Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 03:14 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Cornell's School of Mgmt is considered the best in the country though. I'm sure his decision is working out for him but sometimes it does pay to get into these elite schools even if it sets you back some.
Edward, I cannot argue with you. Going to Cornell would've been a major coup for him.

But it was 7500 bucks a year over what we budgeted even with the financial aid...And I'm not wealthy.

He would've been 3000 miles from home with no pocket money or transportation and I didn't want him to work in his freshman year.

Instead, he went to the Franke School...usually a top ten to top twelve school, and a grad degree from U of A.

Besides, he had a change of heart and decided to become a teacher.

Not to mention the new car and no debt...all while staying in state.

But yeah.'.Cornell is STILL Cornell. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 03:20 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,419,564 times
Considering the way this country's going, we can use all the bookish nerds we can get.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I hear you. Congratulations on your sons acceptance there, that's no small feat.

My oldest will be in pretty much exactly the same boat as yours. He will have to choose between a high level private and debt or someplace cheaper and no debt etc.

You are 100% correct, sky won't fall and an enviable position to be in when you consider people with staggering student debts and so forth.
I don't envy your son. It's a tough decision.

I'm just not so sure that these elite schools are always worth the money.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:15 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
Uh...have you looked at the way the world works these days? Technology and Engineering is winning, and will continue to only make inroads. These people tend to be "socially awkward," but yet are rewriting the economic and labor environment. Sorry, the jocks and the frat boys are pretty much going to be working for these people. Speaking Mandarin is a BIG plus these days.
Agreed but more like speaking GOOD English is a bigger plus. I say that because China's working age pop is starting to fall like a rock in real numbers and, more and more places IN China are putting up signs in English alongside Chinese.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:25 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,319,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That's not what he said.

He's saying that if these institutions become known as Asian Schools, the type of donations these schools get could fall.

Doesn't matter if they have the highest incomes...the schools don't care about that. Asians are a tiny minority. Harvard has a 33 billion dollar endowment...and they need wealthy WHITE PEOPLE to maintain it. And for that to happen, lots of white folks have to be tied to the school somehow. It's not in the financial interest of Brown, Dartmouth, or Harvard to reduce the numbers of whites to admit more Asians.

Moreover, these schools are catacombs of social, financial, and political connections...circles that Asians don't typically run in. That plays a large part in this i'm sure. These are after all WASPY, 200+ year old institutions. Ties run deep. Asians are Johnny-come-lately's.

All that said, it doesn't matter to me if those schools are 100% Asian, but it does matter to certain well connected people when their children can't get into these schools. I'm not one of these well connected people.

That is what it all boils down to anyway

Old 02-17-2014, 06:28 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,319,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
I'm not sure how you managed to get 9 pages in without having any clue what this thread is about.

People are arguing that the number of Asian students should not be capped (limited) in the name of diversity. That students should be admitted based on merit and that Asian students should not be punished and denied acceptance because as a whole they overachieve scholastically in the US.

I do understand, what I was pointing out is that the girl in Texas complained that a black kid with the same score supposely took her slot in Texas U and now some Asian kids will soon be accused of the same thing if their numbers are not capped.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:58 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,062 times
Quote:
That's not what he said.

He's saying that if these institutions become known as Asian Schools, the type of donations these schools get could fall.

Doesn't matter if they have the highest incomes...the schools don't care about that. Asians are a tiny minority. Harvard has a 33 billion dollar endowment...and they need wealthy WHITE PEOPLE to maintain it. And for that to happen, lots of white folks have to be tied to the school somehow. It's not in the financial interest of Brown, Dartmouth, or Harvard to reduce the numbers of whites to admit more Asians.
This statement makes no sense whatsoever unless you are making a data-less statement that's implying that "Asian" alumni are less likely to endow money to their alma-mater than "Whites."

Old 02-17-2014, 07:15 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,804,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Private institutions no. They should be allowed to pick whom they want.

It also depends on the type of major. Charisma, personality, creativity can carry you much much further in certain fields than test scores. That's why the guy with the 1400 score that excelled at sports and a number of other things gets chosen over some guy with a 1500 that has a blander resume outside of the scores.
If this was the UK, don't they admit strictly based on academic results? And you can only apply up to a certain amount of schools, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed but more like speaking GOOD English is a bigger plus. I say that because China's working age pop is starting to fall like a rock in real numbers and, more and more places IN China are putting up signs in English alongside Chinese.
Good English seems to be a problem among English-speaking Americans these days. Scary!

Old 02-17-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
This statement makes no sense whatsoever unless you are making a data-less statement that's implying that "Asian" alumni are less likely to endow money to their alma-mater than "Whites."
Lemme ask you...why do you think they decided on this quota? These people obviously don't hate Asians.

What I do know is that for some years now, there's been a hell of a lot of grumbling by certain people about a perceived takeover of their universities by Asians. And it's not just the Ivies, but at many elite colleges.

For some reason, they don't think that this "take over" (something that I really don't buy) is in their best interest.

The only thing that makes sense to me is either money or something having to do with how they want their schools to be perceived is at the bottom of this.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:42 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
You said you read the articles, where did it say these proposals were in effect and being practiced?
what "proposals" ?

discrimination does not have to be written on paper as a "proposal" to be real

they ran larry summers out of harvard for his comments about gender. yet on their admissions committee ...

Quote:
Lemme ask you...why do you think they decided on this quota? These people obviously don't hate Asians.
discrimination is arguably a form of hate.

Last edited by le roi; 02-18-2014 at 06:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies