Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 03:22 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,772,235 times

Advertisements

Sex is the incentive and kids are the byproduct because, you know, a condom does not feel right and a male needs to mark his territory and be the player.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 03:23 PM

3,999 posts, read 4,117,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Only because government makes home ownership unscalablle, thereby keeping millions of low-wage workers in rent slavery where rent inflation gobbles up min wage increases.

If affordable homes were available to min wage workers, they could buy tiny homes, leave behind rent increases, and become better off as minimum wage goes up.
You must live in a cardboard box under an overpass somewhere, because every single post of your's has to do with how its "unfair" that you can't buy a house.

If you ever do get a house, who oh who is going to be "keeping you down" when you have to pay Real Estate Tax, Insurance, upkeep and maintenance?

Old 10-31-2013, 03:40 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,301,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
You must live in a cardboard box under an overpass somewhere, because every single post of your's has to do with how its "unfair" that you can't buy a house.

If you ever do get a house, who oh who is going to be "keeping you down" when you have to pay Real Estate Tax, Insurance, upkeep and maintenance?

??? If I ever do get a house, my Real Estate Tax goes DOWN - there is an extra $1,500/yr tax on my rented home because it's a rental. Put another way, if I ever do get a house, I end up with MORE money in my pocket than I have now. Sadly, most renters pay more to rent than they would pay to own.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:42 PM

872 posts, read 822,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
If you have $300 to spend in one lump sum for kitchenware, then you're doing a lot better financially than a lot of people are. Kudos for your good fortune and all, but not everyone is in your situation. Sometimes people need to spend as little as possible - because they don't have $300 sitting around - so they can feed their family.

Much like you, I buy the best value, and I'm thankful that I'm in a position to be able to do that now. It wasn't that long ago that I wasn't, and I can certainly understand why people buy those $30 dishes, regardless of quality or what they want to buy. You have to eat, right? You have to have cookware to prepare food, right? If all you have to spend is $30, you buy the $30 product, right?

But not everything at Wal*Mart or any other discount store is akin to that $30 cookware. A cup of Yoplait is a cup of Yoplait, regardless of where you buy it. A Sony Playstation is a Sony Playstation. A box of Winchester ammo bought at Wal*Mart will be identical to one bought at Cabela's.

And that made-in-China toilet brush at Wal*mart will be identical to the one that Target sells, yet Wal*Mart gets all the bad press. Why do you think that is? Can you be honest enough with yourself to actually see the answer?
First, no one said you had to spend the entire $300.00 at one time. Some department stores do offer layaway's....not to mention you can find the same good quality cookware at reduced prices at Marshall's home goods etc (some of these stores also offer layaway's). I shop smart, which means I end up saving money. But, I also don't spend $300.00 + on a name brand purse, or get my nails done every 2 weeks...(but, people who need to feed their families certainly would not do this, right).

I have not been in a Walmart for years...so I cannot really talk about what their prices are....although I can say, I would never buy any meat from there. I shop at club stores and with coupons at my grocery store to stretch my money (it makes it easier to afford the $300.00 pots).

I took my Nephew school shopping, my Aunt came with us, she was of the opinion that you could not get anything cheaper then at Walmart. I showed her you could go to the department stores and get better quality clothes and shoes for the same price - if not less then Walmart. I also showed her buying in bulk was cheaper then Walmart.

To answer your question, whatever 'bad press' Walmart gets....is self inflicted.

On a side note, the toilet brush I bought at Target was not made in China, it was made in Africa. Walmart does not carry that toilet brush.

Last edited by Tassy001; 10-31-2013 at 04:02 PM..

Old 10-31-2013, 03:43 PM

3,999 posts, read 4,117,664 times
Quote:
??? If I ever do get a house, my Real Estate Tax goes DOWN - there is an extra $1,500/yr tax on my rented home because it's a rental. Put another way, if I ever do get a house, I end up with MORE money in my pocket than I have now. Sadly, most renters pay more to rent than they would pay to own.
As a renter... how do YOU pay real estate tax? Your not liable for it? That makes no sense... The tax would be a part of your rent. Your rent would cover a host of different costs.... maintenance now and future, tax, cost of purchase, and yes some profit for the landlord.

And you DO KNOW why property tax on non-owner occupied is higher right? It's that way so you pay YOUR SHARE of local taxes for police, fire, libraries, schools, etc.

Last edited by aus10; 10-31-2013 at 03:53 PM..

Old 10-31-2013, 03:49 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,394,623 times
Quote:
Most renters don't pay more for rent than a mortgage. That would only be true if you are comparing apples to grapes. Like renting a nice apartment in NYC as opposed to buying a small house in the sticks of PA. You also seem to be forgetting that owning your own home, you are responsible for everything that goes wrong and have to pay, unlike in a rental. There is also the utility expense is more in a home. In the end it is MUCH more expensive to own than to rent. I know, I did both. BTW, you're property taxes won't go down, they will go up! You only pay 1500/yr. That is CHICKEN SCRATCH! I pay 3500/yr and that is CHEAP as all hell for where I live.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:53 PM

872 posts, read 822,449 times
Quote:
LOL, home ownership has cost. Upkeep, taxes, insurance, principal and interest, HOA fees...etc etc etc.

When your fridge goes out, you cannot call the landlord and have them replace it, YOU have to replace it. When the roof has to be replaced, you cannot call the landlord and have them pay for it....YOU have to.

If you think you will have more money in your pockets...if you own vs. renting.....you are living in Fantasy land.

In the real world......Owning a home has cost that a renter does not have......

Old 10-31-2013, 03:55 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,301,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
As a renter... how do YOU pay real estate tax? Your not liable for it? That makes no sense... The tax would be a part of your rent. Your rent would cover a host of different costs.... maintenance now and future, tax, cost of purchase, and yes some profit for the landlord.

Makes lots of sense. I worked out a deal with my landlord where the prop taxes are broken out separately and I pay the actual prop taxes. Why? Because I was burned once on a GOP tax shift - prop tax cut combined with sales tax increase = I ended up with fewer dollars in my pocket.

This way since I explicitly bear the actual prop taxes, whenever there is a prop tax cut, I get to keep more of what I earn.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:10 PM

29,377 posts, read 16,286,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Because they have no need for better skilled workers. You don't hire engineers to stock shelves.
You have never worked in retail have you ?

Old 10-31-2013, 04:35 PM

79,900 posts, read 43,863,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Here lies the problem. Who are you to dictate what wage should be paid? If there are people who want to work for $1.25/hour, who are you to stop them from doing so and why?
If you wish to adhere to the extreme's argue it with someone else. I have no desire to peer over the edge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies