U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-24-2007, 04:42 AM
 
79 posts, read 191,222 times
Reputation: 71

Advertisements

What does this have with gay rights? If the GOP were not homophobic, many gays would find their interests mesh with the GOP, so one might argue that the Christian right is helping maintaining a Democratic majority. I would support true enforcement of CURRENT immigration law to see the impact. Then folks would know what effect it would have on food production, construction and on and on. Right now no one really knows the impact since conflicting statistics are coming out. Unfortunately, right now our immigration policy is no immigration policy this is as much due to the right as the left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-24-2007, 04:58 AM
 
Location: Gilbert, AZ
788 posts, read 1,898,586 times
Reputation: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
soooo.... If I go through a McDonald's drive through, and the person at the order window will only speak Spanish to me, they should be able to keep their job? Even though the majority of America speaks English? That McDonald's will not get my money if I cannot reasonably order without having to go learn a foreign language before hand.
That's pretty much the case anyway. I don't even know how many times I've gone through a drive through and had to repeat my order multiple times because the person doesn't understand me, or got my order wrong. Like you said, I don't go to those places anymore. It's just too much of a hassle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2007, 05:59 PM
 
12,625 posts, read 18,125,141 times
Reputation: 2989
Exclamation Federal Gov sues Salvation Army over ENGLISH

The Federal Government has filed suit
against the Salvation Army and is targeting other businesses
that require employees to speak English on the job.

The Salvation Army Thrift Store being targeted by the Equal
Opportunities Commission (EEOC) clearly posted its "speak English"
requirements and gave employees one year to learn the language.
But the EEOC still filed suit saying this was a "civil
rights" violation.

And it's getting worse. Last year, over 200 similar charges
were filed with the EEOC -- up from just a handful ten years ago.

+ + Nancy Pelosi sides with EEOCís anti-English attacks

To make matters worse, Nancy Pelosi and Congress' Hispanic
Caucus have teamed up to block an effort to put an end to
the EEOC's attacks on businesses that require English.


Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN) proposed a provision to the Commerce,
Justice, Science Appropriations Bill (HR 3093, S. 1745) that
would prevent the EEOC from such legal attacks. The full Senate
passed the bill--with the Alexander provision.

The House also greed to the amendment, but later withdrew support after the Hispanic Caucus threatened to stonewall other House bills unless
the provision was removed.


Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi
agreed, saying the House will not vote on the bill until the
English language provision is terminated.


in other words, Pelosi and a small group of Congressmen
are defending the EEOC's efforts to sue organizations like the
Salvation Army that require English on the job!

Call Nancy Pelosi and demand she move H.R. 3093
forward with the Alexander provision.

Here is her contact information: 202/225-4965

2. Fax the Speaker of the House and the Hispanic Caucus
demanding they stop devaluing the English language.
To schedule your personalized faxes to Nancy Pelosi
and members of the Hispanic Caucus, click here:

as citizens we cannot allow a small group of lawmakers
to hold Congress hostage while they support the EEOC's
anti-English attacks!

Before Congress closes up shop for the year, Nancy Pelosi will
push this bill forward. That's why over the next week
,

I want to flood her office and every member of the Hispanic Caucus with
thousands of phone calls and faxes saying


"We speak English in America!"

grassfire.org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2007, 06:46 PM
 
436 posts, read 617,333 times
Reputation: 133
I believe that any employee of a U.S. company should be required to speak English on the job.

No exceptions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2007, 07:43 PM
 
1,510 posts, read 750,427 times
Reputation: 32
this is a simple thing. private businesses should be able to hire whoever they want. if they hire only spanish-speakers, they have to deal with the loss of english speaking customer base. and vice versa. a company can reach out (or not) to anyone they choose. its business, not politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2007, 08:52 PM
j33
 
4,625 posts, read 12,848,030 times
Reputation: 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek View Post
I believe that any employee of a U.S. company should be required to speak English on the job.

No exceptions
I do not. What about my coworker, who can speak to the parents of students in Polish to help them understand university policy more clearly. Should she be fired? Or what about a student who is more comfortable speaking Polish to her as that is the first language of both parties, even though they are both fluent in English.

I have no problems with people who speak other languages on the job, but when I am working with them, I do think that if I ask them a question in English, they should able to respond to it.

I am also perfectly okay with the notion that some people take awhile to learn English. I've worked a bit with refugee resettlement and know for a fact that many of the participants in these programs are required to find jobs before they have a working grasp of English (coming to the US sometimes with just the clothing on their back, with no chance to learn English before they arrive), and are usually able to. Would you rather they collect welfare until their spoken English is impeccable? I don't really care if someone working in a warehouse conducts his business in English or Urdu, it is no skin off my back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2007, 09:02 PM
 
Location: Gilbert, AZ
788 posts, read 1,898,586 times
Reputation: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I do not. What about my coworker, who can speak to the parents of students in Polish to help them understand university policy more clearly. Should she be fired? Or what about a student who is more comfortable speaking Polish to her as that is the first language of both parties, even though they are both fluent in English.
I think that there is a big difference between someone who is hired to translate and interpret and someone who just feels like speaking another language socially. One is a function of the job, the other is personal choice.

From personal experience, I know some Spanish, but I have worked in an environment where I was completely surrounded by spanish speakers, and it make me feel uncomfortable because I was excluded from any conversation. Social environment aside, I've actually had people talk about business items that I needed to know in Spanish as well. Later, when the issue came up for me, they said "oh, we were talking about that, didn't you hear?". I understand enough Spanish to have a very basic conversation, but not enough to conduct business in Spanish.

For some, speaking in their native language is more comfortable. However, common sense business behavior is sometimes ignored. I don't think it's malicious, but it's still an issue sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2007, 09:17 PM
 
1,510 posts, read 750,427 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post
I think that there is a big difference between someone who is hired to translate and interpret and someone who just feels like speaking another language socially. One is a function of the job, the other is personal choice.

From personal experience, I know some Spanish, but I have worked in an environment where I was completely surrounded by spanish speakers, and it make me feel uncomfortable because I was excluded from any conversation. Social environment aside, I've actually had people talk about business items that I needed to know in Spanish as well. Later, when the issue came up for me, they said "oh, we were talking about that, didn't you hear?". I understand enough Spanish to have a very basic conversation, but not enough to conduct business in Spanish.

For some, speaking in their native language is more comfortable. However, common sense business behavior is sometimes ignored. I don't think it's malicious, but it's still an issue sometimes.
youre right when you say that sometimes its a function of the job. when you are giving the example of coworkers socializing in spanish, you say you feel uncomfortable. that is your own choice. they should not be forced to socialize in english. when it is a job function, like you exampled with the business items, it should be clearly communicated to the employees in whatever manner the owner/manager sees fit. if they choose to communicate that in spanish, and you dont understand, then you might not be the right person for the job. it is up to your employer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2007, 09:26 PM
 
Location: Gilbert, AZ
788 posts, read 1,898,586 times
Reputation: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
youre right when you say that sometimes its a function of the job. when you are giving the example of coworkers socializing in spanish, you say you feel uncomfortable. that is your own choice. they should not be forced to socialize in english. when it is a job function, like you exampled with the business items, it should be clearly communicated to the employees in whatever manner the owner/manager sees fit. if they choose to communicate that in spanish, and you dont understand, then you might not be the right person for the job. it is up to your employer.
Well, I don't work there anymore, but it's not for that reason.

When you're assigned a desk/cubicle and every single cubicle around you has employees who speak both Spanish and English fluently, you think it's appropriate for people to choose the unofficial language? My work was not dominated by Spanish speakers, though there were many, all of them fully bilingual. So, my only option in this scenario is to quit my job? That seems unreasonable. I never complained, but it's a matter of common courtesy to speak the most commonly used language in the business place.

As far as not being right for the job because I didn't understand enough Spanish to hear relevant business information, that makes no sense either, because the primary language used in the business was English, and my particular duties were all in English, as well as the duties for the rest of my group. So, because I don't speak Spanish socially, I wasn't well enough equipped to perform my duties? That's ridiculous.

I worked in an environment involving complex work. All of the managers spoke English, but we needed to communicate among other employees to pass important information. That should have been done in English, since everyone in the company spoke English, while some chose to use Spanish as well. Using a language that everyone speaks, especially for business related conversations, would be common sense, I would think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2007, 09:55 PM
 
1,510 posts, read 750,427 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post
Well, I don't work there anymore, but it's not for that reason.

When you're assigned a desk/cubicle and every single cubicle around you has employees who speak both Spanish and English fluently, you think it's appropriate for people to choose the unofficial language?
english is not the official language of the united states. it is only the de facto language.

Quote:
My work was not dominated by Spanish speakers, though there were many, all of them fully bilingual. So, my only option in this scenario is to quit my job? That seems unreasonable. I never complained, but it's a matter of common courtesy to speak the most commonly used language in the business place.
i do not agree at all. you have a choice to deal with it or quit, seeing as though it's purely a "courtesy" issue (in your opinion), and not a legal one.

Quote:
As far as not being right for the job because I didn't understand enough Spanish to hear relevant business information, that makes no sense either, because the primary language used in the business was English, and my particular duties were all in English, as well as the duties for the rest of my group. So, because I don't speak Spanish socially, I wasn't well enough equipped to perform my duties? That's ridiculous.
if the job function was intended to be communicated in english, as per the owner or upper management, then the spanish speakers were at fault.

Quote:
I worked in an environment involving complex work. All of the managers spoke English, but we needed to communicate among other employees to pass important information. That should have been done in English, since everyone in the company spoke English, while some chose to use Spanish as well. Using a language that everyone speaks, especially for business related conversations, would be common sense, I would think.

in your situation, it sounds like it. i wouldve voiced my complaints to the higher-ups, and let them know you couldnt be legally liable for any discrepancies due to a lack of proper communication. you had every right to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:54 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top