that seem a bit extreme?

Old 08-13-2008, 10:17 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Saleman Abdirahman Dirie. It's Canadian. I think it's a famous hockey player's name right?
Nah!! A good Irish Catholic.

Last edited by doc1; 08-13-2008 at 10:35 PM..

Old 08-13-2008, 10:19 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Why would this man need a pound of cyanide to kill himself? Doesn't that seem a bit extreme?
To kill rats in precious metal mines. What else?

Old 08-13-2008, 10:20 PM

1,827 posts, read 2,588,845 times
Scratch one more from the religion of peace.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:21 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,249,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
To kill rats in precious metal mines. What else?
Once again, the obvious escapes me!

Old 08-14-2008, 01:43 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,564,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post

So what, you didn't get enough sympathy in the election forum so you reposted it here where your friends can rally around & support you? Too funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies