Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 05:56 PM

11,339 posts, read 16,691,416 times

Advertisements

Figure it's only a matter of time before an all out race war happens...and we can all blame the gov't for pushing it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~

A controversial 600-plus page manual used by the military to train its Equal Opportunity officers teaches that "healthy, white, heterosexual, Christian" men hold an unfair advantage over other races, and warns in great detail about a so-called "White Male Club."

“Simply put, a healthy, white, heterosexual, Christian male receives many unearned advantages of social privilege, whereas a black, homosexual, atheist female in poor health receives many unearned disadvantages of social privilege,” reads a statement in the manual created by the Defense Equal Opportunity Management Institute (DEOMI).

Pentagon training manual: white males have unfair advantages | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 11:35 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Many poor white males would disagree. Can someone name some of these privileges? Two that come to mind are the ability to enjoy relative safety walking outdoors at night and residential dwelling advantages when looking for housing. Both of these advantages are largely nullified by poverty.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:50 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Figure it's only a matter of time before an all out race war happens...and we can all blame the gov't for pushing it.

A controversial 600-plus page manual used by the military to train its Equal Opportunity officers teaches that "healthy, white, heterosexual, Christian" men hold an unfair advantage over other races, and warns in great detail about a so-called "White Male Club."

“Simply put, a healthy, white, heterosexual, Christian male receives many unearned advantages of social privilege, whereas a black, homosexual, atheist female in poor health receives many unearned disadvantages of social privilege,” reads a statement in the manual created by the Defense Equal Opportunity Management Institute (DEOMI).

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Many poor white males would disagree. Can someone name some of these privileges? Two that come to mind are the ability to enjoy relative safety walking outdoors at night and residential dwelling advantages when looking for housing. Both of these advantages are largely nullified by poverty.

I'd add in wealth to the equation to complete the analysis. Many poor white heterosexual males that I know would agree.

Gays are at a disadvantage in this country due to prejudice and the social ills that result from non-acceptance. Non-Christians are at a disadvantage from a certain sect of the christian (un capitalized to respect the REAL Christians) community. You see everyday on these boards people skeptical of Muslims, spiritualist, athiests, etc. The poor are often looked down upon by everyone. Regardless of race.

It's not an issue of "blame" or something that those in the majority should feel guilty about, but it is something that deserves serious discussion so that we can create a more equal society where worth is determined more by merit than race, sexual orientation, wealth, etc. Some of the most morally corrupt people in this country are rich, or in law enforcement, or at the top of the societal totem pole. Some of the most morally sound people are poor or hold perceived menial jobs. It's why we're in such bad shape as we are currently.

There's homosexual and bisexual people in this country who practice celebacy yet are labeled sexually immoral. There are athiests who have better morals than Conservative christians (yes, talking about people and being mean spirited and hateful is bad!). There are spiritualist in this country being persecuted for their practices (marijuana, other mind altering substances that have been used for thousands of years).

There's women out there KICKING ASS but struggling to be treated as equals in certain industries or being paid less than some of their male counterparts. There's women out there being harrassed and sexually assaulted by us men and then being blamed when in fact they are the victims. There's women out there being intimidated and threatened by men.

Of course you have to take everything on a case by case basis, but the laws, customs, and culture in our current society often times influence who the winners and losers are. We've made a lot of progress over the years, but there's still many cultural biases that exist in our country.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:51 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
In this society, simply having white skin affords one greater consideration and a far easier time of it. It's called the "unearned privilege". Even a poor white man wouldn't trade places with a rich black person in this society. Pretend not to know this.

This is elementary stuff.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:05 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
In accordance with the OP, I have it the best in the US. Not only am I white at first glance (plus I'm Christian and straight), but I was born and raised in Puerto Rico and am of almost exclusively of Spanish (European) heritage, qualifying me for Affirmative Action quotas. LOL!!! Oh, and I'm fully bilingual.

In reality, I haven't found that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow the OP refers to, subtly. Even though, on paper, I have way more advantages than every single P&PC poster. So, I call exaggeration on the whole white male privilege thing

Old 11-01-2013, 12:07 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 22 days ago)

27,632 posts, read 16,115,213 times
It's kick ass being white... sorry suckers...4 nothing!

Old 11-01-2013, 12:17 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times
It's not about Pride its about cultural biases.

If your a marijuana user in this country your immoral, aloof, non-employable. If your an alcohol user your all good and can even drink on the job in some professions.

Don't worry though, society is waking up (yet again). We're coming out of the dark ages and you can already see the biases against sexual orientation, race, and gender being kicked to the curb.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:23 AM

17,602 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post

except in the NBA & NFL

Old 11-01-2013, 12:27 AM

17,602 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Let's see, I'm white, Catholic, and I live in a 14 year old mobile home that is 14'x48' with a wife who has spinal problems. Yep, I got it so easy.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:31 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
The white male privilege talking point is liberal clap trap I've never understood. A white male from somewhere like Greenwich, CT rarely has anything to do or in common with a white male from the backwoods of Alabama. Not saying something is wrong with the latter. I just don't understand or correlate how they can think something so stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies