Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 12:50 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
FYI, indentured servants were not slaves.

Because only black Americans and Native Americans were systematically oppressed for the majority of our country's existence. Japanese were not. Chinese were not. Nor were any of the European minorities in this country systematically denied rights afforded by the constitution and the declaration of independence (life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness - property was initially in this position) blacks and natives were denied all of them for hundreds of years while also being continuously terrorized and killed.

You will probably think it is some sort of blame but really it is not. This is what happened to blacks and natives. That is why these groups have horrible statistics when compared to white Americans and others.

The fact that many of you cease to acknowledge and understand this is the reason why you are more than likely too afraid to have these conversations in public around people who are black especially.

You don't have these conversations because you know that the facts (i.e. "their excuses") are true and you just don't want to acknowledge it.

FWIW, Indentured Servant is giving you all a good lesson. He is much more harsh than I, I don't think most whites are racist, I think a whole lot are ignorant about the history of black Americans, and due to that hold prejudicial views which can easily be seen as racist views. Especially in regards to the societal racism descriptions posted earlier in this thread.

Both of the bold actually do make you a racist. Racism is the belief that one culture is superior to another. So you think I, as a married black mother of 2 children and whose family has been in this country for nearly 300 years is culturally inferior to you as a white person.

I don't know any black Americans who are tolerant of "abhorrent and violent behavior" and that one is really out there IMO. But that one combined with the first (which is the actual definition of racism) makes you a racist.

If you don't want to be that way then you should get to know some black people and especially read literature by black authors, you should focus on non-fiction. If you DM me I will provide you a list of reading material.

If you want to continue to be racist that is fine. Plenty of people are but don't get upset or defensive when people label you as such.
On point again Reside!

The truth is harsh sister. Like I said, I think that the majority of white folks are racist (and I would say at LEAST 80% of white conservatives or republicans are). I stand by that. However, like I mentioned before, some of the BEST humans on this earth, that I have had the pleasure of meeting and befriending are white folks. How about the irony of that?

That said, being a racist does not necessarily mean you are a bad person or have a bad heart. It does not necessarily mean that your racism is coupled with hate or animus towards blacks. It just means that you see blacks, as a group, as being inferior to other groups....for no external reason. The latter is the kicker. Once you dismiss the external causation for socioeconomic inequality, and you believe in your mind and heart that the inequality is not externally caused, then you become a racist. If its not external, then it can only be INTERNAL. Thus, its INTERNAL differences, between the races, which account for the different outcomes of the races in the socioeconomic realm. That's racist.....regardless of how harsh it is.

If a person believes that most people are poor in the USA due to personal character flaws or internal flaws relative to others, then how does such a mind process the fact that blacks are disproportionately poor or, from another view, have nearly 3 times the poverty rate of whites? If one does not grant exception to their rule for blacks, due to the history of racism in this nation, then does not one believe that blacks have more inherent flaws as a race of people? I mean, that is basic inductive reasoning.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 11-01-2013 at 12:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 01:00 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
FYI, indentured servants were not slaves.

Because only black Americans and Native Americans were systematically oppressed for the majority of our country's existence. Japanese were not. Chinese were not. Nor were any of the European minorities in this country systematically denied rights afforded by the constitution and the declaration of independence (life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness - property was initially in this position) blacks and natives were denied all of them for hundreds of years while also being continuously terrorized and killed.

You will probably think it is some sort of blame but really it is not. This is what happened to blacks and natives. That is why these groups have horrible statistics when compared to white Americans and others.

The fact that many of you cease to acknowledge and understand this is the reason why you are more than likely too afraid to have these conversations in public around people who are black especially.

You don't have these conversations because you know that the facts (i.e. "their excuses") are true and you just don't want to acknowledge it.

FWIW, Indentured Servant is giving you all a good lesson. He is much more harsh than I, I don't think most whites are racist, I think a whole lot are ignorant about the history of black Americans, and due to that hold prejudicial views which can easily be seen as racist views. Especially in regards to the societal racism descriptions posted earlier in this thread.

Both of the bold actually do make you a racist. Racism is the belief that one culture is superior to another. So you think I, as a married black mother of 2 children and whose family has been in this country for nearly 300 years is culturally inferior to you as a white person.

I don't know any black Americans who are tolerant of "abhorrent and violent behavior" and that one is really out there IMO. But that one combined with the first (which is the actual definition of racism) makes you a racist.

If you don't want to be that way then you should get to know some black people and especially read literature by black authors, you should focus on non-fiction. If you DM me I will provide you a list of reading material.

If you want to continue to be racist that is fine. Plenty of people are but don't get upset or defensive when people label you as such.

Bull crap! Study history a bit before you let your fingers fly....

Discrimination and the Irish American Experience

In the 21st century, Irish Americans are widely considered to be “white” and reap the benefits of white skin privilege. In previous centuries, however, the Irish endured some of the same discrimination that racial minorities endure today. As Jessie Daniels explained in a piece on the Racism Review website called “St. Patrick’s Day, Irish-Americans and the Changing Boundaries of Whiteness,” the Irish faced marginalization as newcomers to the United States in the 19th century. This was largely because of how the English treated them.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:06 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,472,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
MOST of them anyway. Not actually formally belonging to a gang doesn't mean they aren't gang members either.
What? Are you sniffing glue again?

Old 11-01-2013, 01:07 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
On point again Reside!

The truth is harsh sister. Like I said, I think that the majority of white folks are racist (and I would say at LEAST 80% of white conservatives or republicans are). I stand by that. However, like I mentioned before, some of the BEST humans on this earth, that I have had the pleasure of meeting and befriending are white folks. How about the irony of that?

That said, being a racist does not necessarily mean you are a bad person or have a bad heart. It does not necessarily mean that your racism is coupled with hate or animus towards blacks. It just means that you see blacks, as a group, as being inferior to other groups....for no external reason. The latter is the kicker. Once you dismiss the external causation for socioeconomic inequality, and you believe in your mind and heart that the inequality is not externally caused, then you become a racist. If its not external, then it can only be INTERNAL. Thus, its INTERNAL differences, between the races, which account for the different outcomes of the races in the socioeconomic realm. That's racist.....regardless of how harsh it is.

If a person believes that most people are poor in the USA due to personal character flaws or internal flaws relative to others, then how does such a mind process the fact that blacks are disproportionately poor or, from another view, have nearly 3 times the poverty rate of whites? If one does not grant exception to their rule for blacks, due to the history of racism in this nation, then does not one believe that blacks have more inherent flaws as a race of people? I mean, that is basic inductive reasoning.
You have any proof to back up your claim, or do you just want to throw random numbers out, trying to support your daily drivel of racism?

As it stands, the racists I have met have never been Conservative. I wrote a post on here about a week or two ago about some co-workers who were racist. I even told a story to illustrate it. And guess what? Those were no Conservatives, so spare me your tired, worn out, tattered race card. You are not a victim, and it's not Conservatives who are "keeping you down".

Old 11-01-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You have any proof to back up your claim, or do you just want to throw random numbers out, trying to support your daily drivel of racism?

As it stands, the racists I have met have never been Conservative. I wrote a post on here about a week or two ago about some co-workers who were racist. I even told a story to illustrate it. And guess what? Those were no Conservatives, so spare me your tired, worn out, tattered race card. You are not a victim, and it's not Conservatives who are "keeping you down".
The only proof I have is the logic of the argument. If A = B and B = C, then I think that it is fair to say that A = C without some formal proof. The conservative mantra and premise about what makes people poor and dysfunctional, is inherently racist, because it does not grant exception for the impact of racism and historical unfairness in shaping the current conditions. Now.....if you don't actually believe this....then maybe you should stop defending conservatism as a package deal. I don't think Jack Kemp was a racist....but then again many conservatives did not consider him to be a real Republican.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:13 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,472,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
The study focuses on those that are considered "symbolically" 'racist' and their influence on public policy.

PLOS ONE: Racism, Gun Ownership and Gun Control: Biased Attitudes in US Whites May Influence Policy Decisions

As cited as an example of 'symbolic' racism and policy is the Mulford Act.

Mulford Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Definition of Symbolic racism:

Symbolic racism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1. Racial prejudice and discrimination no longer exists.
2. Any Black-White differences in economic outcomes is a result of Black people’s lack of motivation to work hard.
3. Black people’s anger over inequality is unjustified since they are unwilling to work to get what they want.
4. Black people seek special favors rather than working to get ahead.
5. Relative to White people, Black people have been getting more economically than they deserve.

These are a lot of beliefs being displayed daily on this site right here.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:26 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,834,088 times
indentured servant, i dont think its whites that are racist, i think its white conservative men.

just look at the whole zimmerman/martin incident as a case study.

you could not find one white conservative male that was even 50/50 on the case or supported martin. they all backed zimmerman, all they all said martin had it coming and that he was a devious thug.

also, the recent barneys episode. they attacked the black kid for spending 300 on a belt, and didnt care about him being detained and questioned for spending his own money on a belt.

white conservative males do not defend or get behind black individuals.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:29 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
The only proof I have is the logic of the argument. If A = B and B = C, then I think that it is fair to say that A = C without some formal proof. The conservative mantra and premise about what makes people poor and dysfunctional, is inherently racist, because it does not grant exception for the impact of racism and historical unfairness in shaping the current conditions. Now.....if you don't actually believe this....then maybe you should stop defending conservatism as a package deal. I don't think Jack Kemp was a racist....but then again many conservatives did not consider him to be a real Republican.
Then, I guess it is logical to say that all dems are racist becuase A = Robert Byrd = KKK = dems, are all part off the KKK who are obviously racist....

Old 11-01-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
indentured servant, i dont think its whites that are racist, i think its white conservative men.

just look at the whole zimmerman/martin incident as a case study.

you could not find one white conservative male that was even 50/50 on the case or supported martin. they all backed zimmerman, all they all said martin had it coming and that he was a devious thug.

also, the recent barneys episode. they attacked the black kid for spending 300 on a belt, and didnt care about him being detained and questioned for spending his own money on a belt.

white conservative males do not defend or get behind black individuals.
I imagine that more than a few people are just followers and adopt the mantra of their circles. Sometimes people adopt positions just trying to fit in and really do not share all the same sentiments. Before one parrots an argument or talking point, they should really understand its implications beyond the nominal, lest one be seen as a racist.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:36 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Well, that's where you and I differ. When I think of poor people, I don't automatically assume they are all black. Why do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies