U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-31-2013, 10:16 AM
 
Location: NY
12,267 posts, read 9,438,968 times
Reputation: 8029

Advertisements

This is a little to progressive for me. From the WaPo - "In Belgium, where euthanasia is now legal for people over the age of 18, the government is considering extending it to children — something that no other country has done."

Belgium considering unprecedented law to grant euthanasia for children, dementia patients - The Washington Post

I get the fact there are people out there, including children, suffering and leading hopelessly miserable lives. But it's also easy to envision a world, especially with the government making our healthcare decisions for us, deciding a particular child is too big a burden on society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-31-2013, 10:28 AM
 
1,807 posts, read 1,467,010 times
Reputation: 988
The government isn't making those decisions for people, so the point of your whole post is flawed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2013, 10:29 AM
 
4,130 posts, read 3,854,852 times
Reputation: 3041
Well, I don't agree with them stridently that a child has the capacity for that decision...but I don't think they should be restricted from talking about it. I don't agree with limiting people's free speech, even if I disagree with what is said. Nor do I think I should be limited from speaking against it.

The slippery slope BS that if people talk about it, that the goverment will be going around murdering children just because...BS. There's a good reason that fallacy has a long and well known history of being bunk. I am still waiting for judgement from above that destroys the world stated by wingnuts after we let blacks be whites equals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2013, 10:36 AM
 
Location: NY
12,267 posts, read 9,438,968 times
Reputation: 8029
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
The government isn't making those decisions for people, so the point of your whole post is flawed.
C'mon guys, lets start using your brains here.

Remember that little girl who needed the lung transplant? Remember the hell Sebelius and the HHS put her parents through? She was just the first, and she was lucky because she was the first and there was so much attention paid to it in the MSM.

Jump ahead a couple years now...a whole lot of baby-boomers will be using up a whole lot of resources for the healthcare, and children who need lung transplants or bone-marrow transplants for childhood leukemia could well start falling through the cracks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2013, 10:39 AM
 
1,807 posts, read 1,467,010 times
Reputation: 988
I'm using my brain, thank you. Children getting adult organs has nothing to do with Euthenasia. What to do in the case of someone with very advanced stage cancer who, in spite of modern chemistry, lives every day in complete agony is totally different from whether or not children should have access to adult donor lists.

You should take some of your own medicine there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2013, 10:50 AM
 
Location: NY
12,267 posts, read 9,438,968 times
Reputation: 8029
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
I'm using my brain, thank you. Children getting adult organs has nothing to do with Euthenasia. What to do in the case of someone with very advanced stage cancer who, in spite of modern chemistry, lives every day in complete agony is totally different from whether or not children should have access to adult donor lists.

You should take some of your own medicine there.
No no, that wasn't your point. You said the government isn't making those decisions for people, when in fact they are just starting to. And what happens if America becomes single-payer, in a country with limited resources, and the government starts making decisions about who lives and who dies, including children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2013, 11:10 AM
 
16,553 posts, read 11,489,597 times
Reputation: 4230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
This is a little to progressive for me. From the WaPo - "In Belgium, where euthanasia is now legal for people over the age of 18, the government is considering extending it to children — something that no other country has done."

Belgium considering unprecedented law to grant euthanasia for children, dementia patients - The Washington Post

I get the fact there are people out there, including children, suffering and leading hopelessly miserable lives. But it's also easy to envision a world, especially with the government making our healthcare decisions for us, deciding a particular child is too big a burden on society.
Euthanasia and liquidation are a major part of the Progressive platform. It always has been. Planned parenthood was started by a huge progressive for that very reason. Look for the Progs here to seek the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2013, 11:16 AM
 
4,130 posts, read 3,854,852 times
Reputation: 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
No no, that wasn't your point. You said the government isn't making those decisions for people, when in fact they are just starting to. And what happens if America becomes single-payer, in a country with limited resources, and the government starts making decisions about who lives and who dies, including children.
They will with healthy people? Proof please.

You act like it's horrible that government might decide based on medical evidence that a terminal cancer patient might not get a quarter million in anti cancer drugs that do no good, or an anyrism case the risks of the surgery outweight the benefits. These are things private insurance companies have been doing for decades, not always very well for the patients...which regulations in the ACA is there to help stop anyone from doing.

The reality is as well, you do need to priotize care dollars. That means not restricting care for people who need it, and it does good for them, but making sure people aren't getting care that does nothing but waste money.

This doesn't mean anyone is murdering healthy people and giving others their organs. Quit that stupid nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2013, 11:17 AM
 
16,553 posts, read 11,489,597 times
Reputation: 4230
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
They will with healthy people? Proof please.

You act like it's horrible that government might decide based on medical evidence that a terminal cancer patient might not get a quarter million in anti cancer drugs that do no good, or an anyrism case the risks of the surgery outweight the benefits. These are things private insurance companies have been doing for decades, not always very well for the patients...which the ACA there to help stop.

The reality is as well, you do need to priotize care dollars. That means not restricting care for people who need it, and it does good for them, but making sure people aren't getting care that does nothing but waste money.

This doesn't mean anyone is murdering healthy people and giving others their organs. Quit that stupid nonsense.
Government SHOULD NOT BE MAKING THOSE DECISIONS! Quit that stupid nonsense. You would have fit right in the Soviet Union.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2013, 11:19 AM
 
16,857 posts, read 8,597,786 times
Reputation: 9675
How European of them.. the progs will fall in line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top